• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

You have 12-15 scholarships to give...

bengalcub

...where would you invest them?

One JC QB
One JC RB (speed)
Two JC WR (speed)
Two JC OL
One JC TE (run blocking)

One JC DE (speed rush)
One JC MLB (can get off blocks)
One JC OLB
One JC CB
One JC Punter

3-5 FR

Coach Z does no longer has the time to be patient in my opinion. Everyone would like to see very few JC's and I understand that. However, if you are counting on True FR and underclassman to win games, that may be a tall order in two short years.

I am curious, how would you invest and why? Build for a future, try to win now or a combo of both? I don't think that there is a wrong answer.

I agree Cub, I think you're right on the money. Right now Zamberlin can't just recruit mainly freshmen to build for the future. But many of us would be happy if we can win some games within the next couple of years, even if we did have to rely on mainly JC help. I think that the staff probably didn't do a very good job of recruiting many of the o-linemen that we have, and we need help there. And sure, many of our running backs have been out with injuries, but even if they were all healthy, we still could use some better talent there. Honestly, I think Russel Hill can get the job done with a better supporting cast than what we've had. I wonder if there's any players on scholarship that Zamberlin will just run off the team at season's end. BTW, in a few weeks our hapless Bengals will be playing the Mighty Griz in Poky. If you meet me down at Buster's to watch the game I'll buy you a burger.

Just remember that with the JC kid comes academic risk in some cases, and potential APR issues, so i think the JCs will get prioritized for need ... I can't imagine 12 to 15 JCs, but 5-7? That is more feasible in this climate, and it will help balance the classes a little better. Just a thought.

ISUSID

Interesting. I think Z has to do both (both meaning win now and build for the future). Of the 12-15 schollys, I could see 7-8 going to JC kids and the rest for FR. It will be interesting to see what Z perceives to be the priorities for the next class. However, I would have to agree with cub on what positions to seek immediate help.

I've got a few questions, as well...

1. Of the 2009 class, how many and what positions are redshirts this year?
2. Of Z's 2007 class, how many went on LDS missions and what is the likelihood some of those kids will be here in Spring 2010 ball? I don't see them contributing immediately, but it's possible they could add depth. Any word on Mike Davenport's return to ISU?
3. What's the likelihood of getting a few FBS drop downs who could make an immediate impact, albeit for only one or two seasons? I realize it's not the ideal situation, but the coaching staff must have some connections to FBS programs to find 2-4 guys who are seeking and could get significant playing time at ISU.

In my opinion, the 2010 class is going to determine Z's future at ISU beyond 2011.

No risk if you do your homework correctly.
I say you are close Cub.
I envision 8-9 JC players helping in the following positions:
QB-I think we need a 2 yr JC kid here that can compete for #1 spot, but may not have room for 5 qbs on roster so someone would have to go.
RB-definitely need a burner here badly that can be given the rock 15-20/game consistently. Easy spot to get a JC kid at as long as you promise and deliver the pt to him.
WR-I think we are ok here and no JC needed.
OL-need at least one, we have a couple now that just need to perform.
TE-yes need run blocking and experience for sure
DE-I say 2 here unless a returning guy steps up big in last part of season
MLB-YES I say the 2 we have should move outside, they aren't run stoppers too small and don't engage enuf at LOS and in the holes. Get a bad mofo from JC to play the middle.
OLB-YES speed
CB-yes, need a lockdown to go up against opposing teams best WR
P-needed but we should be able to get a hs kid, if not there are plenty of good JC punters out there, even a 1 year qualifier if need be.
Gotta have at least 6 incoming freshman to keep balance though.
We should be good at WR with our returning kids and any freshman recruit. Good youth out there now for us at this position. I like the size/speed combo of some of these freshman compared to past players at position. They just need experience/time and a good scheme to use their talents.

lol, don't you think that if 30 players weren't traveling that there wouldn't be enough to safely play the game?
Besides, that belongs on a separate thread.

You are right...I heard the AD had pulled 30 players claiming they were not going to NAU and something about Big Sky Commissioner at ISU...If all this is true then I'm sure Cub will find out and let us know.

I can end this one right now, since Kelvin Ang actually called because someone called him about it and got the whole thing wrong. On Tuesday, several players missed practice across a variety of sports because they were dealing with academic issues pertaining to the mid-term reports that were given to each coach and the administration. Most of the issues with grades were things like "the lab isn't factored in", or a grade was inputted incorrectly, but coaches and the administration felt it was better to handled it right then and there instead of waiting until the end of the semester when it might be too late, or look odd.

Just a case of trying to stay on top of things...happy to announce that we took 58 kids to Flagstaff, and volleyball and soccer and everyone else is at full strength.

ISUSID

GOBIGORANGE said:
You are right...I heard the AD had pulled 30 players claiming they were not going to NAU and something about Big Sky Commissioner at ISU...If all this is true then I'm sure Cub will find out and let us know.

I hadn't heard anything about it.

It looks like everything worked out and that is good.

Let's look at it by position: Offense first

WR: We will have 5 of the present recievers in two years, 1 SR., 3 Juniors, 1 Soph. The only speed threats are Taylor and Benavidas, Krosch, Rumble, and Senegal are possession recievers. I go with Freshman here for the next two years. We could have used a JC this year but will have good balance if we keep getting receivers like Taylor, Benavidas, and Senegal.

RB: We need a speed back now, a good JC would have helped this years, and is still a need next years. Freshmen are never the answer because RB's at this level have to block and most HS backs can't. That being said, blocking is also the weak spot for JC's as well. Morgan and Laporta are not bad backs, they are taking the heat this year because our line is playing so badly and our scheme is bad. I say you recruit a HS back each year and a JC in next years class for maturity.

OL: The scheme and coaching are obviously effecting this group, might even be some disention in the group. The only change in the group was Clayson, a kid who should be a red-shirt freshman playing guard rather than a Soph. playing LT. Not all of the pressure is coming from the left side, it is coming from everywhere. I still maintain against CW and EW, something we were doing was tipping our snap count. As I stated before, the rush changed as soon as Hill came in, they were not getting the great jump on our linemen and two off sides happened. Don't know what it was, but something changed. We will have 3 linemen from this group in two years, we need to recruit freshmen and JC's as needed, not wholesale JC recruiting.

TE: We will have all of our TE's back in two years. That being said, do you realize we don't have one TE that was offered a fullride out of HS. As I have seen over the years, freshmen TE's are not good blockers, Mennear was not, Winn was not, and Henry was not. It takes time to make young TE's blockers, might have as much to do with the line blocking at the linemen do. If we continue to get good freshmen, we do not need to go the JC route here, we just need to get good young freshmen.

QB: Now for our favorite scape goat. QB's are only as good as the supporting cast and are being affected the most with the poor decisions of the last two years. Our line is a shambles, our OC does not seem to know what is going on, and we did not bring in impact players until this last class recruiting. Yet for some reason beyond me, we all expect the QB to be a god. Hill, Blum, Evan, are what they are. Butler would do no better than those that did not quit. We will have to recruit freshman next year because no JC in his right mind is going to want to compete against Hill for a starting job, he has more than proved he will compete and is good at it. Any JC coming in unless he can redshirt is going to want to play right away, with two seniors who know the system, a sophmore who knows the system, a freshman who will know the system, another freshman coming in January, where are you going to put a JC. We need to worry more about getting a OC who can tutor a young line coach than we do recruiting a player who may or may not be able to beat out what is here. Focus on the strengths of your players, use these strengths to make a winning program.

blackfootbengal said:
Let's look at it by position: Offense first

WR: We will have 5 of the present recievers in two years, 1 SR., 3 Juniors, 1 Soph. The only speed threats are Taylor and Benavidas, Krosch, Rumble, and Senegal are possession recievers. I go with Freshman here for the next two years. We could have used a JC this year but will have good balance if we keep getting receivers like Taylor, Benavidas, and Senegal.

RB: We need a speed back now, a good JC would have helped this years, and is still a need next years. Freshmen are never the answer because RB's at this level have to block and most HS backs can't. That being said, blocking is also the weak spot for JC's as well. Morgan and Laporta are not bad backs, they are taking the heat this year because our line is playing so badly and our scheme is bad. I say you recruit a HS back each year and a JC in next years class for maturity.

OL: The scheme and coaching are obviously effecting this group, might even be some disention in the group. The only change in the group was Clayson, a kid who should be a red-shirt freshman playing guard rather than a Soph. playing LT. Not all of the pressure is coming from the left side, it is coming from everywhere. I still maintain against CW and EW, something we were doing was tipping our snap count. As I stated before, the rush changed as soon as Hill came in, they were not getting the great jump on our linemen and two off sides happened. Don't know what it was, but something changed. We will have 3 linemen from this group in two years, we need to recruit freshmen and JC's as needed, not wholesale JC recruiting.

TE: We will have all of our TE's back in two years. That being said, do you realize we don't have one TE that was offered a fullride out of HS. As I have seen over the years, freshmen TE's are not good blockers, Mennear was not, Winn was not, and Henry was not. It takes time to make young TE's blockers, might have as much to do with the line blocking at the linemen do. If we continue to get good freshmen, we do not need to go the JC route here, we just need to get good young freshmen.

QB: Now for our favorite scape goat. QB's are only as good as the supporting cast and are being affected the most with the poor decisions of the last two years. Our line is a shambles, our OC does not seem to know what is going on, and we did not bring in impact players until this last class recruiting. Yet for some reason beyond me, we all expect the QB to be a god. Hill, Blum, Evan, are what they are. Butler would do no better than those that did not quit. We will have to recruit freshman next year because no JC in his right mind is going to want to compete against Hill for a starting job, he has more than proved he will compete and is good at it. Any JC coming in unless he can redshirt is going to want to play right away, with two seniors who know the system, a sophmore who knows the system, a freshman who will know the system, another freshman coming in January, where are you going to put a JC. We need to worry more about getting a OC who can tutor a young line coach than we do recruiting a player who may or may not be able to beat out what is here. Focus on the strengths of your players, use these strengths to make a winning program.

Hjelseth is a TE who was offered out of HS and is medical redshirting this year, just for your knowledge.

Hjelseth good hands, can't handle blocking load, so I say get a JC TE.
Was a WR in high school converted to a TE.

And I disagree with Blackfoot on the QB thing with not being able to compete with Hill. Even more so after watching this disgusting pick for wut should have been 6 to the NAU LB. By yet again an unexplainable bad pass.
The right JC QB could come in here and start asap and provide some needed skills at the position.

bengalbeliever said:
Hjelseth good hands, can't handle blocking load, so I say get a JC TE.
Was a WR in high school converted to a TE.

And I disagree with Blackfoot on the QB thing with not being able to compete with Hill. Even more so after watching this disgusting pick for wut should have been 6 to the NAU LB. By yet again an unexplainable bad pass.
The right JC QB could come in here and start asap and provide some needed skills at the position.

Dont know how we can make that assessment since he has been out all year, has not been put in a starting role at TE yet, but yes being a former WR in high school, catching the ball would naturally be a stronger point for him than blocking. Word on the street is that Z is strongly thinking about going to spread offense next year, anyone have any insight on this?

I agree with you beleiver about the QB situation...the guys we have just dont seem to be able to lead the pack, they'll look good one drive, but the next they will self-destruct.

It is up to the coaching staff to recruit the best players possible for the positions that need to be filled either by going the JC route, bringing in true freshmen, or a combination of both. Hopefully, ISU picks up some great recruits as next year will be the true test for the future of the ISU football program. The Bengals are wanting to win and this program has to start winning next year as there will be no excuses.

Unless one of them leaves the program, we wont bring in a JC quarterback. We already have 6 (5 on scholarship) for next year, if Justin Level is still here grayshirting. No way we recruit another.
We need to get more athletic at RB and DB, and add more depth along the O-line. We need to look at JC's and sign at least 8-10 guys that can help immediately. And I would really like to see us get an explosive punt returner (like Finley or Beckles). Here's how I would break down the JC recruiting: 1 RB, 3 OL's, 2 DT's, 1 LB, 2-3 DB's.

isusid said:
I can end this one right now, since Kelvin Ang actually called because someone called him about it and got the whole thing wrong. On Tuesday, several players missed practice across a variety of sports because they were dealing with academic issues pertaining to the mid-term reports that were given to each coach and the administration. Most of the issues with grades were things like "the lab isn't factored in", or a grade was inputted incorrectly, but coaches and the administration felt it was better to handled it right then and there instead of waiting until the end of the semester when it might be too late, or look odd.

Just a case of trying to stay on top of things...happy to announce that we took 58 kids to Flagstaff, and volleyball and soccer and everyone else is at full strength.

ISUSID

There may be your academic problem right there. I don't think you are supposed to "inputted" anything!

j/k :lol:

Latest posts

Back