Next years starters and top resevers

WSU Basketball talk & news.
wazzuwildcat03
Big Sky 1st Team

Thought it would be fun to speculate on next years team. We have at least one more opening and the roster is always changing, but if I had to guess next years rotation, this is what I would guess for now.

PG. SO Jawara
SG. SR McEwen
SF. SR Overton
PF. FR. Jones
C. SR Carlson

Top reserves in order of playing time.
SR Kozak
SR Bassett
JR Porter
SO Cunningham
SO Percy
SO Kupsas
JR Nzekwesi

I can see Kozak starting instead of Jones, but I think Jones is too good not to start. He is so versatile and valuable. We will see who else we bring in, but I love the depth and expercise. I know Coach Rahe only likes to play 8 guys, but would love to see a solid 9 man rotation. I think we have the depth to do that. :rockon:
oldrunner
10 Time Big Sky Champ
I am a fan of: Weber State
Big Sky school I dislike most: Idaho

wazzuwildcat03 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:28 pm Thought it would be fun to speculate on next years team. We have at least one more opening and the roster is always changing, but if I had to guess next years rotation, this is what I would guess for now.

PG. SO Jawara
SG. SR McEwen
SF. SR Overton
PF. FR. Jones
C. SR Carlson

Top reserves in order of playing time.
SR Kozak
SR Bassett
JR Porter
SO Cunningham
SO Percy
SO Kupsas
JR Nzekwesi

I can see Kozak starting instead of Jones, but I think Jones is too good not to start. He is so versatile and valuable. We will see who else we bring in, but I love the depth and expercise. I know Coach Rahe only likes to play 8 guys, but would love to see a solid 9 man rotation. I think we have the depth to do that. :rockon:
I would rather wait to see who else comes in, who developes their skills over the summer, and who fits in to what the coaches are trying to accomplish. I am encouraged by who we have coming back, who we have coming in, and how our coaches have responded to changes in the game.

I do feel that graduate transfers are usually not coming in to be bit players. These guys are starters at best and major role players at worst. I am excited to see what comes next.
Things are good, but they are sure to get better! :nod:
baller
Big Sky 1st Team

I think we might have the depth to play 10 deep this next season. However, Rahe can't seem to manage more than 8. I see the starters and backups, who should all get backup time, as:

Starters Backups
C - Cody Carlson Dontay Bassett
PF - Dillon Jones Michael Kozak
W - JJ Overton Zahir Porter
SG - Koby McEwen Tavian Percy
PG - Sisoho Jawara KJ Cunningham

Good luck Randy in trying to figure out how to handle 10 in your rotation. I believe we would be a better team if he can figure out how to manage 10.
oldrunner
10 Time Big Sky Champ

baller wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:21 am I think we might have the depth to play 10 deep this next season. However, Rahe can't seem to manage more than 8. I see the starters and backups, who should all get backup time, as:

Starters Backups
C - Cody Carlson Dontay Bassett
PF - Dillon Jones Michael Kozak
W - JJ Overton Zahir Porter
SG - Koby McEwen Tavian Percy
PG - Sisoho Jawara KJ Cunningham

Good luck Randy in trying to figure out how to handle 10 in your rotation. I believe we would be a better team if he can figure out how to manage 10.
I still expect us to sign at least one more big man, maybe two. I think we have all the guards we need, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign a combo player like Jones, a player who can do a little bit of everything. Dillon is a guard who can guard the 4 position well. He can play 2, 3, or 4. It's hard to keep Kozak off the floor. Bassett falls into that category as well. I think the competition for PT will be intense at all of the positions. :coffee:

I too would like to see a larger rotation of players, certainly up until the last couple of weeks. I think that we could see it evolve that way.
talhadfoursteals
10 Time Big Sky Champ

There are 10 guys who can legitimately contribute. With some development, 11 or 12. I think we see Randy sign one more this Spring. If he doesn't that is fine too. Bassett with a year in the program and healthy, can be the rim protector, rebounder, we need. I also keep hoping that Nzekwesi does what his brother did at Oral Roberts, and develops each year he's in the program. When he was on the floor, the guy gave it his all. We don't need him shooting threes, but ready to play defense and play with his back toward the basket, on offense. Regardless, the team is looking like a definite conference contender.
PURPLEFOGDOG DID YOU GRAB MY A$$?!? Dew the DEW!
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/351026 ... arge-o.gif
oldrunner
10 Time Big Sky Champ

talhadfoursteals wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:14 pm There are 10 guys who can legitimately contribute. With some development, 11 or 12. I think we see Randy sign one more this Spring. If he doesn't that is fine too. Bassett with a year in the program and healthy, can be the rim protector, rebounder, we need. I also keep hoping that Nzekwesi does what his brother did at Oral Roberts, and develops each year he's in the program. When he was on the floor, the guy gave it his all. We don't need him shooting threes, but ready to play defense and play with his back toward the basket, on offense. Regardless, the team is looking like a definite conference contender.
Agreed. We have 12 solid players on the squad right now. We don't have a pressing need. There isn't a turd in the bunch. The only way we should bring anybody in is if they are better than anything we currently have. There are still a ton of really good players out there, so it isn't out of the question. It's nice to be recruiting from a position of strength.

If it is with the guys we have or if we have additions, I just want to see us take the next step. I want a BSC championship and a good showing in the dance. I don't think it is too much to ask. Can't hardly wait for next October. :nod:

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State