Looking Ahead

WSU Basketball talk & news.
BigT
Newb
I am a fan of: Weber State

Re: Looking Ahead

Post by BigT » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Old Runner, I appreciate your dedication to Weber State Basketball! But let’s be realistic here. We are going backwards! I have been a fan since I was little, I’m a graduate, I have 5 siblings who all attended Weber State, I am a proud sponsor, and I attended the game in Logan and have never been so embarrassed to be a Weber fan.
Here’s my main issues;
Losing by 55 points to the Duke Blue Devils would be completely embarrassing, but it wasn’t Duke! It was a team from Logan Utah!
Rahe is the recruiter! So if we don’t have the players to compete, then he isn’t doing his job. He isn’t a meteorologist, you can’t be consistently wrong or bad and still have a job like a weatherman.
Other WSU coaches have had a bad game or two, but nothing like this. Also what has he done with the talent? We did nothing special with Dame and he is the highest draft pick in WSU history, he is an all star in the NBA, and arguably one of the top 10 players in the world. Yet we did nothing! Let me expound for you, Eddie Gill, Harold Arsenea, Stan Rose, Al Hamilton, Ruben Nemhard. All won huge games, went to the NCAA tourney. None of them played in the NBA except Eddie Gill! Should I continue, Joel Bolomboy, Jeremy Senglin - made NBA teams for a time and won nothing at Weber with coach Rahe! Jerrick Harding? Incredible player, but it’s hard to win when you are double and triple teamed because you have no one around you to hit open shots consistently.
I look forward to the season every year. I fill 10 seats every game! After seeing what we have this year, I am not optimistic and have not been for the past 7 years.
Change needs to happen! Sooner than later! We have a nicer building and facilities than the large majority of the teams we play! And we have an extremely weak non conference schedule every year! If we are going to lose by 55 points and be ok with our effort it better be the Duke Blue Devils!

talhadfoursteals
10 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by talhadfoursteals » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:55 pm

A 55pt beat down definitely wasn't the way I thought the Cats would start the season (frankly it seems appropriate since an ass-kicking at the hands of Montana was how we ended last season). Yet, since I don't expect much this season, whatever we get will be a bonus. So, like pirate, I will sit back, take a deep breath, attend tomorrow nights game and see how this team of Cats grow. If they win, I'll be happily surprised. If not, well, I didn't expect much from the get go, so...
PURPLEFOGDOG DID YOU GRAB MY A$$?!? Dew the DEW!
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/351026 ... arge-o.gif

WSUfan
2 Time Big Sky Champ
Big Sky school I dislike most: Montana

Post by WSUfan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:07 pm

talhadfoursteals wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:55 pm
A 55pt beat down definitely wasn't the way I thought the Cats would start the season (frankly it seems appropriate since an ass-kicking at the hands of Montana was how we ended last season). Yet, since I don't expect much this season, whatever we get will be a bonus. So, like pirate, I will sit back, take a deep breath, attend tomorrow nights game and see how this team of Cats grow. If they win, I'll be happily surprised. If not, well, I didn't expect much from the get go, so...
How was that for growing? I feel terrible for players, staff, workers, students, fans, and everyone that has to watch this garbage of a coach. Rahe is terrible. No improvements, not a single positive from this mess. Oh, and that was our marquee home game, and I think Rahe drew sub 2,000 fans to the game. Year 14 and we can't do anything. I would be happier if we let anyone else coach and finish out the year. I wish Rahe to be fired, and start the rebuild of a once dominate and proud program. Things can only get better with Rahe gone. If you select a good replacement, you can find immediate success (USU among others). Tal, I guess you and I can sit back and wait for January. But I promise, come January, we will be wanting football back. I would council the players to really seek out a transfer and save their eligibility for elsewhere.
#JUSTWEBER

talhadfoursteals
10 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by talhadfoursteals » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:55 pm

WSUfan wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:07 pm
talhadfoursteals wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:55 pm
How was that for growing? I feel terrible for players, staff, workers, students, fans, and everyone that has to watch this garbage of a coach. Rahe is terrible. No improvements, not a single positive from this mess. Oh, and that was our marquee home game, and I think Rahe drew sub 2,000 fans to the game. Year 14 and we can't do anything. I would be happier if we let anyone else coach and finish out the year. I wish Rahe to be fired, and start the rebuild of a once dominate and proud program. Things can only get better with Rahe gone. If you select a good replacement, you can find immediate success (USU among others). Tal, I guess you and I can sit back and wait for January. But I promise, come January, we will be wanting football back. I would council the players to really seek out a transfer and save their eligibility for elsewhere.
Fan, Randy has 4 years left (thankfully including this season) and the buyout for his contract is around 1.6M. Weber State does not have that kind of cash available. So, Randy isn't going to get fired. Maybe he decides to leave early (retire or take another job); I doubt that happens. He will make, for sure, around 1.6 million over the next four years. Next issue, if Randy were to leave midway through a season we would get stuck with Duft. Personally I feel Randy is light years ahead of Duft (I believe he is a major reason behind our woes). Our best hope, he gets sick of the circus and decides to retire at 61. He is getting older and frankly has made a lot of money. He is set for the rest of his life and probably his children's lives. But, he isn't getting fired. Besides, I did say in my last comment that "if not, well, I didn't expect much from the get go, so..." about last nights game. I went to the Dee expecting to lose and we did.
PURPLEFOGDOG DID YOU GRAB MY A$$?!? Dew the DEW!
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/351026 ... arge-o.gif

Chex
Big Sky 2nd Team

Post by Chex » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:21 pm

So if the football team’s slogan is Purple Reign, should the basketball program’s be Purple Nuts from having them kicked in so far?

Maybe it should be, “Wildcats Basketball—We’ll Figure It Out,” or “Wildcats Basketball—It Will Get Better, It Has To.”

Thank heavens for football. If only Weber State had a sanctioned hockey team and the Dee could fit an ice rink in it as this season is going to be long and tough to watch.

webergrad02
Big Sky school I dislike most: Eastern Washington

Post by webergrad02 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Is there anyway Dame sees the predicament that the basketball program is in and funds the buyout? I know he is loyal to coach but he has a huge amount of loyalty towards the community as well. The gap between coach and the community is growing. Attendance has been trending down but last night was as bad as it has ever been. Randy looked like he had been through the ringer. But he is likely too stubborn to realize that stepping down is best for the program.

SWeberCat02
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by SWeberCat02 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:34 pm

webergrad02 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:49 pm
Is there anyway Dame sees the predicament that the basketball program is in and funds the buyout? I know he is loyal to coach but he has a huge amount of loyalty towards the community as well. The gap between coach and the community is growing. Attendance has been trending down but last night was as bad as it has ever been. Randy looked like he had been through the ringer. But he is likely too stubborn to realize that stepping down is best for the program.
Given everything the University has done for him, why can't Rahe just do the right thing and step down? Much like Gary Andersen did at Oregon St. Announce now that he's retiring at the end of the season and make the rest of the season his farewell tour, so to speak. He's doing nothing but killing the program by staying. A friend took me to the game last night and I was shocked at the lack of any energy or excitement in the building, not to mention the lack of fans. And that was for their best home opponent of the season. It was just very depressing to be honest.

Brick3’s
Newb
I am a fan of: Big Sky Conference
Big Sky school I dislike most: Southern Utah

Post by Brick3’s » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:20 am

How many games do we win next week in Florida? I know this is going to be a tough season, but believe that Rahe has the ability to turn this around. Looks like Montana is struggling, we got a good chance to win the conference if Harding gets hot!

webergrad02
Big Sky school I dislike most: Eastern Washington

Post by webergrad02 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:16 pm

We will be lucky if we win one game in Florida. Wright State is better than the USD team that laid the wood to us at home. If The had the ability to turn this around we would not have this mess of a roster. We sent Nero packing and have a whole slew of guards that only create for ourselves and down low we have a bunch of soft big men. Why would we care one bit how Montana looks when we have been an absolute train wreck?

Chex
Big Sky 2nd Team

Post by Chex » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:39 pm

webergrad02 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:16 pm
We will be lucky if we win one game in Florida. Wright State is better than the USD team that laid the wood to us at home. If The had the ability to turn this around we would not have this mess of a roster. We sent Nero packing and have a whole slew of guards that only create for ourselves and down low we have a bunch of soft big men. Why would we care one bit how Montana looks when we have been an absolute train wreck?
:+1:

This team won’t win many road games in conference, so I’m more worried about breaking .500 this year than what other teams do. If a bout of food poisoning breaks out in Boise and affects all teams but Weber State, I might allow myself to think there’s a chance.

Weber State is a football school now...and as long as that is still going, we don’t have to focus on this dumpster fire.

Brick3’s
Newb
I am a fan of: Big Sky Conference
Big Sky school I dislike most: Southern Utah

Post by Brick3’s » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:30 am

Why did we transition to this style of play? Are we emulating a NBA style offense? The last two years we’ve focused more on shooting the 3 pointer versus pounding it inside. I thought this year we were going back to Rahe’s traditional offense. Did that change?

AlumniWSU
2 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by AlumniWSU » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:11 am

Here's a prediction on this season's OOC, the Wildcats should go 3-8.
Get ready for 3 in-state spankings to Weber State starting with UVU, then U, & the Y.
Optimistically maybe 2 wins left - Westcliff & Bethesda.

Is that satisfying enough to the "settlers" for mediocre WSU basketball?

Never mind, the Big Sky action (the meaningful, "real season") is then at hand, where most everyone gets a participation trophy invite to the BSC tourney.

Just have to say for some of us fans, SAD & BAD! :ohno:
GO WILDCATS !

wsucatfan
Big Sky school I dislike most: Montana

Post by wsucatfan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:24 am

Embarrassing performance (or lack there of) by the Wildcats this season. You are absolutely correct, 3-8 is all but a certainty at this point, anything else will shock me. Why can't basketball and football be great at the same time? You would think they would feed off each other's success.
“If I had to describe myself, I would say I’m a silent assassin,” Lillard