Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

WSU Football talk & news.
The Dan
Big Sky 1st Team
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:56 pm
I am a fan of: Weber State
Big Sky school I dislike most: Southern Utah

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by The Dan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:18 am

SWeberCat02 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:40 pm
Regardless of what happens next week, Weber, EWU, and Davis are in. Does the winner of the brawl get in? I think so due to the parity across the nation this season.
I think yes, even if it’s Montana. The bubble looks very weak with talks of 6 win teams getting in. Plus I would think the NCAA would love to have a game at either of those venues.

The Dan
Big Sky 1st Team
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:56 pm
I am a fan of: Weber State
Big Sky school I dislike most: Southern Utah

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by The Dan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:25 am

ewuranger wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:56 am
PurpleBlood wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:06 pm
No way in hell they pass us. The committee knows rivalry games can be close. Both teams have two losses but we beat Eastern so there is no debate who the better team is. Plus one of their wins is against a D2 team and we would hold the conference auto qualifier.
There actually is a debate. We’re a much different team now than we were when you beat us starting a Sophomore Qb in only his second start. Frankly if the two teams played again today I’d give EWU a strong advantage.

There’s also margin of victory against common opponents. We’re beating the same teams by a much wider margin. That matters.
It’s a debate among EWU fans and no one else.

Eastern fans have had trouble getting over the loss in Ogden.

User avatar
SWeberCat02
8 Time Big Sky Champ
Posts: 3893
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:52 am
I am a fan of: Weber State

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by SWeberCat02 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:15 am

ewuranger wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:56 am
PurpleBlood wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:06 pm
No way in hell they pass us. The committee knows rivalry games can be close. Both teams have two losses but we beat Eastern so there is no debate who the better team is. Plus one of their wins is against a D2 team and we would hold the conference auto qualifier.
There actually is a debate. We’re a much different team now than we were when you beat us starting a Sophomore Qb in only his second start. Frankly if the two teams played again today I’d give EWU a strong advantage.

There’s also margin of victory against common opponents. We’re beating the same teams by a much wider margin. That matters.
Yeah keep giving Weber none of the credit for winning that game. I'll remind you that Barriere had 331 yards of total offense the game before, in his first start, and has averaged 362 yards since. And before you say the game would have been different with Gubrud, I'll remind you that a Weber defense that wasn't as good as this group held him to 241 yards of total offense in Cheney the year before, also a game the Eagles lost. Gubrud will remember that one. He was so distraught about it that he went and got wasted and arrested, all while trying to pull the "do you know who I am" card.
Last edited by SWeberCat02 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

WSUWildcat
Big Sky Champ
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:30 pm
I am a fan of: Weber State
Big Sky school I dislike most: Montana

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by WSUWildcat » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:16 am

The Dan wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:25 am
ewuranger wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:56 am
PurpleBlood wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:06 pm
No way in hell they pass us. The committee knows rivalry games can be close. Both teams have two losses but we beat Eastern so there is no debate who the better team is. Plus one of their wins is against a D2 team and we would hold the conference auto qualifier.
There actually is a debate. We’re a much different team now than we were when you beat us starting a Sophomore Qb in only his second start. Frankly if the two teams played again today I’d give EWU a strong advantage.

There’s also margin of victory against common opponents. We’re beating the same teams by a much wider margin. That matters.
It’s a debate among EWU fans and no one else.

Eastern fans have had trouble getting over the loss in Ogden.
They had a hard time getting over the loss on the red turf last year which cost them a playoff bid.

User avatar
SWWeatherCat
4 Time Big Sky Champ
Posts: 1648
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:54 pm
I am a fan of: Weber State
Location: In or around O-Town.

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by SWWeatherCat » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:14 am

WILDCAT wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:00 pm
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp? ... 178711404

Latest STATS projections has Weber as the #2 seed hosting the winner of Southeast Missouri vs Nicholls with a possible 3rd round game at home to James Madison.

First things first. BEAT IDAHO STATE!
Not looking ahead by any means-- it would be especially foolish with this team especially-- but the thought of a possibility of Weber hosting Jame Madison is exciting and makes me wonder. How does this year's team compare to last? I'd be interested in other's opinion. It seems JMU has regressed a step or two. Has Weber? And, if you think so, more or less than JMU?

My take is the defense has gradually gotten back almost to their level of play last season; the offense took 2/3 the season to get to a point where the defense and special teams don't have to carry the team; and the special teams have kinda roller-coastered but trended down overall. I would assess JMU having regressed two steps and Weber at least one full step. Although I'd still be worried Weber isn't at the same level as last season, I'd still like their chances at home vs JMU.
Big Sky school I dislike most: The next team on WEBER STATE's schedule.

WSUWildcat
Big Sky Champ
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:30 pm
I am a fan of: Weber State
Big Sky school I dislike most: Montana

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by WSUWildcat » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:59 am

SWWeatherCat wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:14 am
WILDCAT wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:00 pm
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp? ... 178711404

Latest STATS projections has Weber as the #2 seed hosting the winner of Southeast Missouri vs Nicholls with a possible 3rd round game at home to James Madison.

First things first. BEAT IDAHO STATE!
Not looking ahead by any means-- it would be especially foolish with this team especially-- but the thought of a possibility of Weber hosting Jame Madison is exciting and makes me wonder. How does this year's team compare to last? I'd be interested in other's opinion. It seems JMU has regressed a step or two. Has Weber? And, if you think so, more or less than JMU?

My take is the defense has gradually gotten back almost to their level of play last season; the offense took 2/3 the season to get to a point where the defense and special teams don't have to carry the team; and the special teams have kinda roller-coastered but trended down overall. I would assess JMU having regressed two steps and Weber at least one full step. Although I'd still be worried Weber isn't at the same level as last season, I'd still like their chances at home vs JMU.
I actually think our defense is better than last years defense. Run defense is more stout. Nobody has really exploited the secondary.

Offensively, we are down a few notches. Cantwell just did what needed to be done and seldom turned the ball over. Our TE's were very good last year. I do think our O-line is as good, maybe better this year than last. Running game is equal to last year as well.

Special teams has definitely regressed. Everything from kick coverage, to punting, to field goal team is not as sharp. Return game is about the same, except the new fair catch rule and the fact that nobody wants to kick it to Rasheed have hurt us a little.

Overall I felt we were more consistent and more confident last year with Cantwell running the show.

User avatar
SWeberCat02
8 Time Big Sky Champ
Posts: 3893
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:52 am
I am a fan of: Weber State

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by SWeberCat02 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:20 am

WSUWildcat wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:59 am
SWWeatherCat wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:14 am
WILDCAT wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:00 pm
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp? ... 178711404

Latest STATS projections has Weber as the #2 seed hosting the winner of Southeast Missouri vs Nicholls with a possible 3rd round game at home to James Madison.

First things first. BEAT IDAHO STATE!
Not looking ahead by any means-- it would be especially foolish with this team especially-- but the thought of a possibility of Weber hosting Jame Madison is exciting and makes me wonder. How does this year's team compare to last? I'd be interested in other's opinion. It seems JMU has regressed a step or two. Has Weber? And, if you think so, more or less than JMU?

My take is the defense has gradually gotten back almost to their level of play last season; the offense took 2/3 the season to get to a point where the defense and special teams don't have to carry the team; and the special teams have kinda roller-coastered but trended down overall. I would assess JMU having regressed two steps and Weber at least one full step. Although I'd still be worried Weber isn't at the same level as last season, I'd still like their chances at home vs JMU.
I actually think our defense is better than last years defense. Run defense is more stout. Nobody has really exploited the secondary.

Offensively, we are down a few notches. Cantwell just did what needed to be done and seldom turned the ball over. Our TE's were very good last year. I do think our O-line is as good, maybe better this year than last. Running game is equal to last year as well.

Special teams has definitely regressed. Everything from kick coverage, to punting, to field goal team is not as sharp. Return game is about the same, except the new fair catch rule and the fact that nobody wants to kick it to Rasheed have hurt us a little.

Overall I felt we were more consistent and more confident last year with Cantwell running the show.
I'd agree with all of this. Although I might say our running game is better this year, thanks to Josh Davis. Statistically they rushed for more yards per game last season (179.4) but 42.6 of that was from Cantwell. This season they average 146.6, with nothing coming from the QB position. I guess it depends on whether you want to include the QB running the ball as truly part of the running game.

Defensively they are allowing more points per game this year but less in total offense. I would attribute the difference in points allowed more to special teams play and the offense not being as good, than I would to the defense.

WSUWildcat
Big Sky Champ
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:30 pm
I am a fan of: Weber State
Big Sky school I dislike most: Montana

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by WSUWildcat » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:55 am

SWeberCat02 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:20 am
I'd agree with all of this. Although I might say our running game is better this year, thanks to Josh Davis. Statistically they rushed for more yards per game last season (179.4) but 42.6 of that was from Cantwell. This season they average 146.6, with nothing coming from the QB position. I guess it depends on whether you want to include the QB running the ball as truly part of the running game.

Defensively they are allowing more points per game this year but less in total offense. I would attribute the difference in points allowed more to special teams play and the offense not being as good, than I would to the defense.
In Cantwell's case, yes, I would include it. So many of his runs were designed runs on short yardage. And he runs like a damn fullback. In fact, short yardage runs are one of the weaknesses of our running game. I really think we miss having a QB power play in our arsenal.

Tube Socks
Dee Events Center Janitor
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:28 pm
I am a fan of: Weber State

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by Tube Socks » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:48 pm

ewuranger wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:56 am
PurpleBlood wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:06 pm
No way in hell they pass us. The committee knows rivalry games can be close. Both teams have two losses but we beat Eastern so there is no debate who the better team is. Plus one of their wins is against a D2 team and we would hold the conference auto qualifier.
There actually is a debate. We’re a much different team now than we were when you beat us starting a Sophomore Qb in only his second start. Frankly if the two teams played again today I’d give EWU a strong advantage.

There’s also margin of victory against common opponents. We’re beating the same teams by a much wider margin. That matters.
I believe the head to head victory trumps it all, and if the roles were reversed Eastern fans would say the same. EWU's sophomore QB was playing in his 2nd game this year, but had already been in the program a year and even started one game in 2017, a win vs North Dakota. WSU's transfer sophomore QB was playing in his 5th game, so no advantage there. I hope we get a rematch in the playoff, it would be one hell of a game.

User avatar
SWWeatherCat
4 Time Big Sky Champ
Posts: 1648
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:54 pm
I am a fan of: Weber State
Location: In or around O-Town.

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by SWWeatherCat » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:37 pm

WSUWildcat wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:55 am
SWeberCat02 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:20 am
I'd agree with all of this. Although I might say our running game is better this year, thanks to Josh Davis. Statistically they rushed for more yards per game last season (179.4) but 42.6 of that was from Cantwell. This season they average 146.6, with nothing coming from the QB position. I guess it depends on whether you want to include the QB running the ball as truly part of the running game.

Defensively they are allowing more points per game this year but less in total offense. I would attribute the difference in points allowed more to special teams play and the offense not being as good, than I would to the defense.
In Cantwell's case, yes, I would include it. So many of his runs were designed runs on short yardage. And he runs like a damn fullback. In fact, short yardage runs are one of the weaknesses of our running game. I really think we miss having a QB power play in our arsenal.
Can't understate how valuable Cantwell was to the offense, especially with the added run threat. I'm not a fan of trying to get too much out of the QB in the run game, certainly not to the extent of an option-type O; however, I like having the QB as a true threat in the run game. It causes full accountability for the defense and helps open up offensive flexibility. I guess it also opens up a higher risk for injury too (how is Jenks?) Constantine is making progress but I agree it would be nice to have the QB run threat in the minds of the defense.
Big Sky school I dislike most: The next team on WEBER STATE's schedule.

User avatar
talhadfoursteals
10 Time Big Sky Champ
Posts: 6199
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:34 am
Location: O-Town

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by talhadfoursteals » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:23 am

Like last week, Weber just needs to go up to Poky and take care of business. Win, the Cats earn a championship and with it a high seed.
PURPLEFOGDOG DID YOU GRAB MY A$$?!? Dew the DEW!
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/351026 ... arge-o.gif

WSUWildcat
Big Sky Champ
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:30 pm
I am a fan of: Weber State
Big Sky school I dislike most: Montana

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by WSUWildcat » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Is Weber a complete team? I still think we are a work in progress. Certainly the Offense has improved, but not sure I feel comfortable with where we are yet. Hoping for a big game tomorrow.

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-web ... yoffs-bzbz

WSUWildcat
Big Sky Champ
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:30 pm
I am a fan of: Weber State
Big Sky school I dislike most: Montana

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by WSUWildcat » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Interesting bracket predictions. All three brackets have Weber going to at least the semis.

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-her ... -2018-ajaj

User avatar
SWeberCat02
8 Time Big Sky Champ
Posts: 3893
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:52 am
I am a fan of: Weber State

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by SWeberCat02 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:59 pm

WSUWildcat wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:52 pm
Interesting bracket predictions. All three brackets have Weber going to at least the semis.

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-her ... -2018-ajaj
Really hoping for a 2 or 3 seed to avoid being on the NDSU side of the bracket.

User avatar
SWeberCat02
8 Time Big Sky Champ
Posts: 3893
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:52 am
I am a fan of: Weber State

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by SWeberCat02 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:22 am

As expected EWU beats PSU, 74-23. Yeah that's a football score, not hoops. Eagles seem determined to run up scores in order to pass Weber in the committee's eyes. But to me it makes the fact that Weber held them to 6 even more impressive. But it won't matter without a win today. Lots on the line in Pocky.

User avatar
SWeberCat02
8 Time Big Sky Champ
Posts: 3893
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:52 am
I am a fan of: Weber State

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by SWeberCat02 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:20 am

According to Eastern's fan forum, Eagles suffered some bad injuries last night.

The Dan
Big Sky 1st Team
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:56 pm
I am a fan of: Weber State
Big Sky school I dislike most: Southern Utah

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by The Dan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:15 pm

Grid up 22-0 on MSU. I would bet Montana gets a home playoff game with the winner going to Cheney. Possibly Ogden.

User avatar
SWWeatherCat
4 Time Big Sky Champ
Posts: 1648
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:54 pm
I am a fan of: Weber State
Location: In or around O-Town.

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by SWWeatherCat » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:48 pm

The Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:15 pm
Grid up 22-0 on MSU. I would bet Montana gets a home playoff game with the winner going to Cheney. Possibly Ogden.
Don't you hate when you post your thought too soon like I do? :lol: MSU 29 - UM 25
Big Sky school I dislike most: The next team on WEBER STATE's schedule.

User avatar
SWWeatherCat
4 Time Big Sky Champ
Posts: 1648
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:54 pm
I am a fan of: Weber State
Location: In or around O-Town.

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by SWWeatherCat » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:53 pm

Kennesaw ST in a 4th OT with Jacksonville ST, both having had to put up 2pt conversions. :o
Come on Jacksonville!
Big Sky school I dislike most: The next team on WEBER STATE's schedule.

User avatar
SWWeatherCat
4 Time Big Sky Champ
Posts: 1648
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:54 pm
I am a fan of: Weber State
Location: In or around O-Town.

Re: Big Sky Champion and Auto Bid

Post by SWWeatherCat » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:18 pm

SWWeatherCat wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:53 pm
Kennesaw ST in a 4th OT with Jacksonville ST, both having had to put up 2pt conversions. :o
Come on Jacksonville!
Kennesaw wins it in the 5th OT :thumbdown:
Big Sky school I dislike most: The next team on WEBER STATE's schedule.

Post Reply