Looking Ahead

WSU Basketball talk & news.
oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ
I am a fan of: Weber State
Big Sky school I dislike most: Idaho

Looking Ahead

Post by oldrunner » Tue May 21, 2019 7:20 pm

To win the BSC you need to have top level guards and at least one stud big man. To be in the top 4 you either need to have top level guards or two or more top level big men. Looking at the majority of top level guards from last year only 5 or 6 of them are returning this year and we have three of them. SUU has the best big men in the conference and that isn't even close. UM lost 2 of their top level guards but return Pridgett. They have also brought in some grad transfers to fill most of their voids. Are they at the same level as last year? Probably not but they are close. They will contend. UNCO lost one of the best guards in the league, but return most everybody else. They will contend. If SUU can get any guard play at all, they will contend. We will be contenders if our big men can step up at all. I expect us to be there at the end.
The big question marks in the league are the two new coaches. They are both attempting a big rebuilding project and have had to scramble for players. We may well see how well they coach under adversity.

IMHO, UM still must be considered the front runner. After that, any of the contenders could step up and do well. I didn't mention EWU, but they will be just as good as last year, maybe a little better. The rest of the teams will scramble to make middle of the pack. We know their players and we know their coaches. Not a lot of change there.
Things are good, but they are sure to get better! :nod:

talhadfoursteals
10 Time Big Sky Champ

Re: Looking Ahead

Post by talhadfoursteals » Wed May 22, 2019 8:23 am

What is exciting about the Big Sky is that it is becoming more competitive and that there is more parity from top to bottom among the teams in the league. A decade ago, it was really only Weber and Montana that were competing for the top spot. Maybe another team would show up, but the rest were just bad. Next season, there are a number of legitimate contenders and regrettably, it is hard seeing Weber ending at the top next season. Weber does have potential, but we seem to constantly talk about "Wildcat potential" only to discover, at the end of the season, that that potential didn't quite live up to its hype.

For Weber to compete, our bigs have to take some huge development steps this Summer. Weber's Front Court is composed of two sophomores who played sparingly last year, a red shirt freshman who coach has said is the X-Factor, but hasn't seen the court yet. A senior walkon big, and finally, a kid recovering from an ACL injury who hasn't played significant minutes in two years. Needless to say, we all should be a bit worried. We are very young and inexperienced in the middle of the floor. I'm hoping to be shocked.

As for the backcourt, realistically it might be the best in the Sky. We have three legitimate guards and potentially (there's that word again) two or three reserves who can really play the game of basketball. All of them could end up with end of season accolades (they wont, but...). Yeah, we are stacked. Harding is a legitimate first stringer and MVP candidate, John could end the season on the 1st team, Barns/Nero are both very good basketball players who had good freshmen campaigns, and finally, I'm guessing one or possibly, two of the newbs will contribute (I'm hoping Randy redshirts two of the three). But, like Olds said, the conference, that once was guard heavy, now has some good bigs and the champion will have a very good big playing for them.

SUU -- Yes, I feel these guys are the team to beat.
UM -- Have some nice returning pieces, but losing their best defenders and bigs
Weber -- Uh, big?
Eastern -- Good stretch bigs and decent guard play...definite darkhorse
UNCO -- End up the best defensive team, if they can find enough scoring, might lead to a championship
PSU -- They have the pieces...
MSU -- Frey is good, but they need something other than him. Team will be tougher on the boards and floor.
SAC -- Never really know. I like Katz and feel he gets the best from the talent available
Idaho -- Lots of JCs and transfers. Never know how that will turn out.
ISU -- First year of the rebuild. I think they will be dog-house tough
NAU -- Last year of Murphy's contract. If they win 10, I'll be shocked. Still need 4 more guys and we are almost in June.
PURPLEFOGDOG DID YOU GRAB MY A$$?!? Dew the DEW!
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/351026 ... arge-o.gif

sacstateman
Big Sky 1st Team
I am a fan of: Sacramento State
Big Sky school I dislike most: UC Davis

Post by sacstateman » Wed May 22, 2019 4:45 pm

Geez Olds...who are the big men from SUU that are so good they didn't even make honorable mention in the BSC last year? I see Mason Peatling, Bernie Andre and Joshua Patton all made an All BSC team but no one from Suu.....Just wondering who you are referring to as the "best big men in the conference and that isn't even close".....I think Andre Adams is one of the better big men but not to the extent that you imply....

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Wed May 22, 2019 11:37 pm

sacstateman wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:45 pm
Geez Olds...who are the big men from SUU that are so good they didn't even make honorable mention in the BSC last year? I see Mason Peatling, Bernie Andre and Joshua Patton all made an All BSC team but no one from Suu.....Just wondering who you are referring to as the "best big men in the conference and that isn't even close".....I think Andre Adams is one of the better big men but not to the extent that you imply....
Dwayn Morgan got some eligibility back on his appeal to the NCAA, Adams is very good, Medunic is a good back up, and Calloway is as well. IMHO, Sac's guys are on the same level as SUU's back ups.
https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sport ... 695200002/

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Fri May 24, 2019 5:46 pm

MSU has signed a couple of good Euro. big men and ISU has brought in a lot of transfer guards who may be able to help. It's going to be really interesting to see how those two programs develop with new energy.

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Mon May 27, 2019 12:01 pm

talhadfoursteals wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:23 am

SUU -- Yes, I feel these guys are the team to beat.
UM -- Have some nice returning pieces, but losing their best defenders and bigs
Weber -- Uh, big?
I think you have hit on the top three. Also, the more I look at SUU's roster, I agree that they have all the players needed to win it all. So does UM and so do we. At this point, SUU's big men are more proven, our guards are more proven, and UM is still the defending champs. I think it is going to be a dog fight to the end. It may all hinge on one or two road wins. For us it is all coming down to the development of our big men and the health of our JC transfer, Diakite. For UM it comes down to how fast all of their transfers can come together as a team. For SUU it comes down to their PG play. They have the shooting guards to get the job done and potentially dominating big men. Everyone else will need to get a bit lucky to end up in the top 3 or 4. :coffee:

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Tue May 28, 2019 10:54 am

Harding is returning for his senior year.

This is not a huge surprise, but welcome news for us Weber fans. He will be a strong candidate for BSC MVP.

UtahPirate
Big Sky 1st Team
Big Sky school I dislike most: Montana

Post by UtahPirate » Tue May 28, 2019 12:40 pm

oldrunner wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:54 am

This is not a huge surprise, but welcome news for us Weber fans. He will be a strong candidate for BSC MVP.
I'd be curious to know what his advisors told him about his draft potential.

I think he needs to gain strength and really lengthen his 3-pt distance (and increase his percentages). There seems to be plenty to work on, and even then going as a second round pick seems a real long shot. I love to watch him though and his leadership and scoring ability will be critical this year.

talhadfoursteals
10 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by talhadfoursteals » Tue May 28, 2019 2:30 pm

UtahPirate wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:40 pm
oldrunner wrote:

I think he needs to gain strength and really lengthen his 3-pt distance (and increase his percentages). There seems to be plenty to work on, and even then going as a second round pick seems a real long shot. I love to watch him though and his leadership and scoring ability will be critical this year.
Agreed.

Hardings best chance of being drafted is as a PG. At Weber, he has never really been a true PG and frankly, he isn't great at QBing on the floor. Love the kid and I'm glad he is coming back, but he has a lot of room to improve. If he can make huge strides in three areas (my opinions cause we know how little I know :rofl: ), he will have a chance of being drafted next June.

A. Ball-handling and passing: Yes, PGs tend to have a high number of TOs anyway, but Hardings tend to occur because of sloppy ball control. Errant passes are one thing, but having the ball picked away by a defender is another. Efficiency with the ball is crucial and necessary. He drastically needs to improve in this area.

B. Defense: Far too often Harding either took possessions off, lost his man, or play lackadaisical defense. He has the speed, body, and skill to be an excellent defender. Now, he just has to decide to do it when he is on the floor. Is it a matter of conditioning? Who knows...he exerts so much energy on the offensive side of the court, maybe he doesn't have enough in the tank on defense. He does grab his fair share of steals, but can definitely improve in this area. Imagine if he became a lock down defender with his speed?

C. Making his teammates better. This is purely leadership and understanding teammates strengths and skills. Lillard was exceptional in this area. He was such a huge personality on and off the floor for the Cats and definitely made those around him better. Harding has a similar personality and drive now he just needs to become more of a force on the court making his team into a stronger unit. Last year too much iso and selfish play (I don't think that was by design). This year passing and off-ball movement is huge for the Cats. Harding needs to lead and get his teammates looks. He has the skill and finesse to get guys open. IN other words, instead of taking a hard shot, making the extra pass getting a better shot through his skills.
PURPLEFOGDOG DID YOU GRAB MY A$$?!? Dew the DEW!
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/351026 ... arge-o.gif

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Tue May 28, 2019 7:43 pm

talhadfoursteals wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:30 pm
UtahPirate wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:40 pm
oldrunner wrote:

Agreed.

Hardings best chance of being drafted is as a PG. At Weber, he has never really been a true PG and frankly, he isn't great at QBing on the floor. Love the kid and I'm glad he is coming back, but he has a lot of room to improve. If he can make huge strides in three areas (my opinions cause we know how little I know :rofl: ), he will have a chance of being drafted next June.

A. Ball-handling and passing: Yes, PGs tend to have a high number of TOs anyway, but Hardings tend to occur because of sloppy ball control. Errant passes are one thing, but having the ball picked away by a defender is another. Efficiency with the ball is crucial and necessary. He drastically needs to improve in this area.

B. Defense: Far too often Harding either took possessions off, lost his man, or play lackadaisical defense. He has the speed, body, and skill to be an excellent defender. Now, he just has to decide to do it when he is on the floor. Is it a matter of conditioning? Who knows...he exerts so much energy on the offensive side of the court, maybe he doesn't have enough in the tank on defense. He does grab his fair share of steals, but can definitely improve in this area. Imagine if he became a lock down defender with his speed?

C. Making his teammates better. This is purely leadership and understanding teammates strengths and skills. Lillard was exceptional in this area. He was such a huge personality on and off the floor for the Cats and definitely made those around him better. Harding has a similar personality and drive now he just needs to become more of a force on the court making his team into a stronger unit. Last year too much iso and selfish play (I don't think that was by design). This year passing and off-ball movement is huge for the Cats. Harding needs to lead and get his teammates looks. He has the skill and finesse to get guys open. IN other words, instead of taking a hard shot, making the extra pass getting a better shot through his skills.
Jerrick said pretty much the same things.

https://www.standard.net/sports/weber-s ... 96dea.html

UtahPirate
Big Sky 1st Team

Post by UtahPirate » Wed May 29, 2019 10:13 am

Good article, thanks for sharing.

Obviously playing with the kind of competition Harding saw gave him some indication of what needs to be done. He says all the right things. Now we need to see those things happen.

Tal, your ABC's were spot on!

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:34 pm

One thing is quite clear to me. Whatever kind of a season we have next fall is being set up right now.

I understand that all of our guys are on campus for the summer session and that most will be staying the entire summer to work on their conditioning and skills. The biggest improvements come in the off season and we will need some of our younger players to step up and play big.

I believe that it is going to happen and that our coaches are adding offensive and defensive sets to match our new set of players. Last season was disappointing, to say the least, but I'm confident that it was just a speed bump in the progress of our program. I expect big improvements. :coffee:

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:08 pm

Right now, most of the teams are set. The exception is UM. They still have a couple of openings to fill and are diving into a depleted transfer pool looking for upgrades. They had a couple of really good transfers decommit. Looking at what they have and the pool of potentials, I have to downgrade their potential for being a top team a little bit. Also, Sac has done a good job of filling holes and deserves to move up. I'm totally with Tal on picking SUU as the team to beat. Key injuries could change that, as SUU is thin at PG. However, they are deep in big men.

SUU
WSU
Sac
PSU
UM
ISU
MSU
EWU
UNC
UI :fuel:
NAU :fuel:

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:46 pm

oldrunner wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:08 pm
Right now, most of the teams are set. The exception is UM. They still have a couple of openings to fill and are diving into a depleted transfer pool looking for upgrades. They had a couple of really good transfers decommit. Looking at what they have and the pool of potentials, I have to downgrade their potential for being a top team a little bit. Also, Sac has done a good job of filling holes and deserves to move up. I'm totally with Tal on picking SUU as the team to beat. Key injuries could change that, as SUU is thin at PG. However, they are deep in big men.

SUU
WSU
Sac
PSU
UM
ISU
MSU
EWU
UNC
UI :fuel:
NAU :fuel:
Since that writing UM has added another talented wing player. They still have questions at PG, but Naseem Gaskin, if eligible, can play. If he is ruled eligible to play, I would move them up to the third spot on that list. If he has to red shirt, I would leave them where I put them in July. :coffee:

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:32 am

wazzuwildcat03
Big Sky 1st Team

Post by wazzuwildcat03 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:52 pm

That is a terrible preview. It's cool he picked us first, but Montana is at the very least top 3. I would put them 2 and SUU 1. Saeed Pritchit is the best player in the conference and he didn't even put him on his pre-season all conference pics. :wtf:

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:16 pm

wazzuwildcat03 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:52 pm
That is a terrible preview. It's cool he picked us first, but Montana is at the very least top 3. I would put them 2 and SUU 1. Saeed Pritchit is the best player in the conference and he didn't even put him on his pre-season all conference pics. :wtf:
I agree with you, with one caveat. If their transfer from Utah doesn't get a waiver it will make it too easy for teams to guard one good player. Just look at what happened to MSU with Hall, or us with Damian. It's a team sport. With that said, I still think UM has a very good coach and that should be factored in as well.

SUU is still my pick as the team to beat.

UtahPirate
Big Sky 1st Team

Post by UtahPirate » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:10 am

I was very surprised to see us at the top of the picks. I know we will have a good back court and I'm expecting big things from Harding, but our front court is so young and untested. And after the really sporadic play from a seasoned front court last year, I'm having a hard time thinking Kozak, Kupsas and Zdor will lead us to glory (I do love Zdor although I didn''t think we got him enough court time last year).

Anybody seen any pickup games? Been to any practices? Is Diakite eligible this year? Is he practicing? How does he look? Big gamble by Rahe with him.

Love to get some impressions and inside scoop.

With the NBA (not much of a fan) trying to wipe dog doo off their collective Chinese-made shoes, even my ever-so-tiny Jazz fanship has taken a hit. I am so ready for Weber State basketball.

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:43 am

I have attended a handful of practices and pick up games. Diakite has recovered from his ACL surgery, but required an additional scope to clean out some scar tissue. He will be full speed by November's games. Zdor, Kozak, Fuller, and Kupsas all look improved and a lot more confident. Zdor put on about 15 pounds of muscle over the summer and fuller got his legs back and has added 6'' to his vertical leap. I don't see where there will be any drop off from the previous front court. If anything, we will be a bit deeper at those positions. Our guards will be as good as advertised. I'm not saying that we are the top team, but we will certainly be in contention for the top.

UtahPirate
Big Sky 1st Team

Post by UtahPirate » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:39 pm

oldrunner wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:43 am
I have attended a handful of practices and pick up games. Diakite has recovered from his ACL surgery, but required an additional scope to clean out some scar tissue. He will be full speed by November's games. Zdor, Kozak, Fuller, and Kupsas all look improved and a lot more confident. Zdor put on about 15 pounds of muscle over the summer and fuller got his legs back and has added 6'' to his vertical leap. I don't see where there will be any drop off from the previous front court. If anything, we will be a bit deeper at those positions. Our guards will be as good as advertised. I'm not saying that we are the top team, but we will certainly be in contention for the top.
Thanks Olds. Nice to hear about Fuller. Our previous RMs didn't seem to want to give mission recovery the time it deserves to really get back in athletic shape. I hadn't thought about him as part of the mix. I think front court success rides on Kozak and his ability to hit 3's with consistency. And I hope to heck we can rebound and block off this year.

Any idea what type of player Diakite is? Slasher? Quick on the post? Where will he fit?

I'm anxious to see Zdor progress. He needed the weight, but honestly, he completely surprised me with his coordination and athleticism at his size as a freshman. I think he is loaded with talent the way Bolomboy was. Not sure he'll become the great rebounder Joel was, but I think he'll have more offensive success early in his career.

I always look forward to Weber basketball and I'm glad the board is warming up a bit!