Looking Ahead

WSU Basketball talk & news.
talhadfoursteals
10 Time Big Sky Champ

Re: Looking Ahead

Post by talhadfoursteals » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:27 am

Personally, I feel that SUU is the team to beat this year and after the birds, Montana. Until we figure out how to rebound the ball and play in the post, Weber will not win a championship. We have the pieces to compete for a championship and to go dancing, but a number of those pieces are untested or unproven. Just have to wait and see. Last year was a definite gut check.
PURPLEFOGDOG DID YOU GRAB MY A$$?!? Dew the DEW!
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/351026 ... arge-o.gif

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ
I am a fan of: Weber State
Big Sky school I dislike most: Idaho

Post by oldrunner » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:22 pm

UtahPirate wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:39 pm
oldrunner wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:43 am
I have attended a handful of practices and pick up games. Diakite has recovered from his ACL surgery, but required an additional scope to clean out some scar tissue. He will be full speed by November's games. Zdor, Kozak, Fuller, and Kupsas all look improved and a lot more confident. Zdor put on about 15 pounds of muscle over the summer and fuller got his legs back and has added 6'' to his vertical leap. I don't see where there will be any drop off from the previous front court. If anything, we will be a bit deeper at those positions. Our guards will be as good as advertised. I'm not saying that we are the top team, but we will certainly be in contention for the top.
Thanks Olds. Nice to hear about Fuller. Our previous RMs didn't seem to want to give mission recovery the time it deserves to really get back in athletic shape. I hadn't thought about him as part of the mix. I think front court success rides on Kozak and his ability to hit 3's with consistency. And I hope to heck we can rebound and block off this year.

Any idea what type of player Diakite is? Slasher? Quick on the post? Where will he fit?

I'm anxious to see Zdor progress. He needed the weight, but honestly, he completely surprised me with his coordination and athleticism at his size as a freshman. I think he is loaded with talent the way Bolomboy was. Not sure he'll become the great rebounder Joel was, but I think he'll have more offensive success early in his career.

I always look forward to Weber basketball and I'm glad the board is warming up a bit!
Bouki is an above average athlete who can do a bit of everything. He passes well, shoots it well, and can take it to the basket. From 3s, he may be one of our top shooters. I haven't seen enough of him to know if he can defend or not. Although, I'm sure he will block a few shots, with his leaping ability. With his knee issues, he is just now getting back into playing on a regular basis. He hasn't played much in the last two years. He has a high ceiling, but it may take a bit longer for him to get there. If and when he does, he will be a top player in the BSC. IMHO. :coffee:
Things are good, but they are sure to get better! :nod:

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:43 pm

UI lost an exhibition game to Central Washington last night. 88 - 81.

They trailed from beginning to end. :rofl:

:lame:

webergrad02
Big Sky school I dislike most: Eastern Washington

Post by webergrad02 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:05 pm

oldrunner wrote:
I have attended a handful of practices and pick up games. Diakite has recovered from his ACL surgery, but required an additional scope to clean out some scar tissue. He will be full speed by November's games. Zdor, Kozak, Fuller, and Kupsas all look improved and a lot more confident. Zdor put on about 15 pounds of muscle over the summer and fuller got his legs back and has added 6'' to his vertical leap. I don't see where there will be any drop off from the previous front court. If anything, we will be a bit deeper at those positions. Our guards will be as good as advertised. I'm not saying that we are the top team, but we will certainly be in contention for the top.
Once again you have completely drunk the Kool aid. We looked like one of the worst teams in D1 tonight. Harding will not be able to fix the rebounding and lack of effort. Our shooting may improve a little with Herrick but we are not a good team.

Brick3’s
Newb
I am a fan of: Big Sky Conference
Big Sky school I dislike most: Southern Utah

Post by Brick3’s » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:27 pm

It’s a long season, but I think at the end of the season it’ll be obvious that Weber State needs a change of leadership in its basketball program.

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:00 pm

webergrad02 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:05 pm
oldrunner wrote:
Once again you have completely drunk the Kool aid. We looked like one of the worst teams in D1 tonight. Harding will not be able to fix the rebounding and lack of effort. Our shooting may improve a little with Herrick but we are not a good team.
Yes, I am still drinking that Kool Aid. I sure didn't see this game coming. It's one game, one horrible game, but just one. One game doesn't make a season. I don't lose hope after one poor performance. I'm still hopeful for a turnaround. We need to get some of our injured guys back and straiten some things out, but this is not the end of the world. The sky isn't falling. Let's see how we are doing in late December.

WSUfan
2 Time Big Sky Champ
Big Sky school I dislike most: Montana

Post by WSUfan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:25 am

oldrunner wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:00 pm
webergrad02 wrote:
oldrunner wrote:
Yes, I am still drinking that Kool Aid. I sure didn't see this game coming. It's one game, one horrible game, but just one. One game doesn't make a season. I don't lose hope after one poor performance. I'm still hopeful for a turnaround. We need to get some of our injured guys back and straiten some things out, but this is not the end of the world. The sky isn't falling. Let's see how we are doing in late December.
This is a trash statement Olds. Why do we have to wait to see how things are come December?? The season started yesterday, not in December or January. I will not attend another game, and I encourage everyone to do the same. By going to the games, we are paying for Rahe to be here. We have been waiting for 14 years for Rahe to figure things out, and he still doesnt have a clue. He talked last night about liking the effort?!!? What game was Rahe watching? I have never seen a team give up so many back door cuts. One game yes, but this game was a condensded game of Rahe as a coach. I never saw him use any sort of good timeouts or a change in defense. I am so sick of Rahe taking these OOC games as nothing more than practice. These games should be the highlight of the schedule. Man, you wont catch me at any home games this year. I rather donate my time and money to anything but Rahe.
#JUSTWEBER

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:44 pm

WSUfan wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:25 am
oldrunner wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:00 pm
webergrad02 wrote:
oldrunner wrote:
This is a trash statement Olds. Why do we have to wait to see how things are come December?? The season started yesterday, not in December or January. I will not attend another game, and I encourage everyone to do the same. By going to the games, we are paying for Rahe to be here. We have been waiting for 14 years for Rahe to figure things out, and he still doesnt have a clue. He talked last night about liking the effort?!!? What game was Rahe watching? I have never seen a team give up so many back door cuts. One game yes, but this game was a condensded game of Rahe as a coach. I never saw him use any sort of good timeouts or a change in defense. I am so sick of Rahe taking these OOC games as nothing more than practice. These games should be the highlight of the schedule. Man, you wont catch me at any home games this year. I rather donate my time and money to anything but Rahe.
You can boycott if you want. However, IMHO, you give up anybody else taking you seriously on this forum. You shouldn't comment on things that you have not seen or participated in. I realize that your hate runs deep and your rage is hard for you to control, but this is not healthy for you. I'm disappointed when we don't play well and I have taken some ribbing from my USU fan friends. It's all in fun and that is how I look at it. Life is too short to get mired in rage and hate. :coffee:

SWWeatherCat
4 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by SWWeatherCat » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:28 pm

Who cares about being taken seriously on a fan forum? His question is and has been completely valid during much of Rahe's tenure: "Why do we have to wait to see how things are come December?? The season started yesterday, not in December or January."

I quit season tix a few years ago after more than 2 decades of getting them. I also have little interest in going and watching them scrimmage against glorified high school squads. Say what you want but this once exciting program with a rich history has been turned into something I dont recognize and have little interest in anymore. It's become increasingly "obvious that Weber State needs a change of leadership in its basketball program."
Big Sky school I dislike most: The next team on WEBER STATE's schedule.

SWWeatherCat
4 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by SWWeatherCat » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:42 pm

Headline: "Oluyitan lifts Southern Utah over Nebraska 79-78 in 2OT"

I wonder if SUU is worried they peaked too soon? I mean it's only November, should they be ready to be competitive before January? :stir: :lol:

webergrad02

Post by webergrad02 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:49 pm

I flip a coin before I read the "insider info" from Olds. Half of the time he isn't close on his predictions. That comment about people not taking you serious if you boycott the program is absolute horse crap. My donations and sponsorship has ceased. But I still love the university. They need to know that the fan base is not happy with the direction of the program. Signing Randy to an 8 year extension when over half of his salary comes from private donations was horrible and not responsible. Bovee walked away from the program after digging us into that huge hole. Sponsors are walking away from the program. Pretty soon you and Brett Hein will be the only two people left in the arena Olds.

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:33 pm

So, let me see if I've got this right. We have a handful of former fans, who don't buy tickets, who refuse to come to the games, who have quit contributing anything to WSU, and are mad as hell that WSU won't take their advise and fire a coach. These are the experts who everyone, including the WSU athletic dept., should take note of and act in accordance. That's some realistic thinking. :wall:

UtahPirate
Big Sky 1st Team

Post by UtahPirate » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:48 am

I really enjoy this forum, so have at it folks.

Me? I'm going to take a deep breath and see how we look with my own eyes on Thursday.

We have a couple of pieces that are missing, and there are a couple of guys I think will develop as the season progresses (I really like Zdor). But we'll see if in the end that's enough.

SWWeatherCat
4 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by SWWeatherCat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:32 pm

oldrunner wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:33 pm
So, let me see if I've got this right. We have a handful of former fans, who don't buy tickets, who refuse to come to the games, who have quit contributing anything to WSU, and are mad as hell that WSU won't take their advise and fire a coach. These are the experts who everyone, including the WSU athletic dept., should take note of and act in accordance. That's some realistic thinking. :wall:
Well, for me-- not former fan-- former season tix holder. I'm still very much a fan and supporter of the university, athletics, and athletes in general. I'm in no way a fan of where Rahe has taken this program, nor will I pay to see the crap competition now year-in and year-out at the DEC. In no way do I expect or pretend to think that WSU will take employment advice from anyone, least of all anyone squawking on a fan forum. I am, however, a little surprised at the level of support and confidence they seem to have in Rahe when seeing how unattractive their product has gotten to their customer.

Care to try and make me understand why I should be excited and grabbing for my wallet when I don't believe the coach cares about being competitive until January? When I don't believe the coach cares about scheduling home teams that are competitive or spark any kind of interest? When the coach seems indifferent to in-state and OOC games, at least doesn't show any expression or passion otherwise? When I think the coach has failed to capitalize on having a player like Lillard, especially when considering the facilities and other attractive features of WSU? Is that what you really consider realistic thinking?

I've seen a lot of bad WSU-BB games but I can't recall ever seeing a performance like that last one in Logan. Has Weber ever been beaten that badly by an in-state team? It was absolutely dismal and did Rahe care? Did he say anything different than he ever does about one of the worst @ss-kickings in the program's history? Did he take any responsibility for not having his team constructed, prepared, or coached better to be more competitive? Did he say anything to make fans/customers believe they will make the corrections necessary to ensure an embarrassment like that doesn't happen again?

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:06 pm

SW; I do respect your opinion and I feel your concern for where the program is now. I have seen ALL of the ups and downs over the past 50+ years, I have seen times much lower than now, I have seen and known almost every single coach at WSU, and I have seen some really bad games played by our Wildcats. During Ron A's tenure, I remember a similar beat down and our team was able to use that experience to get better and have a really good season. Whether this team can do the same remains to be seen, but I have not given up on them after their first game. I don't like the schedules we have had recently either. I think that is a real problem that can be addressed with our new AD and President. We have a lot of room for improvement in many areas around WSU athletics. I put my 2 cents in when I can, but as far as coaching personnel goes, I would never call for somebody's head unless there was something unethical happening, and that I have never seen.

wsucatfan

Post by wsucatfan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:54 pm

IMO and my rant... The entire team should be embarrassed of their "performance" or lack there of, yes Harding was out but so was USU's best player, not an excuse. I am not shocked anymore, fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you. As I have mentioned before all the other public universities (UofU, USU, UVU, SUU, and DSU soon) improved their conference affiliation while WSU has stood pat and then we fans (rightly) piss and moan when we win less and less against our state universities. Plenty of folks give UNDfan grief over his outlandish conference changes but honestly I wish we did something to improve ours. Which could help bridge the gap between Weber and the "top" schools in our state, as well as separate us from the "lower" schools that have caught up to us.
“If I had to describe myself, I would say I’m a silent assassin,” Lillard

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:07 pm

wsucatfan wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:54 pm
IMO and my rant... The entire team should be embarrassed of their "performance" or lack there of, yes Harding was out but so was USU's best player, not an excuse. I am not shocked anymore, fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you. As I have mentioned before all the other public universities (UofU, USU, UVU, SUU, and DSU soon) improved their conference affiliation while WSU has stood pat and then we fans (rightly) piss and moan when we win less and less against our state universities. Plenty of folks give UNDfan grief over his outlandish conference changes but honestly I wish we did something to improve ours. Which could help bridge the gap between Weber and the "top" schools in our state, as well as separate us from the "lower" schools that have caught up to us.
Good rant. I would love to see us in a position for an upgrade. We need to start by averaging over 10,000 at FB games and 8,000 at BB games. That plus about a 20% increase in donations will get us to where it can be a serious discussion. We have a large enough community and student body to get this done. In my mind, it is just going to take more effective marketing and concerted, consistent effort. It isn't an easy task, but with the right people it can happen. :coffee:

webergrad02

Post by webergrad02 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:48 pm

Olds I don't remember a team quitting 10 minutes in during the Coach A era.
But heres your fact check Olds. Coach As worst losses.
December 23 1992 @ Minnesota 52 - 92
December 4 1993 @ Purdue 64 - 85
December 30 1994 Purdue 73 - 108
December 6 1995 Utah 60 - 89
December 14 1996 @ Utah 48 - 83
December 4 1997 @ Boise State 60 - 83
December 6 1997 Iowa 56 - 81
January 4 1999 @ PSU 59 - 82
February 4 1999 @ Montana 53 - 87

Nothing that even resembles 34 - 89. Sorry. This team will be lucky to win 10 games.

oldrunner
9 Time Big Sky Champ

Post by oldrunner » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:58 pm

webergrad02 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:48 pm
Olds I don't remember a team quitting 10 minutes in during the Coach A era.
But heres your fact check Olds. Coach As worst losses.
December 23 1992 @ Minnesota 52 - 92
December 4 1993 @ Purdue 64 - 85
December 30 1994 Purdue 73 - 108
December 6 1995 Utah 60 - 89
December 14 1996 @ Utah 48 - 83
December 4 1997 @ Boise State 60 - 83
December 6 1997 Iowa 56 - 81
January 4 1999 @ PSU 59 - 82
February 4 1999 @ Montana 53 - 87

Nothing that even resembles 34 - 89. Sorry. This team will be lucky to win 10 games.
I was thinking that it was the UU game. Thanks for finding it for me. I remember similar grumblings at that time. So called fans were calling for his head. The team buckled down and had a good year as I recall. :clap:

Chex
Big Sky 2nd Team

Post by Chex » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:36 pm

oldrunner wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:06 pm
SW; I do respect your opinion and I feel your concern for where the program is now. I have seen ALL of the ups and downs over the past 50+ years, I have seen times much lower than now, I have seen and known almost every single coach at WSU, and I have seen some really bad games played by our Wildcats. During Ron A's tenure, I remember a similar beat down and our team was able to use that experience to get better and have a really good season. Whether this team can do the same remains to be seen, but I have not given up on them after their first game. I don't like the schedules we have had recently either. I think that is a real problem that can be addressed with our new AD and President. We have a lot of room for improvement in many areas around WSU athletics. I put my 2 cents in when I can, but as far as coaching personnel goes, I would never call for somebody's head unless there was something unethical happening, and that I have never seen.
Honestly, that is great you would never call for someone’s head. I don’t like people losing their job either, but that is the nature of business. I don’t think I could expect to keep my job if I never got results, or worse was a drain on the company. I would love to work a gig like that, and i’d even show some emotion or fire every now and then, too.

I have only called for Rahe and Schramm to be fired...well, Sears, too. With your philosophy on coaches, Sears would still be coaching at Weber State, nice guy and all, but what a scary thought. With Schramm my frustration boiled over to losing to Maine. It was probably one of the worst offensive called games ever and was paramount to head butting a brick wall and hoping to break through. Follow that up with two FBS near upsets where no offense could be mustered and an entire half of basically taking a knee vs Northern Iowa and that is when I called for it. He has improved play calling and showing some improvement, but I still think it could be upgraded.

As for Rahe, it just seems he is riding it out. As for all the reasons so articulately pointed out...why should anyone want to pay money to see that?

It’s just guards chucking up threes with no rebounding, no defense, or role players. When a recruited guard can’t get 38 minutes of playing time, they transfer out. When UVU stomped Weber State at the Dee and sat there doing nothing while their players trash talked them...that’s about when I knew a change was needed. When Rahe says he liked the energy of a 50 point drubbing...something is wrong. The apathy of non-conference games and in state games is terrible. Now that every team makes the conference tournament that is on a neutral site, Rahe is almost giving up on those games.

Weber State has too good of facilities and tradition to put up with that.