The headsman cometh

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
Post Reply
User avatar
Green Cookie Monster
Posts: 2077
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:08 am
Location: 867-5309

The headsman cometh

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:53 pm

http://www.times-standard.com/article/N ... /170909863

Who is next?
If Sac keeps losing and averaging 5,000 a game, it will bring the subject up again.

I say SJSU is in a world of hurt going forward.
Image

User avatar
Green Cookie Monster
Posts: 2077
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:08 am
Location: 867-5309

Re: The headsman cometh

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:24 pm

Solid performance tonight. Good job Hornets!
Kudos to the players and coaches.
4th Qtr. was a bust, old Hornets showed up.
Image

User avatar
Phantom Hornet
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:29 pm

Re: The headsman cometh

Post by Phantom Hornet » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:50 pm

They were up 56-8 in the 4th and gave up a couple TDs, lolololol. Not sure I can be critical of that.

I know it was Incarnate Word, but overall was impressed with the team speed and athleticism. The defense looks much improved (especially the secondary) and they have some playmakers on offense. Might not be a total loss this season.

josephpoint
Posts: 946
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:03 pm

Re: The headsman cometh

Post by josephpoint » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:19 pm

Will take 56 points on the scoreboard at Hornet Stadium for the green and gold any day. Think a score like that or higher than that happened against Cal State Northridge but could be wrong. And Cal State Northridge like so many CSU football programs are long gone. Sorry to se that Humboldt State might be looking at dropping football. Always impressed by HSU for keeping their program when so many others dropped like Chico State , Sonoma State, Hayward State, San Francisco State, Cal Poly Pomona 20 years ago when they remained and still remain Div II and others like Long Beach State and Cal State Fullerton dropped football but are Div I schools .

Hope things work out for HSU as the last CSU Div II school that has a football program.

And very proud of Sac State and Cal Poly SLO as the two CSU schools who are at the Div I level in all sports and FCS in football The other Div I CSU schools who have football in CA are Fresno State, San Jose State and San Diego State. Hope all the programs do well and represent the largest university system on the planet.

Grumpy02
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:59 pm

Re: The headsman cometh

Post by Grumpy02 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:33 pm

Great QB play by Thompson tonight!!!! Keep up the great work Kevin and congrats!!! The OL did a great job protecting the QB and the D was outstanding. Great job men!

User avatar
SDHornet
Posts: 4823
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: The headsman cometh

Post by SDHornet » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:52 am

Green Cookie Monster wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:53 pm
http://www.times-standard.com/article/N ... /170909863

Who is next?
If Sac keeps losing and averaging 5,000 a game, it will bring the subject up again.

I say SJSU is in a world of hurt going forward.
Sounds like HSU has an anti-athletics president. Article doesn't go into hard numbers like attendance and donations so hard to tell what their situation is really like. Regardless if the leadership doesn't want FB, then FB goes away.

HSU's situation has no bearing on ours. We have an extremely supportive president and an AD with D1 chops...and 30k students that can pick up the tab on athletic shortfalls. Football ain't going anywhere with Nelsen at the helm.

The UIW box score lists 7.8k as the attendance, but it was probably more around 5k. That is more of an indication of the fan bases (what little one we have) confidence (or lack thereof) in Sears more than anything else. Tailgate scene was rather tame for a home opener, and the non-student sections were sparse. That will get addressed when new life is injected into this program under a new HC.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

User avatar
SDHornet
Posts: 4823
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: The headsman cometh

Post by SDHornet » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:05 am

Phantom Hornet wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:50 pm
They were up 56-8 in the 4th and gave up a couple TDs, lolololol. Not sure I can be critical of that.

I know it was Incarnate Word, but overall was impressed with the team speed and athleticism. The defense looks much improved (especially the secondary) and they have some playmakers on offense. Might not be a total loss this season.
Yup, good win with a 56-22 final. Slow start for the Hornets but they got it together and took care of a weak opponent. Thomson (10/16, 320 yds, 5 TDs, 1 INT) was very efficient and threw some perfect balls last night that went for some nice TDs. He's clearly the guy going forward, no reason to keep with the rotating QBs. Another good night for Dotson (9 carried for 74 yds, 1 TD, 1 rec for 32 yds, 1 TD). His future is bright.

Defense played well again. Very impressive performance by Terrell with his 3 picks. The had some short field stops in the 1st half that kept the game from ever getting close. Overall a dominating performance.

Special teams had its ups and downs. Dotson looks good returning the ball, but had that muffed return that gave UIW a safety. Also a blocked punt late in the game is another concerning indicator for that unit.

A much needed win for this program. :clap:
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

Oldhornet23
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:05 pm

Re: The headsman cometh

Post by Oldhornet23 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:10 pm

SDHornet wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:52 am
Green Cookie Monster wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:53 pm
http://www.times-standard.com/article/N ... /170909863

Who is next?
If Sac keeps losing and averaging 5,000 a game, it will bring the subject up again.

I say SJSU is in a world of hurt going forward.
Sounds like HSU has an anti-athletics president. Article doesn't go into hard numbers like attendance and donations so hard to tell what their situation is really like. Regardless if the leadership doesn't want FB, then FB goes away.

HSU's situation has no bearing on ours. We have an extremely supportive president and an AD with D1 chops...and 30k students that can pick up the tab on athletic shortfalls. Football ain't going anywhere with Nelsen at the helm.

The UIW box score lists 7.8k as the attendance, but it was probably more around 5k. That is more of an indication of the fan bases (what little one we have) confidence (or lack thereof) in Sears more than anything else. Tailgate scene was rather tame for a home opener, and the non-student sections were sparse. That will get addressed when new life is injected into this program under a new HC.
Back 2 Back 2-9 season will do that. If Hornets have a good home stand I would expect it to go up. Also Holy Bowl this week. Attendance never good when both games are happening

Super Hornet
Posts: 2342
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: The headsman cometh

Post by Super Hornet » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:00 pm

Incarnate Word = FCSINO....

Post Reply