Causeway Week!

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
Phantom Hornet

Causeway Week!

Post by Phantom Hornet » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:04 pm

I know the last few years have been pretty moribund around here with the state of the football program, but I gotta say I'm really excited for the Causeway for the first time in a long time. Planning to go with a bunch of buddies and tailgate.

This is one of the most talented Hornets team I've seen in years and they play a style that is fun to watch. They attack on D, they run the ball well by committee, and take deep shots regularly.

I know everything goes out the window when we play Davis, because for some reason we historically crap our pants against them (I think we get too hyped, and they treat it as business), but Saturday should be fun.

GreenArmySwarm

Re: Causeway Week!

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:56 pm

Agreed! We need to take the same approach to this Causeway game as we did will the Cal Poly game. Punch Davis in the mouth early so it's obvious this is not the same Sac State team of the past. Even in years where the Hornets are the favorites to win the game, we still tend to lose it. I'm going to optimistically predict a Hornets victory with the final score of 35-31 in front of 14.5K fans. Hopefully we get a good "home field" advantage this year...

OldSchoolHornet

Post by OldSchoolHornet » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:07 pm

We will win...it will not be close.

Oldhornet23

Post by Oldhornet23 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:13 pm

This Hornet looks to be on a Mission, return of Thomson last week. I expect the Hornets to win, Sears returns and proves being patient is key, this team returns next season as one of the Big Sky favorites!

OldSchoolHornet

Post by OldSchoolHornet » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:19 pm

OH...agreed.

Phantom Hornet

Post by Phantom Hornet » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:22 am

Nice!! Been awhile since we've seen ourselves get some votes

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/f ... fcs-top-25

Super Hornet

Post by Super Hornet » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:27 pm

Wait a minute!

We're behind Yale? And freaking Dartmouth?!?

Something's fishy here....

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:47 am

We need to thump the Aggies, get a ton of help, and hope the committee has mercy on a group of underdogs winning four of their last five games... They will likely take into account the lack of Thomson for the NAU loss, but our only real quality win is SUU.

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:14 pm

No time for a thorough breakdown, but that really isn’t needed for Causeway week. We hate them, they hate us, and that is really all that matters. I expect them to bring their “A game” which should make this a knock down drag out fight. The Hornets have the potential for a blowout win but that hasn’t happened in the Hornets favors since ’91 so I’m not expecting that to happen this time around, but I think the Hornets win this one.

The dungpilers have the best QB-WR tandem (Maier-Doss) in the conference and the most efficient passing attack in the BSC which is more than enough to give them a shot for the win. TE Preece is also a nice big target that presents matchup problems for the Hornet defense. I expect them to come out in an up tempo no-huddle hurry up to keep the Hornet defense on its heels. This means they will likely dink and donk their way down the field. Defensively I think the Hornets have to hope for a bend but don’t break style that forces them into FGs and not TDs (they are 9th in the BSC in redzone efficiency). As well as the Hornet defense has played this season, I just don’t see them shutting down the passing attack.

Defensively the dungpilers are just average, so if the Hornet offense is firing on all cylinders then they won’t stop us. With Thomson back in the fold the Hornets should be able to move the ball at will. Nothing special or out of the ordinary is needed, just go to work and do what they have done all season should suffice. If the Hornet OL punches them in the mouth early, they should be able to dominate.

This is probably the first time in a long time that the Hornets have the edge in special teams. Hornet kicking teams have been pretty good since working out the bugs early on. Medeiros is better than O’Rourke, and has better range.

Bonus: I caught a few dungpile games this season and they like to engage in a lot of extracurricular activity after the whistle. Hornets need to keep their heads and not get sucked into the nonsense. Can’t afford bad penalties and stupid mistakes in the Causeway as those kinds of thinks ALWAYS go against/hurt the Hornets in this rivalry.

Stingersup!
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

Green Cookie Monster

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 am

Agree, no stupid personal foul penalties. Their players verbally taunt and we always physically bite.

HornetHope

Post by HornetHope » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:13 pm

Interesting FCS Stats article on the playoff seeding here

www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=201711 ... 2929290604

And in the article they mention the NCAA Simple Rating System here.

www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/simp ... ngs-system

I think they are saying we had a weak schedule and our losses to teams with winning records were kinda blowouts so we are very far down the list...
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:47 pm

OldSchoolHornet wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:07 pm
We will win...it will not be close.
Good call nostradumbass. :lol:

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:49 pm

Hornets hang on 52-47 in a tale of 2 halves.

Hornets were up 52-21 and the dungpilers had the ball with a chance for the win with 3 mins to go. Unreal. Glad the Hornets hung on. :clap:

Green Cookie Monster

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:59 pm

Hornets didn’t win the game, they just didn’t lose it.

Why does anyone employ the prevent defense?

Phantom Hornet

Post by Phantom Hornet » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:31 pm

No offense, but that's BS. How many times have we watched Sac State crap the bed? They almost did it again but had the stones to pull it out. They won this game. Congrats to Sears and Co.

Green Cookie Monster

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:45 am

Phantom Hornet wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:31 pm
No offense, but that's BS. How many times have we watched Sac State crap the bed? They almost did it again but had the stones to pull it out. They won this game. Congrats to Sears and Co.
Another 5 minutes of game time and davis would have taken the lead. Hornets were not in control anymore.

Congrats to Sears for hanging on.

Oldhornet23

Post by Oldhornet23 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:15 am

Green Cookie Monster wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:45 am
Phantom Hornet wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:31 pm
Another 5 minutes of game time and davis would have taken the lead. Hornets were not in control anymore.

Congrats Sears for hanging on.
Kind of like if the Hornets had 5 more minutes in the Weber game? They gained control in that one. Love it when the what ifs come out

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:30 am

Seriously GCM, you can't even enjoy a Causeway win!?! :ohno:

Got to take any win you can in this rivalry. :thumb:

Green Cookie Monster

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:31 am

SDHornet wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:30 am
That’s right, I want a 52-21 win. Would have helped playoff chances better with a convincing win.

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:49 am

Green Cookie Monster wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:31 am
SDHornet wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:30 am
That’s right, I want a 52-21 win. Would have helped playoff chances better with a convincing win.
Based on the field that was selected, not likely. SUU (9-2, auto-bid), Weber (9-2, 8 D1 wins), and NAU (7-4, win over ranked MVFC Ill State) were selected.

If a 4th BSC team would have been taken it would have been EWU (7-4, crushed us head to head).

What this tells Sears for next season is that he need to schedule (and beat) a good MVFC team with the remaining open spot on the schedule. Heard UNC is scheduled as a non-con game. Also @ San Diego State. If Sears opens with a D2 play down game the Hornets effectively schedule themselves out of the playoffs for 2018.