• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2018-19 MBB Schedule

From what I understand, Bill Evans is required to accumulate about $425,000 in revenue from money games. And we'll be playing at Gonzaga, BSU, Pepperdine, and another California team (I can't remember which one it is).

orangeandblack said:
From what I understand, Bill Evans is required to accumulate about $425,000 in revenue from money games. And we'll be playing at Gonzaga, BSU, Pepperdine, and another California team (I can't remember which one it is).

That's not as bad as it could be.

PBP

When will the dates be release for the rest of the Non-Conference Games? I would like to book flights, that schedule looks great lets hope we don't have any of those team recruit from our core players.

Pbp. I’ve never been too much of a bill supporter when it comes to coaching on the floor especially in late game situations( altho no one can deny he is a very nice man). Late games imo has been abysmal and cost us multiple games. But I have to ask....how can it be worse when it comes to raising that much money??? That’s at least four “money” games maybe more. Which makes our overall record worse and makes it harder for our guys to believe in the staff going into conference. I fully admit I have zero idea what other big sky teams bring in money wise and realize that’s a reality at this level but I have a hard time believing others play that amount of of money games. Correct me if I’m wrong. Il welcome it. Puts us back on a level playing field. But if not. How can we really hold bill accountable? Lastly pbp you follow the women closely if I’m not mistaken. How much do they bring in? And how many games? (Just out of curiosity as I feel seton is a tremendous coach and am curious to the difference)

37: Joe O'Brien one year had to play seven or eight of them. That's what I meant by it's not as bad as it could be.

For ISU (and all schools at ISU's level) money games are now a fact of life. I guarantee you as long as ISU plays basketball they'll be having to play money games every year. I suspect all BSC schools (with the possible exception of Montana) have to play them.

Regarding the women, one year Seton had to play a bunch of money games (I think it was his second or third season) but generally it is three or four per year. I don't know how much money that brings in. The women of course have actually been able to win some of those from time to time (Wisconsin, Washington immediately come to mind.)

PBP

37: Joe O'Brien one year had to play seven or eight of them. That's what I meant by it's not as bad as it could be.

For ISU (and all schools at ISU's level) money games are now a fact of life. I guarantee you as long as ISU plays basketball they'll be having to play money games every year. I suspect all BSC schools (with the possible exception of Montana) have to play them.

Regarding the women, one year Seton had to play a bunch of money games (I think it was his second or third season) but generally it is three or four per year. I don't know how much money that brings in. The women of course have actually been able to win some of those from time to time (Wisconsin, Washington immediately come to mind.)

PBP

Got ya. And I realize it’s a fact of life for the little guys but did not have any clue it was that many at isu. I don’t think that’s setting up our teams for success. Those games are just so hard to win...altho as you mentioned the women have a couple and I remember the men beating San Francisco and Grand Canyon as well but it’s gotta be tough. Also I’d really like to find out how many the other teams in the league are playing and how much they are bringin in. My guess is not as many and not as much money. Don’t know the solution to get those games down a bit. I’m sure it’s just money and we don’t have as much as others. Ps 7 or 8 for joe in one year is flat ridiculous.

37:

I don't think the women have ever been paid more than 25 thousand for a "money game". I think the most the men got was 100 thousand for playing Maryland but they are getting substantially more of course than the women, by a very wide margin.

If you want an idea of the other BSC schools, just go to their web sites in the next month and see the number of games they are playing against the "Power 5" schools and that will give you an idea when the schedules are posted.

Regarding Montana, given their enrollment issues and the fact that the football team now has to play a "money game" every other year, it wouldn't surprise me now that I think about it, if the men's basketball team has to start playing some.

Playing "money games" at ISU (and all the programs do so including volleyball) don't set them up for success, but it does help keep the athletic department afloat financially. Until something changes that dynamic (if it ever does) like I said, you can count on having them every year.

Brad always is a better source on the money situation at ISU for athletics and may be able to fill in some of the blanks that I don't know about.

PBP

First off, I heartily agree that scheduling can play a huge role in how successful your program is. The men's basketball team is a good example -- last year, they started off 0-5, with four of those games on the road. But then they got a break, with five out of six games at home, all against lower division or less talented D-1 teams. They won those five (sandwiched around a loss at BYU), then road that momentum to an upset of Weber State on the road, and a decent season. In most years past, ISU would play a lower division team at home, disappear for two or three weeks to play "money games," come home and beat another lower division team or two, then disappear again until conference season. Typically they'd start league play with a 2-9 or 3-8 record, and it was all downhill from there.

Alas, ISU rarely gets the opportunity to play a schedule like last season's. Like most Big Sky teams, ISU has a difficult time convincing other D-1 programs to play them at home. And the "money games" are absolute necessities. Here's an interesting fact from ISU's last submission to the State Board, covering the year ended June 30, 2017. That fiscal year, ISU generated total revenue from tickets sales of ALL sports of $245,581. If you divided that number by 48, the number of home games played that year by the football, men's and women's basketball teams, soccer and volleyball (the teams that charge admission), you get an average "gate" of just over $5,100 for all ISU home games. I doubt seriously that ISU can pay the ushers, officials, and table crew, and turn on the lights and the popcorn machine for $5,100. (The Bengal men generated $425,000 in "money games" in 2016-17, the women $58,000.)

Every Big Sky team plays "money games," some more than others. Montana, considered one of the top two programs in the league year after year, played at Pitt, Penn State, Stanford, UCLA, and Washington, among others, last year. Northern Arizona, the worst team in the league the last couple of seasons, played a total of three non-conference home games last year -- two against non-Division I schools. It would be great if ISU could balance those "money games" with a nice stretch of home games every year like they did last season. But the vagaries of scheduling and having to play when you can get the "money games" often dictate otherwise.

The Sacramento State women last year played one...exactly...one non-conference home game last season.

PBP

PBP said:
The Sacramento State women last year played one...exactly...one non-conference home game last season.

PBP

And it was a non-DI.

It's kinda odd, though. Sac's women had 5 DI home non-conference games the previous year, including one against USC.

bengal37 said:
How many $ games did their men play? And how much did they get for the presumed beatings?

Virtually every road non-conference game is a “money game,” unless you have a home-and-home deal with the team. By my count ISU’s men played five road non-conference games for which there was no return trip to Pocatello. I don’t know how much they were paid for those games. As noted above, they generated $425 K the season before.

orangeandblack said:

Santa Clara announced a December 7th home game with ISU...

https://twitter.com/SantaClaraHoops/status/1021787278488887296
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SantaClaraHoops/status/1021787278488887296[/tweet]

Latest posts

Back