• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

22-23 Schedule

Kadeezy

Is it really not released yet?!

https://twitter.com/uclambb/status/1571547652403392514?s=46&t=1GMB_WHf1YfHfgp--Z3Vdg

95% of the schedule is complete. They need about 2 more OOC games. In the past, it would be filled with NAIA/D2/D3 schools. I hope it’s not the same this year unless it’s a non-D1 UC/CSU.

https://d1docket.blogspot.com/p/2022-23-conference-dockets.html?m=1

Schedule is finally out.

https://hornetsports.com/news/2022/9/27/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-releases-the-2022-23-schedule.aspx

Kadeezy said:
https://youtu.be/7W85E6vwdVM

It's been a (unreasonable?) personal expectation of mine for the team to finish with at least .500 or better record in both Big Sky and overall every year since I really started following the program in mid 2013.

Every year Katz and Laird has been letting me down with the exception of Mckinney and Garrity senior season but I was so mad that they were so so close to sharing the Big Sky title that year.

I think Coach P can exceed this expectation starting this year

https://hornetsports.com/news/2022/10/26/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-selected-6th-in-the-big-sky-coaches-and-media-polls.aspx

Media Poll - Points (First Place Votes)

1. Montana State – 258 (19)
2. Northern Colorado – 231 (6)
3. Montana – 204 (1)
4. Weber State – 189 (1)
5. Eastern Washington – 173
6. Sacramento State – 129
7. Portland State – 118
8. Northern Arizona – 78
9. Idaho – 64
10. Idaho State – 41

Coaches Poll - Points (First Place Votes)

1. Montana State – 80 (8)
2. Northern Colorado – 69 (1)
3. Montana – 64 (1)
4. Weber State – 55
5. Eastern Washington – 53
6. Sacramento State – 42
T7. Portland State – 27
T7. Northern Arizona – 27
9. Idaho – 17
10. Idaho State – 16

I don't follow the Big Sky closely enough to predict where they will finish but you can certainly do worse than 6th.

I feel bad for not giving MBB the time it deserves with Head Coach David Patrick taking over the helm. I place the blame on Hornet football and the amazing run they are currently on. That said, I expect this team to be competitive from the jump. This staff has really upped the talent on the roster via the transfer portal and I think this will be an interesting season.

I have the Hornets going an optimistic 16-15 (9-9 BSC) on the season. The non-conference schedule has a nice regional flavor with some challenges, but there are wins to be had. The Big Sky looks pretty wide open with the top two teams, Montana State and Northern Colorado, appearing the most dominant. Aside from those two programs, I think the Hornets can beat anyone else in the BSC.

Below is my win-loss prediction. I used conference preseason polls and minor digging into rosters and last season stats. Of course with the portal, it’s harder to track an impact add to the roster.

• at #7 UCLA - Loss. UCLA is a top ranked team picked to win the Pac12. It’s unfortunate that DP’s tenure is going to start with a drubbing at Pauley Pavilion.

• at UCSD - Win. The Tritons are picked 10th in the Big West. They bring back the top sharp shooter in the nation in forward Jake Kosakowski (8.7 ppg) and a quality big in forward Francis Nwaokorie (11.8 ppg, 5.8 rpg). Their top scorer from last season, guard Bryce Pope (12.3 ppg, 2.3 rpg) also returns. This will be a good barometer early in the season to see how the Hornets stack up.

• at Denver - Loss. The Pioneers were picked 5th in the Summit League. Denver returns guards Coban Porter (11.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg) and Tevin Smith (10.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg) and forward Touko Tainamo (7.4 ppg, 5.1 rpg) but not much else. Hornets could sweep this home and home series if they don’t let the travel get to them in this one.

• vs UC Merced - Win. Playdown game against a middle of the road CalPac NAIA program.

• vs dungpilers at G1 Center - Win. The dungpilers return guard Elijah Peppers (15.1 ppg, 5.1 rpg) and forward Christian Anigwe (9.9 ppg, 5.7 rpg) and are picked 6th in the Big West. They loaded up on size, so did we. My Hornet bias says our bigs are better, must win game.

• vs Hawaii at North Shore Classic - Loss. Hawaii is picked 2nd in the Big West and returns a lot of players. Guard Noel Coleman (14.1 ppg) and forwards Kamaka Hepa (9.4 ppg, 5.0 rpg) and Bernardo Da Silva (9.4 ppg, 6.3 rpg) led the Rainbow Warriors a season ago.

• vs Southern Utah or Texas State at North Shore Classic - Loss. Hornets will likely face SUU. SUU is picked 9th in the WAC and TSU is picked 2nd in the Sun Belt. Thunderbirds return their top scorer in guard Tevian Jones (14.6 ppg, 4.7 rpg) and 3rd leading scorer Maizen Fausett (11.9 ppg, 7.9 rpg) and center Jason Spurgin (8.2 ppg, 5.2 rpg). This will be a tough matchup on a neutral court.

• at Santa Clara - Win. The Broncos were picked 6th in the West Coast Conference and graduated a lot of their key contributors from a season ago. They return forwards Keshawn Justice (13.0 ppg, 6.7 rpg) and Parker Braun (6.9 ppg, 5.3 rpg) as well as center Jaden Bediako (4.1 ppg, 4.9 rpg). Hornets have a good shot at grabbing a road win against a WCC opponent in this one.

• vs Denver - Win. Hornets need to win this one in the Nest.

• vs Long Beach State - Loss. LBSU is picked 3rd in the Big West and were regular season champs last year. The 49ers return guards Joel Murray (16.7 ppg) and Jadon Jones (10.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg) along with forward Aboubacar Traore (8.3 ppg, 8.1 rpg) who is an absolute monster on the boards.

• at Fresno State - Loss. The Bulldogs are picked 7th in the Mountain West. FSU lost their top scorer but returned pretty much everyone else. They are led by guard Isaiah Hill (10.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg), forward Anthony Holland (9.6 ppg, 6.2 rpg), and guard Jemarl Baker (8.6 ppg, 3.6 rpg)

• at CSU Fullerton - Win. The Titans are picked 7th in the Big West and return 3 starters from their NCAA team but the key contributors are gone. Forward Vincent Lee (8.0 ppg, 6.3 rpg) and guards Latrell Wrightsell Jr (6.7 ppg) and Tory San Antonio (3.1 ppg) return.

• vs Stanislaus State - Win. Playdown game against a middle of the road D2 CCAA program.

• vs Portland State - Win. The Vikings are picked for a tie for 7th behind the Hornets in the Big Sky preseason polls. None of the top five scorers from a season ago return under 2nd year Head Coach Jase Coburn. The Hornets should sweep PSU this season.

• at Idaho - Win. The Vandals are picked 9th in the Big Sky and didn't return much for 4th year Head Coach Zac Claus. Idaho returns the 3rd and 5th leading scorers from a season ago in guards Rashad Smith (10.1 ppg, 5.1 rpg) and Yusef Salih (6.1 ppg, 2.3 rpg).

• at Eastern Washington- Loss. The Eagles are picked 5th in the Big Sky under 2nd year Head Coach David Riley. EWU returns three of their top five scorers from a season ago. Leading scorer forwards Steele Venters (16.7 ppg, 3.9 rpg) and Angelo Allegri (12.1 ppg, 6.6 rpg) and Ethan Price (9.9 ppg, 4.9 rpg) return. This is a series in which the Hornets should at least get a split.

• vs Northern Colorado - Loss. The Bears are picked 2nd in the Big Sky and picked up a vote to win the conference in Head Coach Steve Smiley’s 3rd season at the helm. UNC returns one of the best backcourts in the BSC in guards Daylen Kountz (21.2 ppg, 4.1 rpg) and Matt Johnson II (13.4 ppg, 3.2 rpg). Hornets will more than likely be swept by UNC.

• vs Northern Arizona - Win. The Lumberjacks are picked for a tie for 7th behind the Hornets in the Big Sky preseason poll in Head Coach Shane Burcar’s 4th season. NAU returns their top 4 scorers from a season ago and hope to see marked improvement from a rough ‘21-22 season. They are led by guard Jalen Cone (18.8 ppg, 3.0 rpg) and forward Nik Mains (11.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg). Hornets should win this game at home.

• at Idaho State - Win. The Bengals are picked 10th in the Big Sky under 2nd year Head Coach Ryan Looney. ISU returns their 4th and 5th leading scorers from a season ago in a pair of bigs, forward Jared Rodriguez (7.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg) and center Brayden Parker (7.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg). Hornets should sweep the Bengals this season.

• at Weber State - Loss. The Wildcats are picked 4th in the Big Sky under 1st year Head Coach Eric Duft. WSU returns their 2nd leading scorer in forward Dillon Jones (12.6 ppg, 10.6 rpg), but not much else. That said, Duft was a longtime assistant under Rahe and I expect this program to continue its winning ways. However, I think the Hornets can get a split in this series.

• vs Montana - Loss. The Grizzlies are picked 3rd in the Big Sky under Head Coach Travis DeCuire’s 9th season. They return their 1st and 3rd leading scorers from a season ago in forward Josh Bannan (15.1 ppg, 8.2 rpg) and guard Brandon Whitney (11.0 ppg, 2.3 rpg). I think there is potential for the Hornets to steal a win against UM if their recruits don’t pan out, but I’ll log this as a sweep in the loss column.

• vs Montana State - Loss. The Bobcats are picked 1st in the Big Sky in Head Coach Danny Sprinkle’s 4th season. MSU has experienced a rise to dominance under Sprinkle and look to continue it this season. The Bobcats will be anchored by forward Jubrile Belo (12.8 ppg, 6.73 rpg) and guard RaeQuan Battle (8.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg) with an infusion of transfers for their title run. Hornets will get swept in this series.

• vs Eastern Washington - Win.

• vs Idaho - Win.

• at Northern Arizona - Loss. Winnable game, unfortunately the Hornets don’t win games in Flagstaff.

• at Northern Colorado - Loss.

• vs Weber State - Win.

• vs Idaho State - Win.

• at Montana State - Loss.

• at Montana - Loss.

• at Portland State - Win. Hornets need a win to regain some momentum heading into the Big Sky Tournament.

Latest posts

Back