• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Coaches contracts extended

uncfootballrules

I missed this in the Tribune online version so maybe some of you did also. Interesting item - here is my take for what its worth:
1. Much to my dismay, Jay is not on the hot seat. No way they would let him extend all of these coaches for this long if he was. Most AD's want to bring their own coaches in, so this is a vote of confidence to Jay in my opinion. Frankly this sucks and pisses me off (not that the coaches were extended but that Jay appears to be safe).
2. As we all know Downing is on the hot seat and short of a miracle he is out next year. YES!
3. I wonder how these new salaries compare in the Big Sky - anyone know?

What are your thoughts?

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=3-noco-coaches-get-extensions-but-not-fo&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Good points I agree. The sad thing is if the football program could turn itself around Hinrichs would catch so much less heat it's scary. I'm still not sure about him I do, however, wish he was more open to the media and the alumni like the guys in Fort Collins and Boulder.

But if he did sack Downing after this year I'd give him credit for not being affraid to look bad because that would be egg on his face. But after another 0, 1, or maybe 2 win season Downing will have lost so much credabilty it would be hard to keep him. Maybe that's not fair but that is the coaching business like it or not.

Oh and for '09 I'll just throw this out there, I'd love to see Bryan Applewhite come back and take over here. They were doing a thing on The Mountain behind the scenes at Wyoming's spring camp and Applewhite was very impressive in my opinion. The entire time I was watching I was thinking he could be the answer in '09.

I too am glad the contracts are renewed. It shows a committment to those who will be succesfull. Hinrichs says no coach is on the hot seat but lets be real - he better show a lot of improvement this year. Two wins in two seasons is pathetic.

Boyle is our best hire and I am glad he will be around a bit longer. Benson should get a raise just because she's hot! Same with White. :D :D

I didn't see anything bad in giving those coaches extensions. They showed some success, and it's not like we have coaches knocking down our doors to come here and coach. I would be interested to see what their buy out clauses were. I'm just glad that they didn't extend Downing. Again, for the 50th time, I like him, I want him to be successful, but if he can't get it done next year...see ya.

I dont think that this means one thing or another about Jay. These are solid coaches, and even if a new AD came in, he would be smart to keep these three. My only hope for Jay leaving is that he is an ambitious guy, and we all already know he has shown an interest in other jobs. We can only hope he will leave, as I have said before Norton has never fired a senior university official, and I doubt she will start now.

Boyle is our best Big Sky sport coach, and White and Benson have shown solid performance (not to mention the hot part).

I dont think anyone is under any delusions about Downing, if he does not put up a solid, not merely improved performance, he is gone. I do understand that with more time, he could do better, but I think there are guys out there who can do better, faster. Downing will go back to his assistant role somewhere. My only question is will Jay make another bad hire?

Now that I think about we could do a lot to help, we should find the boards of schools that are looking for an AD, and go sing Jay's praises :)

Latest posts

Back