• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Congratulations on the Retirement Wizard of Rahe

n.ogdencat

Staff member
He might not have won as much as some of us on here expected him to, but with Randy Rahe we all knew that the Cats would compete and be at the top of the Sky each season. Coach gave it his best shot each year and for that I thank him for doing the best job he could. College basketball changed incredibly during his tenure in Ogden. Yet, even though the atmosphere changed, he did not. Randy Rahe is the epitome of character, integrity and valuing his players. His kids played hard, graduated and developed as men and basketball players. He brought so many great names to Ogden and for a few years he was absolutely the most dominant coach in the Big Sky. Montana's entire game plan for the season is to beat Rahe. If you can beat Rahe, you can win the Sky. No, Coach was not the greatest in game coach and he definitely struggled lately to develop bigs and to find an offense that was consistent, but defensively his teams were tough; just like him.

Weber State Men's Basketball has an incredible tradition of excellence. Randy Rahe maintained that illustrious legacy and built upon it. Some of the greatest names to play on the hardwood came to Ogden during the Rahe administration. McCoy, Harding, Tresnak, Hill, Patton, Harris, Davis, Senglin, Barry, Bamforth, Bolomboy, and of course Lillard are names many Wildcat fans will remember for decades and who helped build what was already a great tradition into something even more exception. There is a reason why the Dee Event Center exists. Weber State Basketball is definitely special. Coach Rahe contributed mightily to our tradition and storied history.

Personally, I will always remember four games from the Rahe era: Bamforth's last-second half-court heave to beat the cubbies, Lillards dunk in OT to beat SJSU and ending the losing streak in Logan and beating the Aggies. The fourth was probably the greatest game of basketball I have ever watched. Regrettably a Wildcat loss, but one I will always remember fondly. Weber losing to Montana in the 2013 Big Sky Championship game. That team would end the season playing in April at home. The only Wildcat team to win 30 games, and the first Big Sky school to play in a post-season championship. After the game against Montana, coach shook hands with Coach Tinkle, and then, instead of walking out of the tunnel, came over to where my friends and I were standing and thanked us for making the trip up to Missoula. You could tell he was absolutely sick for his players. He wanted his team to win. They did everything, but came up just short. He could have gone into the tunnel, but instead came over and thanked a group of obnoxious fans for making the trip up to watch his boys. It was a classy move from a classy guy. That is Coach. A man who will always say hello, take the time to show his appreciation and stop to talk basketball with a random fan. You are awesome Coach!!

Thank you Coach Rahe and good luck with retirement. You are truly the Wizard of Ogden.

Latest posts

Back