• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Downing on his way out?

How is it possible that downing will be able to stay in town, one win last year possibly 2 wins this next year at most, it just looks like he didn't know what he was getting himself invested in, like all the transfers, coaches leaving,the off the field problems, bad new balance deal, decreasing fan support and once again one lucky victory!

because it takes time to build a program. Coaches leaving, off the field problems, none of these are things he can control. I will say, though, that the team has taken steps to weed out some of the problem people, and i guarantee that the team will do better than 2 wins this year. That's a promise.

Phineas J. Whoopee said:
Snyder at K-State, McCartney at CU both had 1 win seasons their first year.

very true, though Downing has lots more ground to cover and UNC ain't Colorado or KSU.

Fireing coaches will do nothing to help the program, it will take time to bring things back together.

CU was probably in a lot worse shape then us. They had a lot more scandles and had a lot more declining donor money.

However, the new guy might have a point. Downing is a positive person but I'm sure at the end of the season he was just shaking is head and askign himself "what the hell did I get myself into?!" He's been involved in 1A schools for a long time and he's used to having the resources to recruit. He doesn't have those resouces here. I know he probably thought about this before he accepted the position, but we're really behind in our budget. I say we should know more about our decision to hire him in the next 2-3 years.

No offense to all the bears fans but Downing could have done a lot better I mean a coach who has the best recruiting class in d-1 a few years back, not to mention being with great coaches like Tom Osborne, Joe Tiller, and Bill Callahan, one lucky catch for the bears and thats where i'm so confused how much longer will he put up with all this negativity.

He'll get better too as a coach. I'm sure last season was a learning experience for him.

BTW, Bearsfan...not, why are you on this board? It's for Bears fans or people that have an interest in the program. So...get lost.

I'm a Scott Downing fan, and thats why I'm on here, I feel bad for the guy, he had everything, now in order to build his resume he has to go all the way back to square one, I want the bears to have success for him and his families sake I just don't see a bright future.[/img]

bearsfan...NOT said:
I'm a Scott Downing fan, and thats why I'm on here, I feel bad for the guy, he had everything, now in order to build his resume he has to go all the way back to square one, I want the bears to have success for him and his families sake I just don't see a bright future.[/img]

Maybe you don't understand. This is a Beas fan website, not a I like Scott Downing but hate the Bears fan website. Maybe you can create your own Scott Downing fan site, but anyone who hase a screen name like Bearsfan...NOT, isn't welcome here. BTW, the whole "Not" thing went out in the 90's. Get lost.

PSUVikings said:
Phineas J. Whoopee said:

very true, though Downing has lots more ground to cover and UNC ain't Colorado or KSU.

I would not say that, especially about KSU. The Cats where the worst program in all of college football, by far. UNC had one bad season, K-State had had 50.

Watch this video for a little history on how bad KSU was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqWOhweImn0

bearsfan...NOT said:

Scott has been around long enough to understand the game. Hell, the Nebraska alums ran off a coach recently. As far as Scott having everything, he was at a big program but had a minor role. Coaching UNC is a great opprotunity for him, not a step back. If he can get us competitive in the Big Sky in the next 3 or 4 years then the move will have been worth it. It's all up to him.

You might want to think about changing your user name if you want to hang around. We welcome fans from all teams, but your user name implies that you don't have a team, you just don't like UNC.

One thing KSU had going for it though was being a part of the Big 8. I've never followed college football all that closely so I'm not sure how big of a deal that was then, but it's huge now. Being a member of what is now a BcS conference helps even if you suck. I've seen that in basketball as well. I know here in Wichita we lose out on some recruits because they choose to play in the "big" conference even though they may be playing on a much weaker team. I'd guess football would present the same difficulties but make it tougher as there are a lot more scholaraships and positions to fill. But we know it can be done. I believe Boise State is a great example of moving up despite being looked down upon. So it can happen.

PSUVikings said:
Phineas J. Whoopee said:

And UNC isn't playing in the Big 8 either. It's all relative.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it--I was there for Snyder's first year. That was my freshman year at K-State, and I know how low the Wildcats were. I still remember the party those of us in the marching band had the night we beat North Texas on a last second touchdown pass.

I think I still have my "Toilet Bowl '89" shirt somewhere--Willie stuffing a Jayhawk down a toilet. That's how bad BOTH were.

This program isn't in that bad of shape, its just faced with different problems. K-State and KU were both faced with a lack of vision by coaches over time and the hoarding of recruits at schools like Nebraska. Scholarship limits played a major role in K-State's turnaround, and 20 years later, those same scholarship limits affect FCS programs.

Downing's recruiting has been solid, but remember that this year's team will be mostly freshmen, redshirt frosh and sophomores. The upper classmen are few and far between.

bearsradio said:
I'm almost embarrassed to admit it--I was there for Snyder's first year. That was my freshman year at K-State, and I know how low the Wildcats were. I still remember the party those of us in the marching band had the night we beat North Texas on a last second touchdown pass.

I think I still have my "Toilet Bowl '89" shirt somewhere--Willie stuffing a Jayhawk down a toilet. That's how bad BOTH were.

This program isn't in that bad of shape, its just faced with different problems. K-State and KU were both faced with a lack of vision by coaches over time and the hoarding of recruits at schools like Nebraska. Scholarship limits played a major role in K-State's turnaround, and 20 years later, those same scholarship limits affect FCS programs.

Downing's recruiting has been solid, but remember that this year's team will be mostly freshmen, redshirt frosh and sophomores. The upper classmen are few and far between.

Hey Troy, being closer to the program than most of us, should we expect to see a lot of departures when a current roster is (hopefully) posted at some point? Have many of the upper classmen that were hold overs from the prior regime moved on? Or perhaps were encouraged to move on?

Blofeld said:
Hey Troy, being closer to the program than most of us, should we expect to see a lot of departures when a current roster is (hopefully) posted at some point? Have many of the upper classmen that were hold overs from the prior regime moved on? Or perhaps were encouraged to move on?

I can't confirm all out names and numbers, but I do a few who left...My roster from spring is in my files at the office. I'll pull it tomorrow morning and give it a rundown.

Just know that, yes, there were some who where holdovers that didn't see eye-to-eye with some things being put in place by Downing. Even then, though, there wasn't a great amount of upperclassmen to begin with.

we know of Ealy and Wiedeman leaving, also I did notice Thomas Bauer and Chris Medved were not on the roster I got at the spring game.

I'll be curious to see if some of those that had run ins with the law last year will be back. Bliss, Carlson, etc.

Carlson was a senior, so he's gone; Bliss is not listed, though Clint Wright is.

I couch this as "unofficial", so take it for what its worth.

Underclassmen gone: Swanson, Wiedeman, Ealy, Beau Miller (WR), Mike Mullen (WR), Chris Delport (WR), Mark Unrein (DL), Bliss, Bauer, Michael Farris (FB), Medved, Jarrod Wright (OL), Maurice Potter (WR), Jordan Halvorsen (DB)

14. That's per the roster currently online from last season compared to the spring game roster. Added with 14 seniors, that's 28 roster spots turned over.

Latest posts

Back