• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Face lift for Hornet Gym?

When will Gonzalez actually be in direct, comprehensive discussions with private partners???

Seems like every year we read a quote from him stating that they are going to 'start' exploring discussions.

What will it take to start, now? What will it take to start a public donation drive for the arena and stadium?

First, if they renovate it what about the locker rooms? Concession and restroom facilities?
Second, at 2,500 seats the smallest in the BSC, can't join the WAC with that.
Third, where do they play in the meantime? That's major renovation, probably asbestos, etc.

If we had more concrete info about who/what/where/when these private partners are, I'd say sure. But it seems like a quick fix and infusion of very limited, precious dollars. Save up a few more $$ and have the state finance the rest through bonds paid back by attendance monies and build an 'arena', not a retread. Northridge is doing that with their $100M performing arts theatre, they came up with small capital and the state is financing the rest based on return dollars. It would put a burr under the administration to market the program better to fill the seats to pay the finance debt.

GCM, he has been. I think the Bee editors had some creative work with that. Please know the Dr. Gonzalez was at the game on Thursday against ISU with a private donor.

Gonzo is a damn liar. I wouldn't trust him if he told me the sky was blue. I won't trust him until he gets an arena, a real arena, not some rebuilt Hornet Gym, gets built.

If I were that donor, I'd make sure that the money would be for the new arena ONLY. Knowing what a LIAR Gonzo is, he may take the money and build a new football weight room.

It sounds like there are a lot of building Sac wants to do...to me it seems like all this will make it even harder to replace the Nest and therefore they for sure will only do the upgrade to the Nest and then maybe 10-20 yrs later re-evaluate the situation...

This sucks, Sac needs some help to compete. Whether Jenkins or anyone else thinks the gym doesn't help they are morons! Of course the arena helps! I think the main reason Weber is competitve in a Big Sky title every year in hoops is becuase of the Dee Events Center. It's huge, it's awesome and I've heard time and time again about when recruits first see it and are amazed. Filling it is anther story but the point is having a respectable facility. Sac's team deserves it and to be taken serious they need something and now!

Weber's holds 12,000. I dont' know what has happened but when it was built and up until the mid 80s when the program started going south the stadium had huge numbers. 1980 alone the attendance average was 10,500 for 16 home games. As for as far as I remember, 1990 and on, attendance average usually ranges year to year but usually between 3,000-7,000.

This season for the in-state games we had 8,000 against Utah State and 5,400 for Utah. The highest conference game was MSU with 6,000. Anyway the point is even if you get a 10,000 arena it wont guarentee anything but it will help and has potential opposed to playing in a small old gym.

In that article they had some quotes from Ken Bone of Portland State. He said the stadium isn't the only thing but at PSU they are in the same situation. They really want a new facility and are trying to figure something out because they couldn't even host the conference tourament this year at their own house.

Latest posts

Back