• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Gameday Thread Eastern 21 @ Weber 45

Sorry but that’s inexcusable. You can’t turn the ball over deep in your territory in a close game like this. I’d out in Wb2 on principle alone after that.

I know its a cliche and not sure what "leaving points on the field" really means but saying it anyway. Dumb to's and missed wr's for possible td's and another game where we don't throw down field effectively and bad decisions. Why do we have to play a near perfect game to get a win. The days of getting an ugly win out of the question. Weber not that good but good enough for us. There were/are some bright spots so keeps me thinking we will get better...Sac State next week...oh my!

91f8577d-f350-480b-9de3-47ebc19011f8_text.gif

200.gif

It’s far from the best we can do. A lot of it is coaching and and the fact that we’ve had so much turnover not only on the team but in the staff as well.

We lost some key pieces on offense and it’s the first year I can remember us playing without a truly elite QB. GT does ok but he’s got a ceiling.

The defense is it’s perennially bad version of itself but what’s hard to watch is our inability to move the ball and score points. I can’t remember the last time both defense AND offense was this bad.

I hope the Freshman QB is the guy but if he doesm’t live up to potential we really need to find a QB in the off-season who can run this offense.

Seattle Eagle said:
Simply embarrassing. It's hard to believe that this is the best effort we can put on the field.

Yeah, it’s hard to watch. We are really short on talent this year, and the desire to win just doesn’t seem to be there. We’re atrocious on defense, but not good on offense or special teams either. It’s been a long time since we’ve fielded a team this bad.

With most goals out the window at 1-4, I think it’s time to start planning for the future. Talkington’s performance tonight makes benching him a fairly easy decision. Gotta start playing the young guys and getting them prepped for the future. I’d love to say a winning record is still a possibility, but the reality is I don’t know where we could conceivably find more than 2-3 wins left on the schedule.

I’ve had enough of Gunner Talkington, instead of letting him burn those reps, put in an underclassmen NOW!!. How could you have NOTHING on deck for EBIII’s departure? That game was embarrassing. Seriously, and I had to mute those Weber State fanboy announcers.

LDopaPDX said:
Seattle Eagle said:
Simply embarrassing. It's hard to believe that this is the best effort we can put on the field.

Yeah, it’s hard to watch. We are really short on talent this year, and the desire to win just doesn’t seem to be there. We’re atrocious on defense, but not good on offense or special teams either. It’s been a long time since we’ve fielded a team this bad.

With most goals out the window at 1-4, I think it’s time to start planning for the future. Talkington’s performance tonight makes benching him a fairly easy decision. Gotta start playing the young guys and getting them prepped for the future. I’d love to say a winning record is still a possibility, but the reality is I don’t know where we could conceivably find more than 2-3 wins left on the schedule.

Well Dopa, it appears you were correct about the D. I still believe there isn't a talent problem and that's it's a Best issue. We've been through 4 (?) OC's since he took over and every single one has elected to run the most ineffective running plays (to conceivably prove to our opponents EWU can out tough them), keep our super weapon QB's bottled up and value longevity over performance. On D, we have as strong a DL as ever and yet the DC insists on standing them up instead of using their gifts for penetration just like the old DC? :eek:hno: No one can be that F'ing stupid can they? There is only a single constant to these year over year themes. HC.

Know that letting the OC/DC do their jobs without interference will make this team better since the HC can't get out of his own way. Why do I say that? Because it frankly cannot be worse. Best is a strong advocate for the program but not an X's and O's genius IMO. Plenty of successful HC's are like that. I've seen stubborn but this borders on the pathological. There is more to a program than wins and losses and maybe Best checks some of those boxes. Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is not getting it done on the field.

Changes in Admin and coaches has likely impacted the program but Best isn't navigating it very well. Two things: Last year when EB3 looked over to the sideline in several games and just shook his head on the play calls coming in was very telling and Fred Salanoa quitting after Spring Ball pre Shoemaker might have indicated the state of things. If Shoemaker quitting during a strong run in the BigSky with a Walter Payton winning QB didn't show dysfunction than someone tell me what really happened there. We've all given Best a pass on these things. Sometimes it is circumstance and sometimes you create the circumstance... This is the latter.

Was thinking Best hired Troy Taylor but alas that was Baldwin in his last season at EWU. Then Shoemaker ended up leaving I think after MSU loss in 2021. That game was ours then some whacky play calling at end of game cost us that game and high seed. I may be wrong but Shoemaker leaving before season over may have been cause Best stepped in and overrode the play calls. I remember when Best first got offense coordinator position when Baldwin was coaching but we all knew that was for pay bump for him and Baldwin called all the plays. Then when Taylor was here Best still retained running game coordinator...yeah right. Why do we have a highly touted QB brought in from Arizona St. and not play him. Is it cause Gunner is a EKG kinda guy all these years and Best feels like he has to play him. Not sure if EKG kinda guy thing is working with portals and transfers. Play the best players and get the best players. Last year was the last of any remaining Baldwin recruits. I really like Best and some (if not all) of what i said are just idiomatic expressions and conjecture on my part. Think it's the frustration and apologize if anyone if offended.

i-like-you-youre-crazy.gif

Obzerver said:
Was thinking Best hired Troy Taylor but alas that was Baldwin in his last season at EWU. Then Shoemaker ended up leaving I think after MSU loss in 2021. That game was ours then some whacky play calling at end of game cost us that game and high seed. I may be wrong but Shoemaker leaving before season over may have been cause Best stepped in and overrode the play calls. I remember when Best first got offense coordinator position when Baldwin was coaching but we all knew that was for pay bump for him and Baldwin called all the plays. Then when Taylor was here Best still retained running game coordinator...yeah right. Why do we have a highly touted QB brought in from Arizona St. and not play him. Is it cause Gunner is a EKG kinda guy all these years and Best feels like he has to play him. Not sure if EKG kinda guy thing is working with portals and transfers. Play the best players and get the best players. Last year was the last of any remaining Baldwin recruits. I really like Best and some (if not all) of what i said are just idiomatic expressions and conjecture on my part. Think it's the frustration and apologize if anyone if offended.

i-like-you-youre-crazy.gif

LOL. You're not crazy for recognizing a pattern. It's a form of measured human experience. A lot of good points and valid speculation in your post.

BTW, I still listen to The Call occasionally on road trips... Who's crazy now? :)
200.gif

Latest posts

Back