• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Opening Saturday

So, it's an exhibition, but what is everyone looking for? Here are some items that I'll be interested in...

Point: Sommers can run the point, but when he went down, so did our play. Who will step up to give quality minutes when Sommers is getting a break. Lucas? Jenkins? Dominguez?

Shooter at the two guard: Who will step up and replace Jake? Smith? He was with the program all year long last year, so it's not like he just transferred in. I think we'll see big things from him.

Juma: Can he bring it every night? Need point production from him every night.

Fast break: Can we turn a team that was great two years ago on the break, horrible one year ago, back to a team that uses the fast break as a weapon?

Inside: AW is gone. Scott needs to step up and have a monster year. Is Coston ready for minutes? Will Mara be 100% for the season and can he provide a body inside?

Team: There is a lot of talent here. Can Bone turn it into wins?

good post marty

from expierence, this game of B-Ball is dificult, anyone can beat anyone

we need to play with our heads and hearts and play as a team, we do that and we will suceed

Dominguez and Moore will have to redshirt this year due to NCAA transfer rules. Our shooting threat will be Paul Hafford. He was incredible in the game or two he played last year before breaking his foot. Hopefully this year, he wont have any health issues.

I'm concerned about our inside play. We have Scott, who can either be dominating or a pushover. Our next biggest guy is 6'8" and a Freshman. Not that Freshman can't have an impact, just look at Stuckey at EWU (or Mara last year). I'm just a little concerned that if Scott isn't doing well, or gets hurt, or needs a rest, that we are going to be REALLY small. Hopefully Coston can be ready to contribute.

Thanks for that... I didn't realize that Dominguez would have to sit out for the transfer.

We share concerns on the inside. We'll be able to run with other teams this year, but if we need to go big, we may not have the bodies to match.

I'm also concerned about injuries. If Morrison gets hurt, our biggest healthy body will be like 6'6". The freshman who is 6'8" has a bad elbow. Mara has a bad knee. Hafford has a bad ankle. From the interview on the PSU blog, it sounds like the whole team is in bad shape from injuries. It could be a slow start to the season as our guys get healthy and start playing together.

Poor Hafford. First the foot last year, now an ankle. What's it going to take for PSU fans to get a good look at this guy? :-(

I fear Morrison getting hurt, or getting into foul trouble. He usually stays away from foul trouble (unlike AW at times), but with him being the only big man this year, that could change.

Some thoughts on the game tonight...

First off, I walked out of the Stott with a much better feeling than last year when I left the exhibition game. Last year we had a huge question at the point, and that position seems pretty solid this year.

JUUUUUUUMA. Lights out shooting makes me think that he's right where he left off. The up tempo seems to have him more into rebounding. Can he do this night in and night out?

Mara. He looks like he's hit the weight room in the off season. He doesn't look as timid out there as he did at times last year. One thing I think would be better is if he would look to score more. There are times when he has position and gets the ball and kicks it right back out without the slightest idea that he should take it to the hole. Put the bug about scoring in this guy's ear and we are in business.

Smith. New guy. Me like. Great passing skills and he can shoot. I think he's going to fit in great here.

Point guard. Sommer didn't even take a shot. Nor did he need to with our quickness. The requirement of his dribble penetration like last year may not be needed. Not saying that he shouldn't/couldn't be a scorer this year, but it's a different team. His up front defense and win or die attitude make him a gamer. Jenkins can really handle the ball and this is just what the doctor ordered. Sommer can get a rest, and not worry about getting into foul trouble. I think this will make Sommer a better defender since Bone won't have to worry about who can get the ball up the court.

Morrison. Sometimes I wish he's just get that killer instinct and double pump and dunk on some people. Get mean down there in the trenches. Foul trouble may be an issue with him being the only true big guy.

Huff/Lucas. Huff seems to get the step on some folks that forces fouls. Active on the boards too. Lucas didn't shoot real well, but can sure pass.

Thomas/Coston. Saw some good play, saw some play that needs some work. Coston looks lost at times, but I like his drive to score. Thomas led the team in rebounds tonight.

Overall I had a positive feeling about tonight. Our team speed is great. It was really good to see the press like we saw a couple of years ago. I'm real curious to see how we face a press on offense. I'm sure we'll find out...

Here are my follow-up thoughts:

Scott Morrison: Needs to get a killer instinct and flush the ball down his defender's throats. When he gets the ball and goes for the basket, he looked really good. Other times, he seems really timid in there, and looks like he doesn't want to take the shot.

Tyrell Mara: Looks like he lost his "baby fat" and the sleeves to his undershirt to show off his "guns." He looks in much better shape, and he looks less akward when he has the ball. He doesn't look like a goofy freshman anymore.

Juma Kamara: Lights out shooting. Freakishly long arms. This guy will probably be our leading scorer.

Ryan Sommer: Didn't make the mistakes he did in last year's exhibition game. He looks much more comfortable in the system and with the D-I game.

Emmanuel Jenkins: Considering he is a freshman, looked very comfortable handling the ball in our system. Didn't make the first year mistakes that Sommer did last year. Very quick on both sides of the ball.

Dupree Lucas: Didn't do much but foul out of the game. I think he looks REALLY goofy with his hair up in a bun like he had. (You'd have to see it)

Sean Smith: Looks like he fits into our system very well. Can shoot and really hustles on the floor.

Julius Thomas: Big body for being only 6'5" Plays like he is 6'8". Makes an effort for every rebound.

Kyle Coston: I've seen him compared to Tyler Hollist from last year. That is a bad comparison. Tyler was a lanky tall guard. Coston is a bigger guy who will play inside. He needs to hit the weight room and put some weight on, but he did well for a freshman.

Overall, I am VERY impressed with our freshman class, Jenkins, Thomas, and Coston. They all played well and with alot of energy. We are only going to lose two players this year to graduation, Juma Kamara and Paul Hafford. Paul couldn't use his redshirt last year because he used it the year before that. This year will be another transition year I think, but the foundation will be laid for the next couple years. Its hard to make any kind of judgement on how well this team will do after an exhibition game against a D-II program. I like our up tempo game, and the Stott Center should be very exciting this year.

On a side note, we might have the scruffiest looking basketball team ever. The only two players that have a clean cut look are Morrison and Coston. Everybody else has long, scraggly, nappy hair (think Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitski)

Heh, my Dad and I had the same "baby fat" comment about Mara. He looked so much more confident out there last night than that of a year ago...

What did you think about Coston's willingness to put the ball of from the outside? You're spot on about the weight that he needs to put on so that he can bang around inside, but I like a frosh who looks to put the ball in the bucket.

I agree. Our players need to get agressive with putting the ball in the basket. I'm not saying so agressive that they are taking bad shots, but if they've got a good shot, take it!

Latest posts

Back