• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Power of 1000 Hornets

Kadeezy said:
Positive updates would make me more inclined to bite the bullet...
Well is a $750k donation positive enough? Time to cut a check K. :lol:

I hope this huge donation starts a snowball effect.

I have a feeling when Tschannen meets the young men on the Sac St team he may open up the checkbook again...The group of players Katz has assembled is as nice and good a group of young men as you could ever find anywhere...good job by Marcus Jennings thinking outside the box...keep up the good work....

SD, I'm in... I hope PGP is right - noticed Aileen threw in at the end of the article that there may be an even bigger donation coming....

Wow.

Fantastic news!!!!

Bless this man!!!!!!

Are we at a million now?

And is not a million the goal of Power of One Thousand Hornets as the seed money for the next goal, the next move?

And can't remember what is supposed to happen after 1 million is raised but seem to remember that the Sac State President is supposed to reach out to the CSU Chancellor's office and ask for the money to get an events center built at Sacramento State? Get a 60 year old gym that is way past it's time set aside just for intramurls and PE classes and get an events center built for the one campus among 23 that does not have a place to hold events and Division I sports I that holds no more than 1,000 people?

Hope President Nelson is all over this and making calls. And events center would seem simple for this President after leaving a university in Texas that he basically had rebuilt.

Would love to see Hornet Gym being retired ASAP .

josephpoint said:
And can't remember what is supposed to happen after 1 million is raised but seem to remember that the Sac State President is supposed to reach out to the CSU Chancellor's office and ask for the money to get an events center built at Sacramento State? Get a 60 year old gym that is way past it's time set aside just for intramurls and PE classes and get an events center built for the one campus among 23 that does not have a place to hold events and Division I sports I that holds no more than 1,000 people?

Hope President Nelson is all over this and making calls. And events center would seem simple for this President after leaving a university in Texas that he basically had rebuilt.

Would love to see Hornet Gym being retired ASAP .

Nelson built a UT campus, which is like the UC in Kalifornia. Money pouring out of the rafters that is available and funded 110%.

The CSU is hobo broke and this won't even be considered by the Regents until the new Science Building is built and it has been with the regents for six years trying to get pushed through. Until Moonbeam Brown is voted out look for no CSU funding to continue.

$1M out of the $100M is not going to initiate anything official, they will need about $25M cash before state bonds are generated. Gonzo approved the last stage which is to use executive authority to add this to the Master Plan. Highly doubt Nelson will mandate a fee for this as he is still on the honeymoon. Maybe when he is ready to retire in the next 5-10yrs and he can sign off as he is stepping out of office.

yep.

understand.

Just got excited for a minute there...smile.

We do need a science building and we need all the buildings build 60 years ago replaced.

Just think a solid athletic program is the calling card for so much in terms of donations as you see at so many universities.

But understand that we are a CSU and not a uC and so we wait.

Just would be so nice to have what

San Diego State has
San Jose State has
Fresno State has

all the rest of the Div I CSUs have nothing to write home about but better than us.

And many of the CSU Div II schools have better gyms ( event centers then us)

Well, hopefully we will continue to get great donations like we did today and get this done!!!

Still very pleased with this $750,000.00 donation. Just wonderful news.

The problem, as usual, we chase nickels and our counterparts chase Benjamins.

Save Mart ponied up $25 mm naming rights for Fresneck.

We need to hire a world class fundraiser who knows the players and knows how to milk the Tech cow.

Facebook Arena? Google Center? Uber Arena?

First get an architectural rendering and pitch the naming rates. In Sacramento, that close to Highway 50, we could easily get $25 mm for naming rights.

Sometimes it feels like we cant seem to get away from playing small ball...

I say hire u Hornethope.

you have the answer for getting this done already. This is truly not brain surgery. I have raised over $300,000.00 for a non profit that I am involved with in the SF Bay Area as a mere volunteer.

But if you are not available , a world class fundraiser to focus on getting this done is indeed in order.
So in order and so needed.

Have no idea who currently is in charge of the Power of 1,000 Hornets. So odd that things are such a mystery and who the heck is running this effort?

But, yet again, so happy to see us $750,000.00 closer to an arena at Sac State.

HornetHope said:
Save Mart ponied up $25 mm naming rights for Fresneck.

Facebook Arena? Google Center? Uber Arena?

First get an architectural rendering and pitch the naming rates. In Sacramento, that close to Highway 50, we could easily get $25 mm for naming rights.

Sometimes it feels like we cant seem to get away from playing small ball...

Fresneck did this and so did SDSU because they are FBS. Plus these programs average 5K+ per game in attendance and have won championships in a FBS conference. FCS is still viewed as D2 by corporate America and will always be. Much harder sale.

Gonzo landed $12M from Pepsi, I don't see why another exclusive campus deal couldn't be made. With all the cash that Apple has and it's close proximity, I'd be stalking those folks.

Golden1 has been a premier sponsor since when I was on campus, (25yrs. ago), and I am baffled they haven't stepped forward (Kings beat them to the $$). Same with VSP. Sleep Train no longer has a venue, hello.

Why don't we have Blue Diamond sponsor the baseball team? A national brand, in our back yard that uses a diamond as its logo, how does that not relate to baseball?

Argh, I've entered josephpoint's fairyland.

josephpoint said:
Have no idea who currently is in charge of the Power of 1,000 Hornets. So odd that things are such a mystery and who the heck is running this effort?
It’s not a mystery. The Alumni Association has its name all over the P1000 page. Hornet Athletics (Markus Jennings) was instrumental in getting the P1000 effort going and they were successful in getting others on campus to buy in to get the P1000 drive to be a collaborative effort. All the funds go through the University Foundation (as every and any donation made to Sac State for any purpose does). The collaborative effort broadens the appeal to various audiences (fans, alums, community, etc) to garner donations.

The large donations will need to come in to get the events center built, but don’t discount the P1000 effort. The fundraising effort needs to start somewhere and getting smaller donations from a large group of donors is essential in getting the event center built. Keep in mind this is the first publicly organized fundraising effort for the event center, all the past efforts were not as coordinated as this.

The previous mentality of sitting around hoping for a whale to come in and donate a boatload of money didn’t go too well. I don’t see an issue with trying something different. It’s certainly better than the non-existent effort we had in the past.

Most importantly Pres Nelsen is on board and understands the importance of getting an event center built. I trust he will be doing all he can to advance this development.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOXlzC7eNMg&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

mystery was a bad choice of words.

Love the PI campaign as I have stated before.

Just coming from the stand point of updates.

Where are we at?
How many have contributed?

Have 25 people contributed, have 600 contributed, how close are we to 1,000 in the PI campaign.
Just a simple question The Hornet Club updates us often on memberships and goals and think this is good. Think the PI campaign is GREAT and completely agree that hundreds or thousands of people putting money and energy toward a new event center is indeed the answer. I am a smart Sac State alum and got a good education and know how to think realistically just like everyone on this board. All of u r great fellow hornets.

Many thanks to Mr. Jennings for driving the ship. I forgot for a small second who was in charge.

Would just be nice to have updates on where we are and where we need to go.

We all want the same thing.

A new event center.

And sure I will be slammed for this, but just heard today on the radio that there are 150 Sleep Train new storres being opened in CA.

Sure Mr. Jennings has been in contact with our prosperous Sac State alum, Dale Carlson.

The Sleep Train Event Center?

STEC

Has a nice ring to it.

Slam away at this fairyland thought.

We are all on the same page Sac Buzz friends.

At the Hornet Club crab feed last night, Macriss announced that over $1.9M has been received or pledged towards the P1000 effort.

SDHornet said:
At the Hornet Club crab feed last night, Macriss announced that over $1.9M has been received or pledged towards the P1000 effort.

Awesome information, thanks SDH!
How much will need to be in coffer for Pres. Nelson to enact the Executive Order and raise the fees?

Seems like the other 'academic' projects are now funded and scheduled for ground breaking: new dorms, Science Building and Parking garage. Along with the new $25M Union addition and biosphere center quad, there will be some construction again!

Would be nice to have the construction cam like they did for the WELL.

Great news!!!!!

Was just going to ask if the one million goal has been attained. So glad to see that it has and then some.

What is next to move the Event Center towards ground breaking?

Looked at the Cal Poly fan board the other day and see that our rival in SLO is looking to build a new event center like us to replace their old gym like ours.

Hope President Nelson is aggressive in his efforts to lobby state funds to build our facility now that we have a new Science building coming on board and more on campus housing in addition to the entire Sac State master plan.

Cal Poly got their football stadium re built with donations from Mr. Spanos if memory serfves me right and
we got a couple new entrances from Mr. Spanos and a new fence around Hornet Stadium.
Appreciate that but Cal Poly scored big time and we did not. We still have the huge football stadium with a track around it and rusty bleachers.

Again, trusting that President Nelson is stepping it up to be the president who at last truly improves our facilities. That means an event center and a football stadium with a permanent super structure.

And any and all athletic facilities at Sac State which turns 70 years old soon, with just the simple improvement as permanent restrooms would be oh so nice And so much more. On campus top notch tennis facilities, a club house for softball, permanent seating for soccer and a club house for them. A sand volleyball complex.

Do look forward to lights at John Smith Field, and a new lobby for Hornet Gym but we need so much more and have waited so long.

With Portland State breaking ground on their new arena

(http://www.goviks.com/news/2015/6/2/athletics_0602155547.aspx),

looks like we are the only laughingstock left in the league. Even the Bee is taking events center shots in their baseball story today. Any updates?

Yes, would be nice to see an update , any update, on our Events Center.

Good for Portland State as the only other school in the Big Sky with a really bad facility for basketball/volleyball/gymnastics, etc. at the Div. I level.

So what is the news for us?

What is our next step. We have the first million raised I think. So what is next?

Latest posts

Back