• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Proposal to transform parts of The WELL to becomes the new home for Sac State indoor sports

hoopsfan05

https://twitter.com/SH_Sports/status/1722377401991311715

https://twitter.com/SH_Sports/status/1722385659271524589

Wonder what seating capacity they are going to get out of this. Probably not more than 2500-3000 like Northern Colorado unless they truly utilize the 2nd floor.

Based on how the release was worded, this may be a long term stop gap, if there is such a thing. Repurposing part of the WELL for an events center and expanding the WELL over the next 10 years for other amenities. An initial build out for basketball, other sports and concerts with incremental improvements to the center.

It will be better than the Nest for sure, so not complaining. Fingers crossed they do a really good job with the 5.2 million.

From Dr. Wood…

We did it! UnionWELL board voted unanimously to green light project to renovate the WELL to create an events center! Next fall semester, we will be playing basketball, volleyball and gymnastics in the new events center! Big step forward for Sac State! Big financial boost for club and recreation sports. Thank you to the ASI Presidents who lended their voices and support to make this happen. “We are the one and only public university, in the state capital, of the fifth largest economy in the world, and we’re acting like it! “

Text for non subscribers.

End of era: The Nest, Sacramento State’s 69-year-old gym, will give way to new facility BY JOE DAVIDSON UPDATED NOVEMBER 19, 2023 6:25 AM

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article281818453.html#storylink=cpy

For all of the layers of new dark green paint that has been applied to the walls and ceilings of late, none of it can cover up the real issue for Sacramento State’s gymnasium. Not an arena, a gym. It’s a polished eye-sore for a campus big on image, perception and reputation. All that paint and gloss is, “like putting lipstick on a pig,” school President Luke Wood told The Sacramento Bee during halftime of Tuesday night’s men’s basketball home opener at the cozy, if not sorely outdated, venue known as The Nest. Wood said Tuesday that there was a plan in motion to play basketball and other indoor sports elsewhere on campus starting next fall, meaning this winter will be the slow curtain drop on a cramped setting that rated as the most meager and cramped in all of NCAA Division I.

On Wednesday, Sacramento State made it official, announcing that funding has been approved to create an events center just beyond Hornet Stadium in The Well fitness and health facility. The Board of Directors for the nonprofit that runs The Well and Sac State’s University Union hall unanimously approved a resolution to provide up to $5.2 million from reserves for the project, which includes seating that would far exceed The Nest’s 1,012-person capacity. On Nov. 9, Sacramento State’s governing body Associated Students Inc. passed a resolution in favor of the project, which followed Wood sending a letter with his proposal.

When Wood assumed his role in July at the helm of Sacramento State, his alma mater, he took a peek inside The Nest. He was not impressed. Imagine, then, what scores of basketball recruits experienced over the decades. The Nest opened in 1955 and has generally looked the part, even with all the new paint and a new scoreboard with the backdrop of a spirited band. The Nest has hosted everything from Hornet boxing All-Americans to Sacramento State’s 1962 NCAA Division II national championship runner-up squad to a Jimi Hendrix show in 1968 to scores of volleyball and gymnastics conference championships. Wood peered into The Nest some 20 years after he last saw it and flinched.

“I walked in and I was expecting to see something different,” Wood said. “They’ve done a nice job of making it look a little better, but I was, ‘Oh my gosh!’ It hasn’t changed. That’s not good for our students.” Wood said roll-out seats will be used in The Well to accommodate NCAA games. New lighting, scoreboards, video boards and a public address system will be installed. It’ll be a new era to match the ambition of the volleyball, gymnastics and men and women’s basketball programs that aspire to win conference championships. Those sports will be housed in The Well.

“It’s time,” Hornets athletic director Mark Orr said Tuesday night. “We need something better and I like President Wood’s vision.” ‘IT’S TIME FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT’ Sacramento State has tried for decades to get an on-campus arena built, or even talked about seriously. What the university has not had, unlike other colleges dotted across the West Coast, was deep-pocketed donors to jump-start such a project that could have cost upwards of $100 million. So Wood thought outside the box while looking within his own campus.

“The whole point is to think differently,” he said. “I say this to people all the time. We’re the only public university in the state capital, the fifth largest economy in the world, and we have to act like it, and we’re playing in a gym that’s not even better than my high school gym (at McCloud in Siskiyou County), and I went to a school with 100 kids. I’m serious. Our gym was better than this gym. “So we know we’ve got to do better. We can’t have students that we’re recruiting come in here and be underwhelmed with what they see. It’s got a lot of character. There’s a lot of memories in here, and it’s not going any place, but it’s time for something different.”

Women’s basketball won a Big Sky Conference championship last season, its first, and gymnastics and volleyball have combined to win 20 conference titles in the last 25 years. Men’s basketball appears to be on an upward cycle under second-year coach David Patrick, and a fresh venue will help all of those programs continue their climb, Wood and Orr said. “They need to be in a better facility and we can do that without spending $95 million to build an arena,” Wood said. “We can spend 5-and-a-half million and be there next year.”

Although the intent is to have student-athletes come to Sacramento State to earn a degree, they also want to play sports on scholarship. Competing in a facility that’s more on par with rival programs is long overdue, Wood said. Beyond that, Wood said image can be a powerful thing. “Athletics are the front door to the university, right?” Wood said. “It impacts how students want to apply here, whether or not they want to be here. It impacts how the community thinks about us. It impacts people who want to donate and support. So think about all the great things we do academically and, most people, their first entry point to that is through football, basketball and other revenue-generating sports.

“We have got to make sure that we’re in facilities that give dignity to the level of commitment that athletes are putting on the court or on the field.”

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article281818453.html#storylink=cpy

Adding pull out stands, lighting, scoreboards, and a PA system to the Well does not replace the need for a bonafide event center. I am guessing most of the universities we are competing with don’t need to stop intramurals and pull out the stands before walking their recruits into the facility to show them were they play their games. Just check out the new arenas at Portland State and Idaho as examples of what we should have. The Well will not put us on par with the other teams in our conference. Or UC Davis, UOP, Or San Jose State to name a few. We will still have the worst facility of all the state schools and UC schools. Hoping this is not a band aid that lasts another 25-30 years.

Greenteam said:
Adding pull out stands, lighting, scoreboards, and a PA system to the Well does not replace the need for a bonafide event center. I am guessing most of the universities we are competing with don’t need to stop intramurals and pull out the stands before walking their recruits into the facility to show them were they play their games. Just check out the new arenas at Portland State and Idaho as examples of what we should have. The Well will not put us on par with the other teams in our conference. Or UC Davis, UOP, Or San Jose State to name a few. We will still have the worst facility of all the state schools and UC schools. Hoping this is not a band aid that lasts another 25-30 years.

I'd like to see the plans first before I make my final decision on how to feel about it. But if the alumni want something more, then either the alumni are going to need to step up and donate. There are more than enough in the area to chip in a few bucks and pay for an arena. Or there needs to be a big money doner along with some naming rights. Otherwise, this is what we have.

Greenteam said:

Oh it will be a bandaid. #hobopoor
$5.2M is laughable.

Greenteam said:

Portland State basically traded the old gym on one side of what’s essentially the PE building for a space that constitutes the arena on the other side. Most of the offices for each sport were re-established in rooms around the new part of the structure. Funny thing: there’s also these gathering spaces for students (sofas, chairs, low tables) that are usable on non-game days. That’s not to say the new part of the structure isn’t an arena, but there was a little thought to use beyond events. Also of note, Oregon Health Sciences University partially funded the improvements and uses the event space a couple times a year or so.

Long ago, when I was a student, the game floor was used for PE classes.

I’m not going to search for one or more Sports Illustrated articles about trying to find multiple uses for stadiums and event spaces… but in my observation, as the money continues to stand further and further out in college sports, you’re going to find more people fighting against that. I’m inclined to believe that doing this might lead to NOT isolating sports against the rest of the students (which is absolutely an issue at Portland State).

I did say “might.” And I do remember when the students down your way voted for the full package… maybe this is a way to annoy them into further action? Shrug.

Latest posts

Back