• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

PSU 2023

Alan1

Massey Ratings has PSU at 3 and 5 in the Sky and 4 and 7 overall: https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/6302

Big Sky Coaches' and Media Polls:
Coaches’ Preseason Poll
1. Montana State (10) – 120
2. UC Davis (1) – 96
3. Sacramento State (1) – 94
4. Weber State – 91
5. Idaho – 89
6. Montana – 84
7. Eastern Washington – 52
8. Portland State – 45
9. Northern Arizona – 44
10. Northern Colorado – 37
11. Cal Poly – 25
12. Idaho State – 15

Media Preseason Poll
1. Montana State (26) – 447
2. Idaho (8) – 410
3. Montana (2) – 359
4. Sacramento State (3) – 334
5. UC Davis – 330
6. Weber State – 320
7. Eastern Washington – 216
8. Northern Arizona – 178
9. Portland State – 167
10. Northern Colorado – 109
11. Cal Poly – 103
12. Idaho State – 69

First-place votes in parentheses

Well, another season of mediocre football is over. At least 4 and 4 in conference is better than the 3 and 5 of last year.

From ESPN today :

FLAGSTAFF, ARIZ. -- Northern Arizona has fired football coach Chris Ball after five seasons.

"The school announced Ball's contract would not be renewed on Monday, two days after the Lumberjacks beat Eastern Washington 49-42.
Ball was hired in 2018 to replace Jerome Souers, who stepped down after 21 seasons. Ball had served as Memphis' defensive coordinator the previous season in a long career that included stops at Arizona State, Washington State and Alabama.
NAU had some successes under Ball, including the program's first win over a Pac-12 opponent against Arizona in 2021. The Lumberjacks weren't able to win consistently, however, finishing with a winning record once by going 3-2 during the pandemic-altered 2020-21 season.
NAU went 5-6 overall and 5-3 to finish tied for fourth in the Big Sky Conference. The Lumberjacks went 20-30 under Ball."

Let's compare any other team in the conference to Portland State's refusal to face reality. Has there been an administration in the Big Sky as negligent, stubborn, or lacking in vision as Portland State over the last 9 years ? After 36 years as a season ticket holder, I did not buy into another round of tickets this year and will not support the program next year or thereafter until this university demands more. We came a breath away from losing to the only winless team in the conference, in which a loss would have ensured ANOTHER losing season. As it turns out, we were still able to be MEDIOCRE. Again. I'm heartbroken.

But what’s reality?

It’s a mediocre football program that exists to keep what marginal investments Portland State has made in D-1. I harbor no illusions that they think they’re doing more than surviving. They’re already executing a mostly fan-free funding philosophy. Scooter, we’re irrelevant here.

Some of you may have gotten a kick out of the new president’s video during Dam Cup week… I have to admit that the thought in my mind was “more performative stuff.”

NOW… you can’t even drop to D-2 and keep football with any economic sanity. CWU and WOU have interesting decisions to make.

But also now… it’s not just the administration that needs to be on board. Scene: driving out of Corvallis back in July, tearing down 34 toward the freeway, and where you would usually see the billboards selling tickets for OSU football, instead they’re promoting the Dam Nation Collective. Mind you, I can’t decide if that naming was intentionally or unintentionally funny. They’re talking NIL on other Big Sky boards. Here? Maybe I’m missing something- supposedly the last year was one of Barnum’s best recruiting classes- but will that come to anything? Can Portland State recruit the kids already in the program?

Latest posts

Back