• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

PSU is growing up

Viking Marketing Department Wins Six National Awards

PSU’s athletics program is maturing, coming into its own as a Division I Athletic program, believes Associate Athletics Director Scott Herrin, whose portfolio includes the organization’s marketing promotions that have earned a basketful of national awards:

http://www.goviks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=19300&ATCLID=1481996

OHSU joins with other universities on proposed life sciences building
Unable to bankroll the project itself, the financially troubled medical school will seek $250 million in public and private funds for the collaborative building

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/business/12154893064980.xml&coll=7

OHSU, UO, OSU, OIT and PSU working together. How novel.

In my opinion, these collaborations are great as long as they are in addition to, and not instead of, state support for PSU's core campus.

As I understood it, the 250 million request is completely no and independent from the existing budget. Plus, old science buildings will be closed for renovation soon anyway. This allows for some major restructuring and additional room for growth. Sounds all good to me.

I think PSU will see numerous corporation offers from the rural universities in the future. With the soaring fuel and airline ticket prices, Portland with its focus on sustainability, healthy public transportation infractructure, and lack of sprawl will become an *extremely* popular place to live and work. That's definitely great for PSU's future; we will see how good it will be for the future of the Portland as we know it today.

An editorial in today's Oregonian:

A huge opportunity on the South Waterfront

We're pleased to see the collaboration among Oregon universities on a major new development in Portland's South Waterfront. But the universities must go beyond a group hug to keep alive the dream of a waterfront campus.

Here's our full editorial on the subject for Wednesday's newspaper:

Signs of life (sciences) on the South Waterfront

Last year, an anonymous donor gave $40 million to Oregon Health & Science University to jump-start development on the downtown side of its South Waterfront campus.

Nothing happened.

No bulldozer growled. No steel soared. No interior design firm celebrated the chance to put kids through college.

The stall served as a stark reminder that in so many of our city's vaunted public-private partnerships, the public side of the equation inks the deal.

That's why it's so important that the Oregon State Board of Higher Education embrace the opportunity facing it Friday. It must decide to invest $250 million in exactly the sort of venture Portland has been waiting for.

In a striking demonstration of what can be achieved when longtime competitors opt to cohabit, OHSU is offering to partner with the University of Oregon, Oregon State University, Portland State University and the Oregon Institute of Technology on a project it calls the Life Sciences Collaborative.

Make no mistake, at stake here is a much larger agenda than just getting these folks to play nicely together. In addition to unleashing the next wave of OHSU expansionism, this proposal advances two key civic agendas:

*It strengthens Portland State's drive to emerge as a major urban university.

*It leverages South Waterfront in a way that the city's investment, especially in the neighborhood's transportation infrastructure, warrants.

Portland said from the start that although condos were nice along the Willamette's bank south of the Marquam Bridge, the riverfront neighborhood really needed jobs. Lots of them.

The initial idea for the emerging health and science campus was that public-private research partnerships would generate lots of employment -- in biotech.

We turned out to be a little late to that party.

More encouraging this time around is the amount of horsepower involved. In the proposed new center would be classroom and lab space for OHSU's medical school, for Portland State's science departments, for Oregon State's College of Pharmacy and for OIT's health-related programs. That combo platter should serve as a better lure for what we need next: hundreds of jobs at a biomedical device firm or drug discovery company.

We're not banking on a silver bullet. We're simply calling for one more step in the state's long-overdue care and feeding of higher education in the Portland area.

Up next, we need to see less talk and more walk on the sustainability front. And greatly enhanced access to higher education for Portland-area students, leading to much better graduation rates. (We wouldn't mind a bit if, in the process, tuition at PSU was free to any graduate of a Portland high school.)

We have no interest here in promoting collaboration for the sake of collaboration. We're looking for progress, not a group hug. The key to success in concord is to be selective. With the Life Sciences Collaborative, we believe higher ed is doing just that.

New degrees to be approved soon
Degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Public Management to be added

http://media.www.dailyvanguard.com/media/storage/paper941/news/2008/07/09/News/New-Degrees.To.Be.Approved.Soon-3389213.shtml

The Oregon State Board of Higher Education will likely decide to approve two new programs for PSU at their July 11 meeting.

One of the programs would allow for a Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering to be obtained through PSU. This would round out Maseeh College of Engineering & Computer Science by allowing each of its departments to have a doctoral program.

The other program the board will look at would allow PSU to offer a Graduate Certificate in Public Management. The certificate would be obtained through a graduate level program that is designed to consist of about half of what is typical for a masters degree.

Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Roy Koch said many fields evolve and require new programs to help accommodate.

"It's an ongoing process," Koch said.

In June, the board approved two degrees within the School of Fine & Performing Arts that will allow them to offer a Master of Architecture and a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Art degree.

"We are delighted about both of these," Barbara Sestak said, dean of the School of Fine & Performing Arts.

The Masters of Architecture is a first professional degree, which is one of the paths to take in becoming licensed in architecture. Sestak said many students had to move out of state to progress after receiving a bachelor's degree with a major in Architecture.

A Bachelor in Fine Arts was missing from PSU in the past and will also serve as a professional degree for those in that field.

"A lot of the students in that program want to be professional artists," Koch said.

As dust settles, a new PSU emerges
Revamped Shattuck Hall to house master’s degree program for architecture

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=121563735628210800

I've always had mixed feelings about Shattuck. I think it is nice to have a building like it on campus, with its classic academic look, but at the same time, couldn't we build a larger building in the same spot that could provide much more classroom and office space?

These items have been budgeted for a long time, and it's great to see progress being made, especially with Lincoln, which badly needs the renovation. The modern buildings on campus weren't the draw for me at PSU, but I could definitely see that being the case in the future. By the time the science projects wrap up at SB2, and with OHSU, PSU could be a really hot draw (not just in Oregon), especially with the new MAX line. I just hope they don't forget that the Stott is next on the list after these projects.

As far as the campus buildings go, I think the most recent wave of buildings is really nice. The Maseeh Engineering building, the Urban Center, the Broadway, etc. are all aesthetically pleasing. Perhaps more importantly, they do a good job of integrating campus uses with the downtown environment at street level. This is primarily because they are mixed use buildings, but also because of the way they've been designed with art and public space in mind. Another building from that mold, the Native American Center, is one of downtown's hidden gems if you ask me. I think its location on the edge of campus prevents it from getting the notariety it deserves. If the new Stott was designed by the same architects who've handled these other projects, I'd be pretty happy.

PSU gets advanced Russian program
National security - A federal grant will launch the classes and overseas studies

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/12182451253000.xml&coll=7

Up-and-coming National Universities

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/national-uc-rank

Portland State University Portland, OR Rank 7
;)

Some nice national recognition. I suspect we'll get a lot more attention when all the renovations are finished on campus.

This is very, very nice. There is so much reason to be proud of PSU. It's great that the school's development is recognized.

(This said, I think rankings in general are pretty stupid...;))

PortlandStater said:
This is very, very nice. There is so much reason to be proud of PSU. It's great that the school's development is recognized.

(This said, I think rankings in general are pretty stupid...;))

I second that. I'm always torn between being excited about doing well in such rankings and remembering to criticize them for being part of the problem. Flawed methodology, perpetuation of myth...don't get me started.

PSU hits the road to attract MBA students

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2008/09/08/story6.html

Globe-trotting Portland State University officials are reaping dividends from their travels.

Since 2004, the number of Asian students in the school’s graduate business programs has increased sixfold.

The university has been sending a representative each year since 1999 to recruit students from eight Asian countries. This month, officials will join 50 other business schools on an all-Asia tour.

Portland State’s program in finance and administration, which had three students from Asia enroll in 2004, had 16 enroll this fall. The school’s regular MBA program had just one Asian student in 2004. This year, it has nine.

Dark Horse Comics, Inc., Donates Complete Collection to Portland State University Library

"Neil Hankerson and Mike Richardson are stellar examples of engaged Portland State University alumni who give back to their community and to their university," said Helen H. Spalding, PSU's university librarian. "Their generous gift of the corpus of the Dark Horse Comics, Inc., is a significant destination collection for those researching the history of comics, popular culture, sequential art and many more facets of inquiry. Because of the reputation and size of the Dark Horse collection, the Library hopes to attract additional comic collections from other publishers and collectors, creating one of the largest research collections of its kind."

http://www.pdx.edu/news/21408/

PSU’s Shattuck Hall now ready for class
$13.9 million renovation completed just as the university expands its architecture department

http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDetail.htm/2008/09/24/PSUs-Shattuck-Hall-now-ready-for-class-139-million-renovation-completed-just-as-the-university-expan

Interesting Quote from the Prez:

Speaking in front of the newly renovated Shattuck Hall at Portland State University, PSU president Wim Wiewel hinted at his desire to see more buildings on campus renovated.

“We have 50 buildings, and the average building needs an overhaul every 50 years,” said Wiewel. “If we don’t have a crane going every year, we’re not doing our jobs. I expect architects and contractors will like to hear that.”

Latest posts

Back