• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Recruiting??

talhadfoursteals said:
oldrunner said:
talhadfoursteals said:
Seiku left because:

1. He felt his development was stalled and feels a new location can help him improve.
2. Randy is about to sign a really good guard who will cut his PT.
3. He thinks he is better than where he is.
Sounds like you talked to him.

This is exactly what happens with transfers coming in. The coaches often know, weeks before it is announced, who is coming in and they let players know what the future might look like. They try to do it in a way that gives the transferring player a good chance of landing in a good spot. It sounds like this one happened late in the process, just like the rest of our recruiting this year. It is turning out to be a whole new game this year. :coffee:

I definitely have not talked to Seiku. I should have put an "or" between 2. and 3. I was curious as to why everyone thought he was leaving. Personally, I think it is a little of 1 and 2. BUT...
You could be right, or not. It could be just about any reason. I don't really care what his reasons were. I do know this; Randy wouldn't cut him. However, Randy would tell him what the prognosis for his future playing time might be, given who we expected to be with us in the fall. Segu was going to be in the main rotation at the very least. I wouldn't be surprised if he lands with a pro club in Spain.

I expect at least one more guard signed and maybe two. We need at least two big men as well. :coffee:

Last year with one of the best rosters ever at Weber we sucked! Maybe this season with a less than stellar roster we’ll kick butt! The only constant is usually the coaching staff, but That also had some changes. Think I’m going to enjoy football season!

Brick3’s said:
Last year with one of the best rosters ever at Weber we sucked! Maybe this season with a less than stellar roster we’ll kick butt! The only constant is usually the coaching staff, but That also had some changes. Think I’m going to enjoy football season!
I think we all are going to enjoy football season. I'm going to enjoy softball and track right now, football in the fall and basketball in the winter.

This thread is about recruiting. I'm enjoying that at the moment. Like I said, this year is different from all the others. We missed on some big, talented wings and we signed the next best freshman we could get. Now we are after some high level transfers and the wait seems excruciating. The process is so different this year and you don't want to blink for fear of missing something. I'm sure there will be change in the process again next year. I find that it keeps my interest peaked. We have four more spots to fill and it could drag on for a while. Let's see what we look like in August . :coffee:

One more commitment: Kieth Dinwiddie Jr. a point guard transfer from San Diego State with three years of eligibility left. Here is the Standard article on his commitment:

https://www.standard.net/sports/weber-state/2022/may/05/weber-state-basketball-recruiting-keith-dinwiddie-transfer-commit-san-diego-state/?fbclid=IwAR19MAUubJfEI1BE8iF60-5b8lfPLCjgGjYGRrz5oFD_9nEYwK_HE514D-g :cool:

Here are some highlights of him at Fairfax HS & 2019 LA City Champs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am4D60XyApA

kcoolhand said:
One more commitment: Kieth Dinwiddie Jr. a point guard transfer from San Diego State with three years of eligibility left. Here is the Standard article on his commitment:

https://www.standard.net/sports/weber-state/2022/may/05/weber-state-basketball-recruiting-keith-dinwiddie-transfer-commit-san-diego-state/?fbclid=IwAR19MAUubJfEI1BE8iF60-5b8lfPLCjgGjYGRrz5oFD_9nEYwK_HE514D-g :cool:
He is not really a point guard. he is more of a tweener, like Segu was. He is smaller than Segu, but more athletic. He can get above the rim and put it down. It will be interesting to see how he is used. I don't think he is our answer at the point. I think that is yet to come. JJ will also be in that conversation. Eventually, I think Chris Dockery will be in that conversation. We may have to wait for it to get closer to the NBA draft to see who decides to pull out at the last minute. Things are far from over. :coffee:

oldrunner said:
kcoolhand said:

He is not really a point guard. he is more of a tweener, like Segu was. He is smaller than Segu, but more athletic. He can get above the rim and put it down. It will be interesting to see how he is used. I don't think he is our answer at the point. I think that is yet to come. JJ will also be in that conversation. Eventually, I think Chris Dockery will be in that conversation. We may have to wait for it to get closer to the NBA draft to see who decides to pull out at the last minute. Things are far from over. :coffee:

Olds……. Out of the NBA draft? C’mon man! That purple kool aid is some powerful stuff! We are about to witness the changing of the guard at Weber State.

Brick3’s said:
oldrunner said:
kcoolhand said:

Olds……. Out of the NBA draft? C’mon man! That purple kool aid is some powerful stuff! We are about to witness the changing of the guard at Weber State.
We have been in contact with players who are testing the water in the NBA draft. However, that isn't the only thing I was referring to. We are not the only school waiting on things to shake out. There are high majors waiting on most of these guys and their back up recruits are hanging on to see if they are going to have a paper put in front of them to sign. I think I've said it already, but the COVID year, the portal, and visits starting back up have slowed things a bit. Add into that the fact that a high number of potential transfers are also testing the pro waters. Players are still taking visits and offers are still being made. There is a ton of talent still available. :coffee:

I reached out to Jennifer Aniston and Halle Berry and if they can’t find someone to take them out next weekend then I’m next on the list. So there is a chance!!
I’m still hearing that if Paolo Banchero isn’t the first pick in the NBA draft that he might leave Duke for Weber and a chance to get that elusive Championship that he couldn’t get at Duke! I think Oldrunner is right! You just have to believe!

Brick3’s said:
I reached out to Jennifer Aniston and Halle Berry and if they can’t find someone to take them out next weekend then I’m next on the list. So there is a chance!!
I’m still hearing that if Paolo Banchero isn’t the first pick in the NBA draft that he might leave Duke for Weber and a chance to get that elusive Championship that he couldn’t get at Duke! I think Oldrunner is right! You just have to believe!

Don't worry Brick3's....When Olds says "they have been in contact with players who are testing the water in the NBA draft" he means an assistant coach read a twitter post.... :lol:

Four spots left? After last week I thought we would be hearing fairly quick about who would be taking the remaining spots. Really need to see the Wizard sign a couple of bigs and a PG. I hope there is a plan.

Steven seems to be a pretty good shooter but not the MVC leader, not the SIU leader, not even as high a percentage as his team shot from behind the arc....Not in 2020-2021 or 2021-2022....In 2020-2021 he shot .373 from the arc and in 2021-2022 he shot .426 for a combined percentage of .406 (113-279)....Just a little truth in advertising....Nice choice of tweets Olds....

sacstateman said:
Steven seems to be a pretty good shooter but not the MVC leader, not the SIU leader, not even as high a percentage as his team shot from behind the arc....Not in 2020-2021 or 2021-2022....In 2020-2021 he shot .373 from the arc and in 2021-2022 he shot .426 for a combined percentage of .406 (113-279)....Just a little truth in advertising....Nice choice of tweets Olds....

Always have to ask out of how many attempts? It might be beneficial to have good parts versus a superstar. Weber tried to load the team last season and didn’t mesh. The question will be how well do they play together after a short summer? Rahe has. Habit of only playing 7 all season. That’s what the cries about dead legs are all about. I was going to go after Sacstatesman and his comments about Old’s, but I have to admit that Old’s might be a little “aggressive” in his efforts to put new recruits in a favorable light, but he is “our” Olds! Tried to write something that might offer some defense, but after reading some of Old’s comments, I decided that some things are better left unsaid! Just chugged some purple drank! :notworthy:

Brick3’s said:
sacstateman said:

Always have to ask out of how many attempts? It might be beneficial to have good parts versus a superstar. Weber tried to load the team last season and didn’t mesh. The question will be how well do they play together after a short summer? Rahe has. Habit of only playing 7 all season. That’s what the cries about dead legs are all about. I was going to go after Sacstatesman and his comments about Old’s, but I have to admit that Old’s might be a little “aggressive” in his efforts to put new recruits in a favorable light, but he is “our” Olds! Tried to write something that might offer some defense, but after reading some of Old’s comments, I decided that some things are better left unsaid! Just chugged some purple drank! :notworthy:

The attempts were stated right after his combined percentage, 113 for 279....like I said, not too bad....not a volume shooter but that is probably a plus too....I was just poking Olds for digging up a tweet that implies that he led the MVC in 3 pt percentage when in reality he wasn't even close....In 20-21 he shot .373 on 102 attempts, good for 5th on his team (team shot .375), in 21-22 he shot .405 on 116 attempts, good for 2nd on his team....Looks like I screwed up on the combined percentages as I was looking at his overall percentage for 21-22 instead of his 3 pt percentage so, to correct my mistake the math comes out 85 for 218 or .389 percent....still not too bad....Personally, I think you do the player a disservice by putting unnecessary pressure on him.....You drank the purple kool-aid and I got stung in the ass.... :lol:

This is a solid pick up. Playing in MVC is better than playing in the Big Sky so Steven should be able to have better stats playing at Weber State I'm thinking with Steven and Keith both shooting guards coming in, we have moved on from Jawara, but you never know. With the 3 remaining spots I really want a high level PG like Koby last year, a solid post player and maybe a high level wing like JJ Overton last year. Coaches might just roll with Dockery at the wing though. I would not be surprised if we go after 2 big post players. I like Tew, but I'm not sold on him him either. He got his butt kicked a lot last year and he can't shoot. Get him 6 feet away from the basket and he was pretty useless, but they say the biggest improvement for college athletes is from Freshman year to Sophomore year so hopefully Alex is much better in year 2.

wazzuwildcat03 said:
This is a solid pick up. Playing in MVC is better than playing in the Big Sky so Steven should be able to have better stats playing at Weber State I'm thinking with Steven and Keith both shooting guards coming in, we have moved on from Jawara, but you never know. With the 3 remaining spots I really want a high level PG like Koby last year, a solid post player and maybe a high level wing like JJ Overton last year. Coaches might just roll with Dockery at the wing though. I would not be surprised if we go after 2 big post players. I like Tew, but I'm not sold on him him either. He got his butt kicked a lot last year and he can't shoot. Get him 6 feet away from the basket and he was pretty useless, but they say the biggest improvement for college athletes is from Freshman year to Sophomore year so hopefully Alex is much better in year 2.

Amen Wazzu! I agree. I like Steven and feel he will be a nice addition to the program. He reminds me of Scott Bamforth. He focuses on defense, is a team player (a glu-guy) and has the ability to hit a 3 off a curl. What isn't to like? No he isn't flashy and he didn't light the court on fire, but he is stable. Like Olds has stated, this spring has been different from the past two. The last two years was punctuated with a lot of flash commitments. This spring or signing class has been more methodically put together. I'm starting to see the vision. I like the direction we are headed. BUT...I agree with Wazzu, we need to focus on bigs. Weber desperately needs a big who can play in the paint. I'm hopeful that Tew can make some huge development strides this summer with a season of DI under his belt. Right now it looks like Coach is trusting in Tew's development. BUT, it would definitely not hurt signing another guy who can play in the post, like a Panos, Morris or Tresnak and then getting another big who can spread the floor on offense, grab rebounds and defend the middle (I know...every team in DI is looking for that guy). I really like the addition of the British guy Louie Jordan, but I don't see him as a traditional big. He plays more like a 3, which might not be that bad, but we desperately need guys who can rebound. I'm sure Coach is counting Louie as a big though. SO...what does that give us and what do we need??

PG: Louden Jr, KJ (I bet we see Dinwiddie as a PG)
SG: Dinwiddie, Verplanken, Dokery
WING/SF: Porter, Jordan, Koehler
PF: Dillon Jones: He is like the mailman, imagine if he was two or three inches taller...well, if he was, he wouldn't be at Weber State for starters. So maybe we shouldn't imagine this. (Koehler & Jordan both could play the 4 in Randy's new very interesting offense).
C: Tew

Right now Coach has filled 9 spots. Weber still has 4 spots left.

I think the onus is on the 5. That is the most important spot right now and like Wazzu said, after, a PG. I'm sure we are shopping for another legitimate 4 and always looking for a wing.

After the sudden retirement by Rahe, has there been any rumblings of recruits reconsidering their commitment? I'm sure there has been some second thoughts by some.

sacstateman said:
After the sudden retirement by Rahe, has there been any rumblings of recruits reconsidering their commitment? I'm sure there has been some second thoughts by some.
Not so far, but you never really know. I feel that all of our remaining coaches have good relationships with all of the returning players and new recruits. We still have spots to fill, along with an associate head coach or an assistant. Still much to do over the next few months. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. The wildcats will be an unknown commodity next fall. It could go either way. :coffee:

Latest posts

Back