• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Skattebo is Gone.

OldSchoolHornet said:
I don't get it. People want to support Troy's move to the Pac 12 and then turn around and criticize a young man for taking advantage of a similar opportunity. Have you considered that when Troy signed Skattebo there was a reasonable expectation that Troy would be here to coach him? I don't blame Troy for leaving but he absolutely opened the door for players to look around and see what new opportunities are out there for them. Instead of criticizing either of them they should be appreciated for their contributions. I'm honestly sad about their departures but I'm ELATED for both of them and wish them the best in their new endeavors.

This is a new era. Personally if they leave, whether it’s a coach or a player in the portal. They should be dead to us. No supporting them. Move on.

The department sees it the same way. DaRon Bland is having a breakout season for the Cowboys. He only left the program because we didn’t play in what would have been his senior year. He is not a Hornet covered on their Hornets in the Pros coverage, and the football program does not tweet his accomplishments. We need to do the same as fans.

If I saw Cameron. I would tell him he disappointed this fan base and a community that supported him, and that I am actively rooting for him to be a sixth string running back at ASU and play on punt coverage.

I bet Skattebo will do 2 or 3 times as well in NIL at ASU....Here he probably got enough for a couple pizzas a month, there he will be getting somewhere in the 5 figures with a shot at a lot more. Please tell me again how you would of turned down 5 figures for a couple of pizzas. You would sell out your employer now for 5 figures, be honest.

mattman_121 said:
If I saw Cameron Skattebo I would say thank you and good luck at ASU I'll be rooting for you.

:thumb: Same here. At least he’ll be playable in NCAA 24 on Xbox lol

peegeepee said:
I bet Skattebo will do 2 or 3 times as well in NIL at ASU....Here he probably got enough for a couple pizzas a month, there he will be getting somewhere in the 5 figures with a shot at a lot more. Please tell me again how you would of turned down 5 figures for a couple of pizzas. You would sell out your employer now for 5 figures, be honest.

The reality, peegeepee, is that there are different perspectives on this. For those like you that are motivated and influenced by money or prestige, it’s totally understandable how you couldn’t conceive not selling out for 5 figures.

But to people that value principals, morals, loyalty, commitment, etc., above material things — they also can’t conceive bailing on any of those things for money or prestige.

It goes both ways. And I’ve known many on both sides of the coin.

Clearly STG and myself are on the opposite of the coin than you are, which is sincerely being honest.

BuckeyeHornetFan said:
peegeepee said:

The reality, peegeepee, is that there are different perspectives on this. For those like you that are motivated and influenced by money or prestige, it’s totally understandable how you couldn’t conceive not selling out for 5 figures.

But to people that value principals, morals, loyalty, commitment, etc., above material things — they also can’t conceive bailing on any of those things for money or prestige.

It goes both ways. And I’ve known many on both sides of the coin.

Clearly STG and myself are on the opposite of the coin than you are, which is sincerely being honest.

Speaking of money and NIL - where is the $100 you owe me?

stingthemgood said:
OldSchoolHornet said:
I don't get it. People want to support Troy's move to the Pac 12 and then turn around and criticize a young man for taking advantage of a similar opportunity. Have you considered that when Troy signed Skattebo there was a reasonable expectation that Troy would be here to coach him? I don't blame Troy for leaving but he absolutely opened the door for players to look around and see what new opportunities are out there for them. Instead of criticizing either of them they should be appreciated for their contributions. I'm honestly sad about their departures but I'm ELATED for both of them and wish them the best in their new endeavors.

This is a new era. Personally if they leave, whether it’s a coach or a player in the portal. They should be dead to us. No supporting them. Move on.

The department sees it the same way. DaRon Bland is having a breakout season for the Cowboys. He only left the program because we didn’t play in what would have been his senior year. He is not a Hornet covered on their Hornets in the Pros coverage, and the football program does not tweet his accomplishments. We need to do the same as fans.

If I saw Cameron. I would tell him he disappointed this fan base and a community that supported him, and that I am actively rooting for him to be a sixth string running back at ASU and play on punt coverage.

So no one wants to comment on the DaRon Bland stuff? Just Skattebo... got it

The BuckeyeBovineDefecator wants to get on here a spout off about honor, integrity and morality but when he loses a legitimate bet that he proposed he refuses to acknowledge the bet or pay up. How's anyone supposed to take him seriously when he's THAT GUY?

Congrats to Skattebo, hope he crushes it at ASU. It was a pleasure to see him play as a Hornet and I'm glad he was able to use this platform here to move on to bigger and better things. I hope this move pans out for him in the long run. He was a significant part of 2 of our 3 BSC titles and he'll forever live in Hornet lore because of that.

Not getting all the bitching and hate on the portal considering how much we have benefitted from it during our three-peat title run. From just the past 2 years I see transfers from MSU, UND, MTSU, Nevada, Wyo, Troy, Washington, Texas, Mizzu State, SUU, dungpile, Oklahoma State, and NAU.  The portal is a net positive for our FCS program and our low mid-major programs. Campell doesn't come in and do what he is currently doing with women's hoops without it, Patrick doesn't field a competitive men's hoops team from the jump without it either. Christiansen also dipped into the portal recently that helped that program maintain a decade of 30+ win seasons in baseball. There's no doubt the other programs are using it to their advantage as well, as they should be.

Athletic departments/programs either have to adapt to the new rules or die on the vine with a "traditional" approach. I'm glad the coaches here are choosing the former to become/remain competitive and that leadership is supportive of that approach. You don't have to like or agree with the portal/NIL, you just have to accept it.

Most of our portal guys are grad students looking to extend their playing time, coming off an injury where they saw playing time diminish, HC changes where they didn't fit in the new system, didn't like the weather, wanted to be closer to home, etc.

Skat would have tremendously helped the HC change and didn't fit the criteria mentioned above. He was an integral cog that got the three rings.

I guess I am old school and like movies/stories like Rudy, Brian Piccolo and others where the love of your teammates, loyalty to your school and pride played a factor. If I wanted mercenary football, I'd still watch the NFL.

Here’s my take on this Skattebo/ Taylor issue, in the end of day, it is their decision to make, whether for money, prestige or whatever, we as fans might not like the decision because we become invested in them, their part of our team. Personally I think Skattebo is making the wrong decision because of the way we use him and how he fits with our team, he would get noticed by scouts here regardless. Going to ASU has its risks, but that’s Skattebo’s to take.

I’m hearing there is a strong possibility that Onterrio Smith will be signing with Sac St, he was mostly only being offered PWO’s from the bigger schools. Again, if we get Onterrio for only for a couple of years before he bolts, are you okay with it? I will be, because is the landscape we find ourselves in now days!

Sac_hornets said:
Here’s my take on this Skattebo/ Taylor issue, in the end of day, it is their decision to make, whether for money, prestige or whatever, we as fans might not like the decision because we become invested in them, their part of our team. Personally I think Skattebo is making the wrong decision because of the way we use him and how he fits with our team, he would get noticed by scouts here regardless. Going to ASU has its risks, but that’s Skattebo’s to take.

I’m hearing there is a strong possibility that Onterrio Smith will be signing with Sac St, he was mostly only being offered PWO’s from the bigger schools. Again, if we get Onterrio for only for a couple of years before he bolts, are you okay with it? I will be, because is the landscape we find ourselves in now days!

That would be badass, he’d play right away…

stingthemgood said:
OldSchoolHornet said:

Turns out he's not a sixth string running back at ASU. :lol:

mattman_121 said:

Nope. He’s every bit as good as I’ve always thought and why I was so happy when the Hornets landed him as a commit. It’s sucks we lost him. But he’s still the best Sac State back I’ve seen since Charles Roberts. And I think he’s actually better than Roberts. IMO He’s got a good shot at playing on Sunday’s.

Today’s performance against USC was off the charts good.

He did his best Boobie Miles impression. He threw it, caught it, ran it, even punted it for 58 yards, and painted the back porch!

https://twitter.com/PHNX_SunDevils/status/1705821696924733777

I got a taste of that at dinner last night on my way back from our church ministry conference in San Diego. I'd originally thought Skattebo was running toss throwback to the quarterback until I realized he was aligned in the Wildcat, and Danny White University was creative enough not to just do the ubiquitous Wildcat off-tackle/off-end run.

I just don't understand how we had a '40s era triple-threat back, and failed to completely take advantage of his skills while he was here. Did that stuff just not fit within Taylor's system? That's something you EXPAND the system to encompass. SMH....

mattman_121 said:
stingthemgood said:
OldSchoolHornet said:

Bingo....

peegeepee said:
mattman_121 said:
stingthemgood said:
OldSchoolHornet said:

Bingo....

I NEVER SAID HE WOULD BE -- JUST THAT IT WAS WHAT I WAS ROOTING FOR.

He played a great game on Saturday -- he's still a punk for leaving for a school that didn't have his major and giving lip service that he was staying after being in the portal when he didn't get the big offer right away, and then turning a 180 when he got the ASU offer and cutting our staff out.

stingthemgood said:
I NEVER SAID HE WOULD BE -- JUST THAT IT WAS WHAT I WAS ROOTING FOR.

He played a great game on Saturday -- he's still a punk for leaving for a school that didn't have his major and giving lip service that he was staying after being in the portal when he didn't get the big offer right away, and then turning a 180 when he got the ASU offer and cutting our staff out.

I'm with you wrt not liking his decision to leave. I can't speak about how the decision was handled because I don't know any of the details of what went on. The only thing I've heard (and can't confirm) is that he only decided to try out the portal once Troy Taylor left.

While I fully recognize that with the current rules in place he was free to do whatever he wanted. More power to him. If he's happy, cool.

That said, I just selfishly wished he had stuck to his commitment to the Hornets program -- the only program that reportedly offered him a scholarship out of HS -- and spurned every program that didn't believe in him initially, including ASU. I mean, it's easy to watch what he did at Sac State for 2 seasons then get super interested.

I get that ASU is a much larger FBS program, but today isn't like the 70's, 80's or even early 90's. Visibility is such that nobody gets missed anymore. With the Internet, broadcast networks and video available on any school any time -- these kids don't have to be at a premier program or even a P5 FBS program to make it to the next level. If you can play, they'll notice you wherever you are. So that excuse goes out the window. But so does loyalty, it seems.

Again, it's just my opinion and I recognize that the kids today think and believe differently. That's their right. But if it were me, I'd have turned a middle finger to ASU and asked them where they were in 2020 when I was hoping for more recruiting interest. To me, that late and sudden interest is akin to the "super hot" girl that wouldn't give you the time of day until the day you got famous and/or made millions of dollars. As one of my friends always says, "I ain't got time for that!". :tothehand:

While he's no longer a Hornet, I still like the kid and will root for him to succeed. I've been watching him play since 2017 and will continue doing so. He's an exciting player to watch. Like Daron Bland and Elijah Dotson before him, while he may not have the Sac State program attached to his name anymore, he still spent 3 years at the school. Nothing changes that.

Latest posts

Back