• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Soccer Countdown 2 - Eves

soccerfanatic

Given that the first response I received was regarding Maren Eves, I thought I would post her profile next. By the way, Tim Flagstead did an interview of Coach Gibson last week in which the coach commented quite a bit on the goalkeeper situation. It sounds to me like Maren does not have the postion sewed up, but it is wide open. She seems to be putting her money on either Eves or Harrison. But read it yourself and see what you think. His blog post can be found at:

http://www.pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/sports/?p=4170

Meanwhile, here is my take on Maren Eves:

Maren Eves

Over the ten weeks of last season, Maren Eves earned Defensive Player of the Week honors once and was an honorable mention on six of the other nine weeks. Maren was a key player on a defense that was arguably the best in the conference. This defense only gave up three goals through seven conference games and only gave up 15 goals on the season. Eves blew away Chrissy Nelson and Shannon Boyle’s old records of 0.93 Goal Against Average per Game, with an astounding 0.78 GAA. She also posted six shutouts during the year.

Eves has a fascinating style all of her own. She plays farther up the field than almost any keeper I have ever watched; including MLS, College, Premier, Club and High School. You might think she would run the risk of an opposing player lofting a long shot from midfield to take advantage of this position. But through 18 games last season, I only witnessed one goal that could be blamed on Maren being too far out of position. In contrast, I saw a huge number of occasions where Maren stopped an offensive run by being right on top of anything crossing the midfield.

A true measure of a keeper’s talent is not just the number of saves. A save is merely the keeper stopping a shot that was on frame, and does not take into account the difficulty of the shot. There are two ways to assess goalie talent. The first is the ability the player has to select the best position on the field to hinder the opponent's shot. The second is the number of saves made that require spectacular effort. Eves has consistently shown her ability in both areas.

Although Eves was the starting keeper last season and did a tremendous job in the position, she will be pushed by the fact that there are now four goalies vying for the position of keeper. Still, Maren is a proven commodity and should have the inside track at keeping the job, particularly if she continues to play at the same level she demonstrated last year.

Latest posts

Back