• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Soccer Report from Colorado College

soccerfanatic

As calculated, the Colorado College game was a tough contest. Because CC competes mostly in Division II sports and only has about 3,000 students, most people do not expect them to be much of a challenge. However, they are by far the best soccer program in the state of Colorado - ahead of Colorado, Colorado State, Northern Colorado, and their closest challenger: Denver.

CC ended up with a Division I soccer team due to Title IX. In the late 1970s, CC had a top Division I Hockey team. The rest of their sports were DII. To keep their hockey program they had to add a women's sport and soccer was chosen. They went all out to make soccer as quality a program as their hockey team was. In fact, in the late 1980s, CC advanced to the final four in Division I soccer in three out of four years, only to get knocked out of the tournament all three times by the eventual champion: North Carolina.

Over the past 20 years, the team has consistently been in the top 10-15 teams in a tough central division that includes all of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Kansas, and others. CC is already 3-0 on the year and beat the University of Oklahoma much more soundly than they handled ISU. Further, they are playing at a much higher altitude than Pocatello. Air Force is at about 7,000 feet, and CC is at about 6,000. (In fact, CC fans were amazed at the endurance of the ISU players... something they are not used to seeing.) So, running up against CC is kind of like a patsy being taken by a pool shark.

Frankly, I thought ISU rose well to the challenge. Remember, ISU is playing without both Maren Eves (one of the top keepers in the conference) and Jana Davis-Boehler (their top scorer.) The team frequently is fielding 5-6 freshmen at a time. This team has very little experience playing together and will only get better as the season goes on.

Right now, ISU has the best record in the conference, and they are not playing the South Dakota and North Dakota teams that some of their competitors are taking on. Our biggest weakness continues to be offense: for two years in a row now. We are lucky to come back from Colorado splitting games after only taking 15 shots over two games. Last year, we had a couple games with over 30 shots taken and we were having a tough time scoring. Unless we can figure out how to take a few more shots, we will have trouble winning much this year.

Despite the fact that Benecia Brogan and Crosby Joyner scored the two goals over the weekend, I would give the offensive player award to AnnaMarie Hofstetter who took 5 of our 15 shots and had a couple of near misses that almost made a huge difference. She did a great job of helping control the midfield. I would give the defensive player of the weekend to Karissa Henage. She made some unbelievable saves in the Colorado College game that could have otherwise put the team in a very deep hole. The players are starting to put some nice combinations together, and I believe they will be real contenders for a conference championship this year.

We hope to see Idaho State win the Governor's Cup for the third year in a row this weekend. Then they get to face a tough BYU team on the road before they finally get to come back to Pocatello for their first home game in nearly a month.

Keep it up, Bengals.

http://cctigers.com/news/2008/8/31/WSOC_0831082837.aspx?path=WSOC

This was in the sports blog and speaks well of the team, but reading the coaches comments about game play etc. it didnt sound great. I heard the team looked gassed. I also heard some of the players are ill and some are playing injured. So if thats true they did well. Its tough for anyone to play at those altitudes if your not used to it. Boise state is going to be a handful and Idaho appears to be having trouble, so Iam calling for a split this weekend.

I don't believe we will split. We should win the Idaho game easily, but I agree that BSU will be a challenge. I still have to favor ISU in that game and I believe we will come back from the tournament with a 4-1 record (3-1-1 at the worst.) Soccerratings.com predicts the out come of the match with ISU having a 45% of winning and Boise having a 38% chance of winning, with a 17% chance of a tie. (In comparison, the same prediction service states that ISU has an 88% chance of wining against Idaho and only a 7% chance of losing.) We'll see how the computerized prdictions do this weekend.

Picked this up from Big Sky report
Idaho State a surprise

and the freshmen keepers have the GA% lead

GOALS ALLOWED GOALS AGAINST AVERAGE
## Team GP No. Avg/G ## Team GP GA Minutes Avg.
--------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
1.Sacramento State.... 2 3 1.50 1.Idaho State......... 3 3 289:44 0.93
2.Idaho State......... 3 3 1.00 2.Northern Colorado... 4 5 380:30 1.18
3.Weber State......... 3 4 1.33 3.Weber State......... 3 4 290:00 1.24
4.Northern Colorado.. . 4 5 1.25 4.Sacramento State.... 2 3 200:00 1.35
5.Montana............. 3 6 2.00 5.Northern Arizona.... 4 7 380:00 1.66
6.Eastern Washington.. 3 7 2.33 6.Montana............. 3 6 270:00 2.00
Northern Arizona... . 4 7 1.75 7.Eastern Washington.. 3 7 290:00 2.17
8.Portland State...... 4 12 3.00 8.Portland State...... 4 12 360:00 3.00

This is attributable as well to a stout defense which will have to pickup against Boise state but with Miller, Henage and a Hough and Harrison in better medical shape this should help see them through.
On the offensive side it appears statistically they need to get it together but offensive is harder to get together than defense. Fanatic great web site on math and soccer predicitions -with that why play the game?

Couldnt help myself - cool tool based on mathematical regression as a predictive tool
using the tool from www.soccerratings.com here is what the womens soccer season looks like. where were the coaches when they did the poll. IT has the team loosing badly to BYU and USD understandable do to the perennial strenght of those programs. Surprisingly it has ISU sweeping the big sky. For your viewing pleasure :lol:

Hm Away
Idaho State Utah State W
Airforce Idaho State W
Colorado College Idaho State L
Boise State Idaho State W
Idaho Idaho State W
Brigham Young Idaho State L 88%
Idaho State UC Davis W
Idaho State Wyoming W
Pepperdine Idaho State L
San Diego Idaho State L 93%
Idaho State Gonzaga L
Idaho State Eastern Washington W
Idaho State Sacramento State W
Idaho State Portland State W
Montana Idaho State W
Northern Arizona Idaho State W
Northern Colorado Idaho State W
Weber State Idaho State W
Non Conf 7-5 Conf 7-0
by soccerratings.com

Thanks ISUNorth... that was fun to look at. I think we still have a lot of room to improve, but we are getting better every game. This should be an ISU year. These games this weekend will tell a lot about the character and potential of the team. Only three hours to kickoff... I am sitting in a hotel in Moscow waiting for the game to start.

By the way... I watched Northern Colorado at Utah Valley yesterday. We meet UVU next week and No Colo later in conference play. ISU should handle both teams easily. Our talent is much deeper than either opponent.

One potential sleeper in the conference is Portland State. They are 0-4, but have played the roughest possible schedule... including the #1 and #2 teams in the country. They only lost to last year's NCAA champions (USC) 2-0, and lost two other games against quality opponents by one goal. The only blowout was against #1 UCLA (7-0). I think PSU, not Sac State, will be the team to beat in the Big Sky.

Sorry but I think the understanding of current soccer and Rosters is better than a Computer system.
Boise state will continue to attrack atheletes from California and throughtout the country based on the success of their football team. The game winner tonite was from a California player from a top squad.
We should do well against Idaho, UVU and wyoming but there is some tough sleding ahead and this young squad will have difficulties before league. It will be up to the coaching staff to nurse this team over some really rough spots coming up vs BYU,Pepperdine, USD and maybe UCDavis. I also agree that the crazy schedule of PSu may work to their favor

Hey dude check again you have 6, Hough, Ball. Harrison, Powell, Miller, Munro
The point again is that becasue of their strong Football team they are attracting strong athletes in other sports and will continue to do so until such time that changes. They will also attract alot out of state non sports students cause BSU is cool - I have and continue to see it when I talk to my colleagues in CAl and the west coast

Latest posts

Back