• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

The State of Sac's bball program

weberwildcat

As a fan from another Big Sky school I have some questions.

I realize some of you are wanting a new coach but who can turn the program around? What can Sac St as a university do to turn things around?

I think one of the main things necessary to make this change would be facilities improvements. Is it possible for the Hornets to get a new arena to play in? Has this been discussed? I realize their are many DI bball schools with smaller arenas in California so it might be hard to get funding but something needs to be done!

With a new facility it would make recruiting a little easier and it would help to get more fans in the seats. Sac State is a huge school 25,000+ students and the stadium holds less than 2,000. Also something needs to be done to get more student involvement. Student involvement is an issue at many of the 'Sky schools.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these questions?

Weber, we are in the planning process to build an 8,000 seat on-campus arena. However, with the budget situation in California, plus with the mandate that the state will not build any athletic facilities, the funds must be raised either through student fees, athletic revenue, corporate support and/or private donors. The students passed a fee a few years ago that will help in funding the arena, however, the timeline at the earliest we are looking at is 2012.

You are preaching to the choir about the state of our home basketball facility. Also I agree with you with student involvement at hoops games in this conference. If league would do more to get a national network (not Altitude, but FSN, Comcast Sportsnet, ESPN) to develop a contract, then you might see more student support.

I feel what you are saying.

Ya, I don't even have the Altitude...yet I have all the others u mentioned as well as the Big 10 channel...I have know idea y that one is in my tv package.

I think student involvement is the most important thing, more than anything, the students well the team win. Having a home court advantage aka fans makes a big difference. It's the only reason WSU beat Utah State this year! Weber always gets a good crowd for the in-state games and when they are at home we win and on the road we always lose. It's all about the fans!

http://www.wsubball.com/history

All-Time Records vs In-State Schools
Team WSU vs Opponent; In Ogden
Brigham Young 10-23 ; 10-6
Southern Utah 18-6 ; 14-2
Utah State 25-34 ; 15-13
Utah 12-24 ; 9-8
Utah Valley State 2-2 ; 2-0

Until the new 8K seat arena is built we will always be horrible. The current Nest only seats 1,200 and that is not enough to fund a DI program. Would be nice to drop both mens and womens bball and use the money on football or baseball (won't happen though).

Green Cookie Monster said:
Until the new 8K seat arena is built we will always be horrible. The current Nest only seats 1,200 and that is not enough to fund a DI program. Would be nice to drop both mens and womens bball and use the money on football or baseball (won't happen though).

I think if you were able to drop men's/wom's basketball Sac couldn't be in the Big Sky anymore...

As far as I'm concerned whether Jenkins is a good coach or not he is coaching with both hands tied behind his back...

weberwildcat said:
Green Cookie Monster said:

I think if you were able to drop men's/wom's basketball Sac couldn't be in the Big Sky anymore...

As far as I'm concerned whether Jenkins is a good coach or not he is coaching with both hands tied behind his back...

That would be correct. Besides, I can't think of any school that's D-I that does not have basketball. We are not going to ever drop basketball.

First unless we drop the whole athletic program we will never drop basketball. Basketball takes far less rescources to acheive success than any other major sport. Back in the division 2 days the thought was that basketball could lead the program into division 1. Since that point we have hired one coach Bill Brown, a good recruiter and coach that turned out to have a drug problem and self destructed in his second season. We then turned the program over to Brown's assistant Joey Anders, with no head coaching experience but did well until Brown's recruits ran out. We then turned the program over to Don Newman who was allowed to make excuses for 7? years and completely ran the program into the ground. Then came Tom Abatamarco who appeared to be making some slow progress in cleaning up the mess before resigning under pressure. And then came the Jerome Jenkins, again with no head coaching experience. The Sac State basketball program is in this situation because we have not demanded better. Our expectations have been far too low, we have been far too patient. I for one am tired of hearing that the only thing we need is to have a better team is a better place to play.
To be sure a new arena will help some in recruiting but that is not the major issue. The team has not perfomed well for a long time either on the court or in the classroom, and that is a coaching issue. Even though Hornet Gym only seats 1200 or whatever they can't even fill that with the type of product they are putting on the floor. I hope that at the end of this season the school will finally make a commitment to find a real coach that we can build a respectable program with. Sac State has made some good hires lately, lets hope that this will be the next.

This team is really BAD!! The only thing that gives me peace of mind is knowing Jenkins will be gone - I'm tired of the selfish, street ball his teams always play.

He needs to GO!!

Win Raises Question: Are Hornets The Worst Ever?
Posted by Ian Ruder January 04, 2008 10:12AM
Categories: Basketball
Watching an over-matched Sacramento State team flail to an 83-58 loss to Portland State last night, I found it more difficult to focus on the positives for the Vikings than the season of woe that looms for Hornets followers.

After their all-around abysmal performance, the only debate in the media room was whether they are the worst Big Sky team to play at the Stott Center since PSU joined the conference.

They will likely eke out a win somewhere in conference play, but its not hard to see coach Jerome Jenkins' squad losing out the rest of the year.

They are that bad

http://blog.oregonlive.com/portlandstatevikings/2008/01/win_raises_question_are_hornet.html

A PSU fan at the game had this to say. I can't believe that a Hornet coach has sunk this low.

martymoose said:
Jenkins is a terrible coach. He pretty much just sat on the bench for the last twelve minutes of the game last night with the body english that he'd given up after being fairly animated in the first half of the game. Don't quit on your kids coach. If I were Sac State, I would not renew that guy's contract.

Regardless of one's feelings about the man, does anyone ever remember seeing John Volek do that? I didn't think so. If he's on the ROAD program (Navy slang for Retired on Active Duty, referring to old timers who are just bumps on a log), it's time to dump him.

I don't think Ian is an idiot. If you regularly read his football and basketball stuff he displays analytical competance and writes well. And, I believe men's bball is that bad.

I have watched Jenkins long enough to have ZERO confidence in his ability to coach Xs and Os. He constantly gets out coached in games. Yes, he can recruit and does pull in athletes that unfortunately does not translate into fundamental and smart basketball teams. Jenkins longetivity stems from the program having nowhere to go but up and he comes cheap. I also seriously take issue with players not graduating and hurting the team because of being academicly ineligible. CSUS may be a third tier university but that does not mean the university can't demand its athletes graduate. If anything, there is no excuse not to graduate from Sac State. I hope to bid him a respectful thank you for his services and then a farewell in March. And don't blame the lack of facilities. Braswell at CSUN and Burton at CSUF have had considerable success with gyms equally dismal.

Since Jenkins got here, by the end of the Spring 2008, 18 players will have graduated, which is about 10 more than the previous 12 years prior to his arrival. Say what you want about everything else, he has gotten guys to graduate. Yes our APR is hurting, but I do know the Paul Edwards and his staff have been working very hard raising our scores across the board, including men's hoops (not withstanding Groce and Alamo who Jenkins admitted that he should have never recruited those guys now).

Athletes are graduating from Men's Basketball, which couldn't be said during the Newman and Abatemarco years.

Should Paul Edwards or Jenkins get the credit? I am curious too, how many players have signed and played under jenkins who did not graduate? where do you get that information?

The latest info was on the latest game notes that the Media Relations office put out. I think all but Rene Jacques, Cedric Thompkins and Tony Champion were recruited by Jenkins.

The next seven to graduate this semester are: Rod Adams, Jason Davis, Curtis Harrison, Justin Williams, Clark Woods, Chris Lange and James Payne.

Latest posts

Back