• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Thoughts on the 2023 Season

What do you think about 2-4 Eastern Washington?

• Everything is fine, EWU is a playoff contender

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • EWU will be fine Best can recruit/bounce back

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Best just needs more time to get going

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I have no faith in the Head Coach

Votes: 16 53.3%

• Total voters
ewueagle2010 said:
IIf we're interested in running clock when leading, by running the ball - why are we snapping the ball with 15 seconds on the play clock?

This was completely mind-blowing. That loss was completely on the coaches for not managing the game correctly.

KJEagle said:
Eagle Talon said:
luckyintheorder said:
ewueagle2010 said:
I like Best. Truly, a good guy with a great family and his dedication to this program is top notch.

That said, he's not a head coach. He's stubborn, refuses to change things up, has negative influence over the play calling and is clearly not taking the program in the right direction. He seems to be able to recruit - but in game decisions are atrocious.

How many years are we going to have to see special teams cost us games? If we're interested in running clock when leading, by running the ball - why are we snapping the ball with 15 seconds on the play clock? It's been 7 years now.

In those 7 years, playoffs 3 times (once was weird spring season) no playoffs for likely 4 years.
No appearances past the second round (excluding Natty runner up season in his second year)
Headed for second straight losing season (which hasn't happened in over 20 years.

Agreed. Most already know my thoughts on Aaron. Held out some hope he'd make a seed change with a new, aggressive AD to his ongoing personality deficits. Any changes have been superficial IMO. The record of coaching turnover says everything to me for the past several years. I just want him gone. Would prefer Wulff over Baldwin if Eastern went with a retread but doubt either would be interested. Time to find a MVC OC or DC that can coach football and surround them with good assistants, not one year wonders. Season isn't over I suppose, but not expecting any rebound after last week's debacle against a mediocre Weber team.

Don't disagree about a MVFC OC or DC but wondering if they'd be able to recruit the PNW effectively.

Is there something peculiar or different about recruiting in Washington and Oregon?

No, but the current coaching staff has several pipelines in the PNW. If they do end up going with someone different at HC, they're going to have to retain several of the Assistants or bring in folks with ties to the area. Personally I would prefer someone who already has strong ties to Washington HS football. Maybe McElwain is available?

A coach with strong ties to the area is a prerequisitie for any potential future head coach. But, for now this is all a moot point since Best has another season left on his contract. And I'm not convinced we can lure someone better, anyway.

I am a long-time reader of this forum but have never posted before. I wanted to share my perspective on why I believe that Best should remain as our head coach.
First off, it's important to recognize Best's commitment and dedication to our program. He's a role model for our players and a figurehead for our community. His character and the values he instills in our team are invaluable, and they contribute to the positive culture within our program. While it's true that Best has faced challenges in terms of in-game decisions and play calling, we should remember that coaching is a complex job, and no coach is infallible. Many successful head coaches have faced setbacks and criticisms along the way. What's essential is the ability to learn and adapt, and Best has demonstrated growth and the willingness to make adjustments...including bringing in several players off of the portal this season.

Best has led our team to the playoffs three times, including a National Championship runner-up .That level of success is something the program can build upon, and with continued support and potential adjustments, there's a chance this could be a great team next season. I think that stability in coaching can be beneficial for the development of a team. Frequent coaching changes can disrupt the continuity of a program, whereas retaining Best provides our players with a familiar system and leadership they can rely on.

Nobody's saying he's not a great guy and even a great position coach. But I think we've seen enough of this to know that a change needs to be made.

Tacoma_Eagle said:
I am a long-time reader of this forum but have never posted before. I wanted to share my perspective on why I believe that Best should remain as our head coach.
First off, it's important to recognize Best's commitment and dedication to our program. He's a role model for our players and a figurehead for our community. His character and the values he instills in our team are invaluable, and they contribute to the positive culture within our program. While it's true that Best has faced challenges in terms of in-game decisions and play calling, we should remember that coaching is a complex job, and no coach is infallible. Many successful head coaches have faced setbacks and criticisms along the way. What's essential is the ability to learn and adapt, and Best has demonstrated growth and the willingness to make adjustments...including bringing in several players off of the portal this season.

Best has led our team to the playoffs three times, including a National Championship runner-up .That level of success is something the program can build upon, and with continued support and potential adjustments, there's a chance this could be a great team next season. I think that stability in coaching can be beneficial for the development of a team. Frequent coaching changes can disrupt the continuity of a program, whereas retaining Best provides our players with a familiar system and leadership they can rely on.

I'm in the same boat. I don't think Best should be fired. But he needs to account for how to improve the defense. We gave up over 400 yard on the ground today, and these enormous flaws are the same every year. If he doesn't have a plan for new defensive coaches and bringing in better, tougher players, then it's on him. He runs the team, and allowing this dogshit defense to go another year is an exercise in futility. The coaches and players we have can't win games on that side of the ball.

My guess is that the people looking for a bounce back know Best personally. It's hard to think about letting go of Best, because he has been an integral part of the EWU culture for so long. He has contributed so much to our program.

That said, Best is steering us toward the downfall of our program. We have passed the window for facilities improvement, and what we have left is that of a winning culture.... for now. That is fading. Best is a phenomenal offensive line coach. Head coach does not seem to be the thing for him, at least not here.

The talent pool of Washington State is so deep. Our team is filled with enough talent to go toe to toe with everybody. The leadership and development is not there. It's time to move on.

I couldn’t disagree more. This team is not stacked with talent. Our defense has a lot of guys on the field that have no business being there. Even though we’ve had some bad defenses in the last 15 years, we’ve always had at least a couple of big ballers we could rely on. Can you name one now? Matt Brown is decent, the rest of the guys would struggle to see the field at any top Big Sky program.

The coaching on defense is bad, but it’s hard to win with the players we’re playing.

LDopaPDX said:
I couldn’t disagree more. This team is not stacked with talent. Our defense has a lot of guys on the field that have no business being there. Even though we’ve had some bad defenses in the last 15 years, we’ve always had at least a couple of big ballers we could rely on. Can you name one now? Matt Brown is decent, the rest of the guys would struggle to see the field at any top Big Sky program.

The coaching on defense is bad, but it’s hard to win with the players we’re playing.

I hear what youre saying. I think we are viewing the term talent differently.

You are evaluating their output on the field. I would argue that is an evaluation of skill, not talent. I would say that is the mark of talent that with poor development.

In summary, it is of my opinion that we have talented kids with poor skills due to poor coaching.
There are tons of kids on that defense that were absolute dogs in high school. They were talented and we were blessed to land those kids.

Marlon Jones Jr. comes to my mind as a talented back that was poorly developed. Isaiah Perez as well.

Savages said:
Maybe McElwain is available?
Take a look @ # 80. that is why Jim is not available. More importantly look Assistant Coaches then the column of asst coaches total pay.
https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach?ref=2stripescpd.com
Go a step further and look at possible former Eagles. Jeff Schmedding made 1,000,000. @ auburn. He is now DC @ Washington State.
Or how about Jr Adams, the BEST receiver coach we have ever had, he only makes 600k @ Oregon in 2022.
The good news is we now have a University President who appreciates and sees the value in athletics. We now have an AD who is focused on getting EWU back to its former glory.

The GoEag website has game summaries videos and "moments" at the bottom of the football page.. nice touch to improve visibility of the program.

https://goeags.com/sports/football

Best still needs to go. Those that think "continuity" matters when the system is failing are on a sinking ship. Just a reminder, since Best has taken over there has been at least 2 (closer to three) complete staff changeovers where they left for lesser or lateral roles, not better ones. Oversaw several years of disastrous special teams, has had more players leave the program than Colorado under Sanders and shown NO improvement in defense (see note on special teams). Don't get me started on under utilizing superior underclassmen talent.

See it anyway you want but the rats leaving a sinking ship moment happened two years ago when the OC split mid season and the replacement took the top QB commit and fled to Fresno, then the DC left, they "fired" a couple of other coaches and several of the best players moved on to other crappy programs. The program is past emotional pleas for stability as there hasn't been any.

List any candidates you've got an eye on. I've liked this guy since he was HC at Kansas Wesleyn a few years back. Now co-offensive coordinator at Army since Eastern missed on a guy like Cody Hawkins (now ISU HC)

https://goarmywestpoint.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/matt-drinkall/1755

The only way I see Best being retained is he,

1) Fixes the defense, which probably starts with firing the DC and the coach of any other under performing position group. 2022 EWU was 2nd to last in the FCS in total defense. As of today, EWU is 112th out of 122. 118th in rushing defense. I thought the transfers they brought in turned things around but it seems like the Idaho game broke the defense or something. I thought Best would address the defense since he isn't some offensive guru like Baldwin but it has been all down hill since Schmedding left. The DC should honestly be fired like tomorrow if we have someone else competent enough to call plays.

2) Abandon this notion the offense needs to be balanced. Just do whatever wins games whether its passing or running the ball. He has been at this since he was hired as head coach results have been mixed to say the least. EWU can't really give up what won games, which is throwing the ball and scoring quickly, especially when the defense is incapable of stopping the other team from scoring.

3) Pay attention to the details. Players need to know how to tackle. Players don't actually wrap up. They just throw arm tackles or body tackles and the player just bounces off them or avoids them and keeps running. Can't overlook special teams and needs kickers that can actually kick FGs and punt. Unnecessary penalties. The unsportsmanlike in the Idaho game that turned 4th and long into a 1st down for Idaho was absolutely mindblowing. Best should have had that kid running wind sprints till he throws up. HIs precious oline is the source of like half the penalties.

If he can do this and show significant improvements and EWU has a winning season and maybe gets a playoff spot he should get a season or two extension. I honestly don't see this happening though. But he's a great guy though, has been around forever, has done a ton for EWU and the football program but some of this shit has been unacceptable. And the only real success he has had has been off of Baldwin's guys, both coaches and players.

eaglesfootball said:
Best must go. THERE ARE NO EXCUSES FOR HOW FAR THIS PROGRAM HAS SUNK IN TWO SEASONS.

May as well reserve this discussion for next year because he’s not going anywhere until then if he goes anywhere at all.

Eaglefanatical said:
eaglesfootball said:
Best must go. THERE ARE NO EXCUSES FOR HOW FAR THIS PROGRAM HAS SUNK IN TWO SEASONS.

May as well reserve this discussion for next year because he’s not going anywhere until then if he goes anywhere at all.

Zero chance his contract gets renewed with another losing season.

ewueagfan said:
Eaglefanatical said:
eaglesfootball said:

Zero chance his contract gets renewed with another losing season.

Which will happen cause he is just a bad head coach. Luckily the one thing he is good at is recruiting so whoever takes over can his the ground running assuming not too many people transfer out.

Eaglefanatical said:
eaglesfootball said:

Its really cost/benefit analysis. Will another losing season cost EWU more/less then what Best's buyout is? Putting a losing product on the field may cause boosters to not donate as much, people to not buy as many tickets, tailgate spots, companies won't want to give money. Missing out on income from post season games.

There is harm to the program. How many players will transfer out? How many commits will we lose? It will be Chism's last year, he might be gone, Nolan Ulm god knows who else. The more the program downs the drain the harder it is to get out.

Yea, the President and AD have a big decision to make.

Im surprised nobody has brought up QB play these last two seasons, that’s what I believe the issue is. Like the announcers said today during the game “Eastern has had elite QBs for 20 years”.

Erik Meyer - Payton winner
Bo Levi Mitchell - National Championship & MVP
Big Play VA
EBIII - Payton winner

Eastern has had about 10 seasons of elite QB play, now we’ve got Gunner Talkington and Kekoa. It doesn’t matter how good the offensive players are if the QB can’t throw the ball efficiently. These last two guys have no athleticism either, no heart, no talent and no arm strength. I don’t know where the heck these guys came from, until Eastern gets another badass under center we’re gonna be looking at more of what we saw today in Bozeman.

HeavyIsTheCrown said:
Im surprised nobody has brought up QB play these last two seasons, that’s what I believe the issue is. Like the announcers said today during the game “Eastern has had elite QBs for 20 years”.

Erik Meyer - Payton winner
Bo Levi Mitchell - National Championship & MVP
Big Play VA
EBIII - Payton winner

Eastern has had about 10 seasons of elite QB play, now we’ve got Gunner Talkington and Kekoa. It doesn’t matter how good the offensive players are if the QB can’t throw the ball efficiently. These last two guys have no athleticism either, no heart, no talent and no arm strength. I don’t know where the heck these guys came from, until Eastern gets another badass under center we’re gonna be looking at more of what we saw today in Bozeman.

Well no one brought it up because its not really an issue. Talkington sucked yes but Kekoa is actually pretty good. He is leading passer in the Big Sky and he was out for a game. https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/individual/453 He is being hampered by shitty play calling. Best has like a stupid dedication to being balanced and the run game. Play calling consists of runs up the middle for 2-3 yards if we're lucky and screen passes to the outside that get tackled immediately. Shit Eastern had to be down 4-5 TDs for them to take shots down the field and huge surprise, it actually worked because Eastern actually has talented receivers. If we had a Baldwin type calling plays, Visperas would easily be top 3 passer in FCS. Montana State didn't score 57 points cause of a bad QB.

Latest posts

Back