• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Transfer portal

clawman1

We have 4 juniors, Coward, Jones, Erikstrup, and Price and 2 freshman Watt and Hartman who could look to the portal. With these guys the Eagles look pretty strong next season. This year Riley and staff did a good job replacing lost players, can they do it again?

On the post game report when Larry Weir was wrapping it up brought up just this point. Mentioned who might be targets regarding transfer portal or just transferring. Coward was brought up then the others. Then he mentioned NIL monies to pay for players. I don't get exactly how NIL monies work other that the ability to pay players. Don't know if these big money schools acquire NIL money and have some "pot-of-gold" they can spread around to their players. And also are able to entice players with a scholarship and some additional coin to transfer. Wonder if it goes for all sports within men's and women's sports or what. I know Nick Saban is talking about it now that he's retired and doesn't like it and listed that as one of the reasons he stepped out.
*clawman to answer you question if Riley stays we may lose a couple and bet he's expecting that and already on the trail of replacements. Hope he stays.

3c521cfb-5e40-49bc-bd21-19127d0bd63c_text.gif

On the post game report when Larry Weir was wrapping it up brought up just this point. Mentioned who might be targets regarding transfer portal or just transferring. Coward was brought up then the others. Then he mentioned NIL monies to pay for players. I don't get exactly how NIL monies work other that the ability to pay players. Don't know if these big money schools acquire NIL money and have some "pot-of-gold" they can spread around to their players. And also are able to entice players with a scholarship and some additional coin to transfer. Wonder if it goes for all sports within men's and women's sports or what. I know Nick Saban is talking about it now that he's retired and doesn't like it and listed that as one of the reasons he stepped out.
*clawman to answer you question if Riley stays we may lose a couple and bet he's expecting that and already on the trail of replacements. Hope he stays.

3c521cfb-5e40-49bc-bd21-19127d0bd63c_text.gif
I'd think that we'd lose more folks if he left.

We have 4 juniors, Coward, Jones, Erikstrup, and Price and 2 freshman Watt and Hartman who could look to the portal. With these guys the Eagles look pretty strong next season. This year Riley and staff did a good job replacing lost players, can they do it again?
Are these dudes actually in the portal now? Or just that they'd be desirable by other schools? No doubt, all of these guys have value. But are they gonna make enough money to completely disrupt their education? At some point, you have to figure a degree is worth $100k or more. Going off track for a few thousand is counterproductive. Now, if you're gonna get $1mm, sure you gotta consider it. Very few guys are carving out that kind of dough, though.

Are these dudes actually in the portal now? Or just that they'd be desirable by other schools? No doubt, all of these guys have value. But are they gonna make enough money to completely disrupt their education? At some point, you have to figure a degree is worth $100k or more. Going off track for a few thousand is counterproductive. Now, if you're gonna get $1mm, sure you gotta consider it. Very few guys are carving out that kind of dough, though.
Lets use Steele Venters as as example. If he never shoots another basketball and no NIL money but gets a degree from Gonzaga vs Eastern, what is that worth??

I believe I saw Steele in the locker room jumping up and down after the Kansas win. Plus the degree part and perhaps with next year a masters equals:

fc23517e-7554-4b72-b2d2-26bf07b719a1_text.gif

I have not heard of anyone in the portal as of now. That doesn't mean it can't/won't happen with a few guys but this is all speculative discussion.

I wonder if a player doesn't enter the portal can they still transfer after the portal date or even before? Assume a player can transfer to a different school pretty much anytime he/she wants but not sure on details as far as playing is concerned though.

If the rumors are true, Riley’s gone to WSU. You’d have to think he might take some players with him. Biggest question is who do we hire to replace him? Who’d even be on the short list?

I’m hearing the same. Anyone think we’ll hire internally or does he most likely take his staff with him to WSU?

Sounds like WSU offered Logie from MSU this afternoon, no official word, but we will see

Thats good news for us...
We're not out of the clear yet. It looks like Logie is 'mulling over the offer." Apparently MSU is putting up big money to try to extend him.

Must be nice.

We're not out of the clear yet. It looks like Logie is 'mulling over the offer." Apparently MSU is putting up big money to try to extend him.

Must be nice.
Sheesh...sounds like he turned down WAZZU for MSU. Good for him, but not ideal for us, my guess is Riley is their next target.

Saw the Seattle times article as well. Wonder besides perhaps better contract extension that WSU no longer Pac 12 lost some luster(and all their studs portaled)?

I'm hearing unofficial reports that RIley has agreed to terms with WSU. It sucks; wish they would have hired the MSU guy. Anyone have any idea who might be in the running for the EWU job? And, i wonder how many of our guys portal out now.

Latest posts

Back