• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Viking Pavilion

forestgreen

Staff member
Portland State's new arena project gaining momentum

http://www.csnnw.com/blog/dwight/portland-states-new-arena-project-gaining-momentum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've had plenty of frustration over the years with the Portland State athletic department. And as an alumnus and former coach there (yeah, I was actually fortunate enough to serve as an assistant baseball coach for three years at PSU -- long before they dropped the sport. But that's another story) I think I'm entitled.

One of my biggest complaints was a lack of vision and a minor-league mentality that fits perfectly with the city in which the university is located. For the state's biggest university, it acts sometimes as if it's Podunk U. But I think that's changing. And the project to make Viking Pavilion a reality is a sign of big change afoot on the PSU campus.

The $54 million, 5,500-seat arena project is quietly underway and gaining steam. The goal of $30 million in private donations to make the arena a reality is looking reachable, thanks to the tireless work of campaign chair Peter Stott, the man whose name is on the current basketball venue, the Stott Center.

"The architectural design of the building highlights transparency and accessibility," said Francoise Aylmer, PSU's vice president for university advancement. "And I am proud that as a leading urban university we are able to secure seven- and eight-figure gifts."

The university is asking for $24 million in state bonds for the remainder of the funding.

"If the legislature votes to fund the project during the current session, and we raise the necessary private support, the project could be completed by late 2015," Stott said.

The new arena, which at least in all the renderings I've seen is a beautiful structure, would be plopped down on top of the current Stott Center and a good portion of the expansive concourse would be dedicated to academic pursuits such as study centers, along with academic and business innovation labs. The plan is for more than 140 public events a year, with the school finally having a big enough gathering place for its students and alumni for major events.

"PSU has the least square footage per student of our seven state universities," Stott said. "The Viking Pavilion will become a central gathering place for students to work collaboratively using the 22,000 new square feet of study space and the new 14,000-square foot academic center. It is located next to, and will become an annex of, our currently over-populated library."

On the athletics side, it's always been a frustration of mine that the school has been trying to play Division I basketball in an arena that allowed barely a thousand spectators. Which isn't often full, by the way. That needs to change in a big way and the new arena is a large first step that must be followed with a bigger commitments to excellence and funding.

I wish them luck in making their dream a reality. So often athletics provides the impetus for other university growth -- in enrollment, overall gifts and a higher profile for the university. Portland State needs, and deserves, the shot in the arm Viking Pavilion would bring.

Youtube Video of Viking Pavillion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUsBYRmtMN0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I heartily agree; the Pavillion will be an enormous boost for PSU's image. I pray that the donors will come through. And by the way, Forest, I'm ashamed to say baseball at PSU doesn't ring a bell. Gordon Dodds' history of PSU doesn't mention it that I can see. Was it before '65, when I started teaching here? How about giving us a paragraph or two here on its history?

pdxfan said:
I heartily agree; the Pavillion will be an enormous boost for PSU's image. I pray that the donors will come through. And by the way, Forest, I'm ashamed to say baseball at PSU doesn't ring a bell. Gordon Dodds' history of PSU doesn't mention it that I can see. Was it before '65, when I started teaching here? How about giving us a paragraph or two here on its history?

I really don't know much about PSU baseball, but this is what I find through a google search:

Portland State University
Nickname: Vikings
Division: Dropped Baseball 1998
NAIA College World Series runner-up in 1962

Portland State sponsored baseball from 1957 to 1998. The school was in the Northern Pacific Conference from 1975 to at least 1977 (as late as 1981?), the Pacific-10 Conference from 1982 to 1998.

Coaches:
Mike Tichy, 1957-1961
Roy Love, 1962-1974
Jack Dunn, 1975-1994
Dave Dangler, 1995-1998

Assistant Coaches:
Chris Sperry, 1998

People who went here:
Ken Brauckmiller, minor league pitcher
Kurt Brauckmiller, minor league pitcher
Eric Gunderson, pitcher
Dean Hartgraves, pitcher
Joe Kraemer, pitcher
Jeff Lahti, pitcher
Don Lovell, minor league infielder
Steve Olin, pitcher
Paul Schrieber, umpire
Dan Spencer, college coach
Tom Trebelhorn, manager
Rob Vance, college coach
Dane Walker, scout
Greg Williams, minor league pitcher

Hope this helps! The website I got this info is named: Baseball-Reference.com
Here's the link: http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Portland_State_University" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boy, do names bring back the memories! Tichy, Love and Dunn were big names on campus in their day. Not to mention the players. Everything crashed in the budget cuts of the 80s and 90s. Don't suppose we'll bring baseball back. We can barely afford the ones we've got. Thanks, Forest.

Ahhh. PSU baseball.

I've been fortunate enough to hear Trebelhorn speak at the pdx annual old timers baseball dinner over the past couple of years. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

A fantastic option for the Viking Pavilion would be a floor not only for basketball, but one that becomes also an ice rink for students and college hockey. This seems a good fit for PSU.
5416564699_3f622c6200_z.jpg

And then downstairs, there is a place dedicated for wrestling.

Ice Hockey! I can only imagine the nightmare of trying to raise additional money for that project. The current proposal looks like it will happen, let us not muddle up the project.

Just a wrinkle. An option. An idea. A thought. A possibility.
idea.jpg

No worries. Just a desire for us to hook up with our New England roots.

Portland State's Stott Center is a worthwhile investment

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2013/03/portland_states_stott_center_i.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stott Center renovation makes (dollars and) sense

Redesign will benefit students, university and local organizations while helping to pay for itself
Photo courtesy of Portland State University.

http://psuvanguard.com/opinion/stott-center-renovation-makes-dollars-and-sense/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Portland State has long been planning to renovate one of its most unattractive buildings. The Peter W. Stott Center, an old, leaky, cavernous athletic center built in 1964, is being redesigned to become a flashy multipurpose facility.

In its current state, the Stott Center, in addition to being an eyesore, contains a gym that holds fewer spectators than my relatively small high school did, and I’ve been told that leaks in the classrooms are commonplace during heavy rains.

Renovating the facility will cost around $44 million. So far, PSU has come up with $10 million but needs to raise $2 million more; $22 million will come from the state and the other $10 million from private donors. The new facility will be dubbed the Stott Educational Center, with the basketball court renamed the Viking Pavilion.

The plans to rebuild Stott have been altered recently to include an academic center below the basketball arena and an adaptable academic and gathering space for students in the concourse. According to PSU President Wim
Wiewel, roughly 75 percent of the building will be used for educational purposes.

In addition to housing educational facilities and hosting PSU’s basketball games, the new center’s state-of-the-art basketball court will be capable of converting into an event space for
symposiums, concerts, trade shows and lectures.

What interests me is that while PSU has changed the building’s proposed design, it hasn’t changed the price tag. The new plans will not require more than the previously estimated $44 million. This is a significant bonus because the combination of not having to raise more funds and the multifaceted capabilities of the building will enable PSU to rent it out to non-PSU organizations, actually helping the building pay for itself.

For instance, Oregon Health and Science University, which has already donated a cool $1 million, wishes to use the Stott Educational Center for a gathering and event space. So, before construction has even begun, organizations are expressing the desire to rent it out.

Renting out the center for conferences or symposiums will be a big money-maker, as will ticket sales from concerts, sporting events and trade shows. By doing so, the Stott Center can contribute to its cost. Because of the financial strain on the state and the need for private donations, this makes the renovation that much more appealing.

Though $44 million sounds like a ton of money to spend on what may appear to be simply an athletic center on the surface, the renovation makes financial sense. By renting it out to organizations outside of PSU, the university has found a way to better serve its students by adding the educational space to campus while avoiding raising fees and
recouping some of the construction costs.

Also, though it may sound superficial, new state-of-the-art buildings attract students to universities. Students with athletic interests may choose to attend PSU over other schools with older athletic centers. Already touting the relatively new Academic and Student Rec Center, PSU will now have two great athletic facilities to offer.

New educational facilities will serve the same function, as it may be a draw for students who are attracted to new academic amenities. By drawing new students (and their tuition money) and fielding offers from organizations already demonstrating a desire to rent out the space, the new Stott Educational Center will be worth the price tag.

This is a big deal for Portland State!

PSU VIKINGS ‏@PSU_VIKINGS
Higher Ed capital funding bill is out and includes the Stott Center and Viking Pavilion! Great day for… http://instagram.com/p/bfE3qvhpzC/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://twitter.com/PSU_VIKINGS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sweet!

Wait, is that the released post-legislated budget, or does this still require a vote? How much funding?

Guilty of being silly with details.

24 million.

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/07/oregon_senate_approves_1_billi.html#incart_m-rpt-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apportionment:

University of Oregon $188,425,000 (33.0%)

Oregon State University $148,310,500 (26.0%)

Small Colleges Combined (including OSU-Cascades) $91,000,000 (16.0%)

Portland State University $74,000,000 (13.0%)

OUS $68,300,000 (12%)

Something rotten in the state of Oregon, as per usual.

So how much did we ask for? Anything close to what UO did? I wonder to what extent we're restricted by the price of what little land is available to us. UO/OSU have campuses, with free land to build on. Still. It would have been nice if we had asked for some money for an expanded library. Or even just a plain classroom building.

In my opinion, PSU should be getting the lion's share from now on, for the sake of reparations for past evil collusions of UO's Owen Meredith Wilson and the "Duplication Legislature" of the 1950s. Evil doings against America's WWII service men returning on the G.I. Bill. THAT is an Oregon Legacy, the kind of greedy leadership Oregon had back in the 1950s. Disgusting.

pdxfan said:
So how much did we ask for? Anything close to what UO did? I wonder to what extent we're restricted by the price of what little land is available to us. UO/OSU have campuses, with free land to build on. Still. It would have been nice if we had asked for some money for an expanded library. Or even just a plain classroom building.

The Business School Building bonds were approved.

So 40m for the SBA, 24m for the Pavilion, and 10m for land acquisition.

Did I miss what the land acquisition is for?

martymoose said:
So 40m for the SBA, 24m for the Pavilion, and 10m for land acquisition.

Did I miss what the land acquisition is for?

Yeah, I didn't see what specifically this was for.

If the School of Education is getting kicked out of the SBA building, does anyone know where they are moving?

Back to the Pavilion...Does anyone have any more info on the design details? What will the design for the new basketball locker rooms and weight rooms look like? Any other amenities? It looks like the Stott Center Court remains which will be a good practice facitlity. Will the pool remain? Enquiring minds want to know. I wonder if the basketball teams will be able to play in the Stott during construction or will need to play elsewhere. The project breaks ground in 2014. Wish it were starting in 2013.

Latest posts

Back