• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

WAKE UP BILL EVANS!

I don't know about other fans, but I am tired of watching Bill Evans kill game flow by subbing out key players, (starters or reserves), when the team is clicking and running efficiently. CATCH A CLUE BILL, when there is 5 on the floor that are playing well and SCORING, "LEAVE" them in! Quit watching the clock and subbing in players, not because they are tired and not playing/scoring, but because the clock is now at 15 minutes left and its time to sub...........
This is a talented group of kids, and if you start playing with their minds and changing their positions, you are going to continue to ruin chemistry as well as the player's confidence/attitude. Sometimes, a reserve on the bench should be playing more than a starter.....and keep them in if they are playing/scoring..........You might win a few more games! :thumb:

Duh. He's been doing this since day one. He's the only coach I have ever heard who says 10 games into a season that he doesn't know the best team to put on the floor and he is still experimenting. You know, the best player doesn't make the best team, blah blah blah.
Why are players getting minutes one game and then don't see the floor again for several games? Why is his returned missionary walk on who was awarded a scholarship who Bill says is the best defender on the team always on the bench? At least his last returned missionary walk on who was given a scholarship got a couple minutes a game.

Bills has yet to take a shot or play defense, we can't blame the coaching staff for the inconsistency of the players. I do question some of the decisions made in recent games but then again I'm not at practice to see who's stepping up in practice. We still have not had two players get hot together and our defense and rebounding can defiantly be a little better. There's still over half the season left, lets just HOPE when the Big Sky Tournament rolls around were playing our BEST basketball. I still have a lot of confidence in this team.

The coaching is absolutely Abismal. It is horrendous to watch, it’s disgusting; and you can tell who has “control” of it. They were running a smoother offense non conference, playing tougher teams. Now you can tell, with their sets, disgusting pace of play that Evans has all the say. Does this man, understand that his coaching career is in jeopardy? Who the heck would want to hire him, once he is let go, fired, what ever term you want to use.

This team is talented, and Bill is being outcoached every single game. It is horrible to watch, and you can tell the players are frustrated as well. When one or two players do poorly, it’s the players fault— when the whole team collectively does poorly like these past 4 games— it’s coaching.

I don’t mean to pick on players, but ISU most inconsistent player has been Stutzman. What’s wrong with him this year? Was everyone’s expectations to high? He seems out of shape, and just off his game. Sure, a lot of it boils down to the coaches not using talent properly. But if I was on the bench, I would want to know what strings stutzman pulling on coach Evans , that he’s still averaging 30 minutes a game, playing as horribly as he is. And for sake, please don’t mention, he is a Mormon... although, I won’t be shocked if that is it. Just as previous members have mentioned.

Bill also seems to be one of the worst coaches when it comes to managing personal and building chemistry as a unit. We can all probably go on and on, but quite frankly, just as DEAD as these forums are for this basketball team, seems like many of you are sick and tired of it. This forum has been more active in previous years. Helped my writing piece .

As a father of a player that was not recruit to play at the D1 level I refuse to bash the only coach that gave my son the opportunity to live out his dream of playing college basketball. Yes there's a lot that we as fans and parents see while watching this team play and I'm sure we've all questioned some substitution and starting line-ups. As a former travel ball coach I realize playing time is earned in practice and all of these young men have been playing this game for many years. Yes a coach draws up the X a and O's and gives his team a game plan that he feels would help them win the contest BUT when it's all said and done it's the players that have to execute that game plan. It's the players taking the shots playing defense rebounding the ball blocking out staying in front of their man playing defense. Lets start holding the players accountable, I was once told by a former NBA Player whos now coaching that when it comes right down to it, if a team looses by more the 10 points that it's on the players once that game is right around the 1-10 point mark that's when coaching and adjustments make a huge difference. We still have a lot of basketball to play this year and I really believe we can complete with anyone in our conference, let's just hope we pull it together and start playing solid basketball. Once the Big Sky Tournament rolls around we should be hitting our peak remember what Soutnern Utah did last year.

As a father of a player that was not recruit to play at the D1 level I refuse to bash the only coach that gave my son the opportunity to live out his dream of playing college basketball. Yes there's a lot that we as fans and parents see while watching this team play and I'm sure we've all questioned some substitution and starting line-ups. As a former travel ball coach I realize playing time is earned in practice and all of these young men have been playing this game for many years. Yes a coach draws up the X a and O's and gives his team a game plan that he feels would help them win the contest BUT when it's all said and done it's the players that have to execute that game plan. It's the players taking the shots playing defense rebounding the ball blocking out staying in front of their man playing defense. Lets start holding the players accountable, I was once told by a former NBA Player whos now coaching that when it comes right down to it, if a team looses by more the 10 points that it's on the players once that game is right around the 1-10 point mark that's when coaching and adjustments make a huge difference. We still have a lot of basketball to play this year and I really believe we can compete with anyone in our conference, let's just hope we pull it together and start playing solid basketball. Once the Big Sky Tournament rolls around we should be hitting our peak remember what Soutnern Utah did last year.

Hank42 said:
As a father of a player that was not recruit to play at the D1 level I refuse to bash the only coach that gave my son the opportunity to live out his dream of playing college basketball. Yes there's a lot that we as fans and parents see while watching this team play and I'm sure we've all questioned some substitution and starting line-ups. As a former travel ball coach I realize playing time is earned in practice and all of these young men have been playing this game for many years. Yes a coach draws up the X a and O's and gives his team a game plan that he feels would help them win the contest BUT when it's all said and done it's the players that have to execute that game plan. It's the players taking the shots playing defense rebounding the ball blocking out staying in front of their man playing defense. Lets start holding the players accountable, I was once told by a former NBA Player whos now coaching that when it comes right down to it, if a team looses by more the 10 points that it's on the players once that game is right around the 1-10 point mark that's when coaching and adjustments make a huge difference. We still have a lot of basketball to play this year and I really believe we can compete with anyone in our conference, let's just hope we pull it together and start playing solid basketball. Once the Big Sky Tournament rolls around we should be hitting our peak remember what Soutnern Utah did last year.

Hank will all due respect, I am glad your kid was given a scholarship, but that in no way should make anyone give Evans the benefit of the doubt. Case in point, last night. He is being severely outcoached night in and night out. Then the man has the audacity to say “we don’t have an identity”...? That’s his job, that’s his responsibility, not the players. World doesent work for pity, he deserves to be let go, fires, resign... what ever adjective you want to insert, he simply deserves it. Darn, at his age, I would think it should be a necessity, enjoy retirement bill! I promise it’s more enjoyable.

I think once Satterlee was hired for Evans` future the writing was on the wall. Tingey`s vision was not what his new boss wants and he is gone. I believe the new President wants to restore I.S.U.`s athletics prowess to what it was in the 70`s and early 80`s and maybe even more. GO BENGALS

Coaches shouldn’t have to light fires under these players, this is D-1 basketball. All these players worked very hard to get here and our approach to the game just doesn’t seem like they want to play.

I continue to shake my head at Bill Evans and his coaching staff. Thursday's game against Sac. State showed another side of his pathetic coaching. For instance, when Sac. State shoots lights out from the 3 point range, why in the world would you stay in a Zone defense? Hello????? Also, why do you continue to keep players in the game, who can't hit a shot, play subpar defense and don't foul just to stay on the floor.
Idaho State's game flow on offense is sooooo slow that I think players in wheelchairs can guard and defend them.
Bill Evans needs to remember that he has players on the bench, that when they are given the opportunity and allowed to make a mistake or two, aren't just pulled for a starter who isn't playing ANY better.
If you take a look at a few of your reserves, (Walker, Dowd, Udengwu), their energy and hustle shows in the team's speed, both on offense and defense. I would love to see these players all on the court at the same time with Mocsan and Boyd. (Dowd (1), Boyd (2), Moscan (3), Udengwu (4), Walker(5))
You might want to try that line-up and play a man-man defense. I think the players could adjust to a different position, (Moscan and Udengwu), but you would see a game flow change!

Jones, a talented post, has got to take the easy shots and either shoot right away or pass the ball out and reset his position. His "SLOW" play on offense make him easy to guard.

Boyd needs to remember the game is 40 minutes and not just last 20 minutes of each game. Push the ball up the court every possession and speed up the game. Mocsan has shown some up tempo play, but he is not a point guard due to his passing.

In closing, if ISU does not speed up its offensive game, and "keep" game flow moving, they will NOT win another conference game. They HAVE the talent, but quite a bit is sitting on the bench!
Right the ship Bill.......or you will see yourself sailing alone into the sunset and out of a job!

I believe the adjustment should be Walker for Maker right now, the reason I say that is because. Right now Maker shits aren’t falling and Jones could really use the help in the paint. That’s also gives us a better chance at seconds chance points and it may help keep Jones out of foul trouble. Walker does a great job of getting his hands on the ball and he brings energy to the game. He’s also faster and can recover on defense better, Walkers shoots a lot of 3’s and when he’s on it helps us but at 6’7 we could use him on the boards. Even if Walker comes off the bench he could still play 30+ minutes. We defiantly need a adjustment and I believe this would be the best adjustment for right now.

Hank42 said:
I believe the adjustment should be Walker for Maker right now, the reason I say that is because. Right now Maker shots aren’t falling and Jones could really use the help in the paint. That also gives us a better chance at seconds chance points and it may help keep Jones out of foul trouble. Walker does a great job of getting his hands on the ball and he brings energy to the game. He’s also faster and can recover on defense better, Maker shoots a lot of 3’s and when he’s on it helps us but at 6’7 we could use him on the boards. Even if Maker comes off the bench he could still play 30+ minutes. We definetly need a adjustment and I believe this would be the best adjustment for right now. We could also cut down on the 3's until we find our selfs shooting at a higher percentage.

ISU rotation is a lot better we're playing solid team basketball, in tonights game we had balanced scoring. There's a few things we need to work on (blocking out, getting more points in the paint) at this point I believe well make a good run in this years Big Sky Tournament.

I think Donny's comments hit the nail on the head and are also very concerning. It has to make you wonder why Dowd and Chidi who bring a ton of energy and play hard every minute have not seen the floor for several games. Last night in particular but also at NA where the Bengals gave up a 19 point lead. If Bill is mad at them, then clear the air, accept their apologies and move on. To punish players game after game at the expense of the team is petty and unprofessional. I would hope that the AD would be looking at this. It might be best for the team if Bill is removed NOW!

I just watched another fine display of 20, not 40 minutes of basketball this evening. Does ISU only play a Zone defense? Any elementary coach knows when a team shoots lights out 3`s, you might want to switch into a man to man defense. But God forbid any starter other than Mocsan or Jones dare to foul anyone or their minutes on the court might be shortened. Case in point......why is Stutzman still playing 30 minutes a game and rarely fouls like tonight, but still gets the green light to shoot the 3 and misses every attempt? Something is wrong there.
Also, the game went back to Brandon Boyd's pace tonight..... slow when he's tired and fast when he has a break away for a coast to coast. What happened to not playing Dowd anymore? He gives you the team speed that is needed from time to time and he gets the ball to the open man. In my opinion, he is the most visionary player on your squad.
You should be beating these teams at home. No excuses. Gary should be playing over Stutzman.....that is a no brainer.......figure it out Bill.....the tournament is right around the corner and you should be firing on all five cylinders, not just 2.5.......

I would agree with you maybe Brandon and Dowd should play together or give Sam some of Brandon s minutes. The other thing to look at is the points and rebounds difference between the starters and the subs. Marker is being out rebound by Boyd and Moscan and being out scored by Gary and Walker. Marker is 6'7 being guard by a 6'2 and 6'3 player he should be able to take that player in the paint. Maybe Lyle Sutton should play when were playing a man defense, he's not going to give us much offense BUT we're not getting that from our starters anyway.

Montane State play a zone in the second half and took away our ability to drive, our shooters never got on track which meant we couldn't score. We laid back in a zone and they go hot from outside, I'm not sure what adjustments we can make at this points we're built to play from outside the 3 point line.

I need to apologize to Joe O'Brien. I didn't think it could ever get worse than him. Was I wrong. What a clusterfuck. I hope there is a true search committee for a new coach. The last two searches for basketball coaches were bogus. Completely bogus.

Latest posts

Back