• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Week 5 - #8 Sac State vs Northern Arizona

SDHornet

Staff member
Week 5 - #8 Sac State vs Northern Arizona

The 8th ranked Hornets (3-1, 0-1 BSC) host the revived Northern Arizona Lumberjacks (1-3, 1-0 BSC) in Hornet Stadium in which the Hornets are looking to get back to their winning ways. Head Coach Chris Ball and his Lumberjack program is looking to turn the corner in his 4th season at the helm.

The Jacks looked absolutely hapless through the first three games of the season as they fell behind in blowout fashion each game. NAU opened the season with a 3-28 drubbing at Arizona, followed by a 22-37 whooping at North Dakota and followed that up with an embarrassing home opening 36-50 loss to Utah Tech. It wasn’t until last week that the Jack fortunes turned in Flagstaff as they dominated an overrated 13th ranked Montana in a 28-14 win that was never in question.

The NAU offense runs the standard run-pass option out of the shotgun/pistol. The Jacks like to pull linemen on both the run and play action. They use a lot of misdirection with fly sweeps and counters to get a player into open field on the edge. True freshman quarterback Adam Damante (48/67, 483 yds, 3 TD, 4 INT) has injected new life into this offense. The play calling on passing plays is such that it is the short quick outs and play action passes to the tight end underneath to aid the development of the young quarterback. NAU does take the occasional shot down the field and has run some trickery to get points. The primary receiving target is Coleman Owen (20 rec, 270 yds, 1 TD) and 5 other receivers have at least 6 receptions. On the ground, Devon Starling (57 car, 252 yds, 2 TD, 5 rec, 42 yds) is the primary running back. Up front, NAU’s offensive line isn’t very big but they are athletic enough to pull and get out to the edge to make their blocks. NAU has shown to run temp at times to catch defenses off guard.

Offensive Team Stats
  • Points scored per game: 22.3 (10th BSC / 70th FCS)
  • Total Offense: 386.5 ypg (136.3 rushing ypg / 250.3 passing ypg) - 5th (9th / 4th) BSC
  • Sacks Allowed: 6 (T-5th BSC)
  • Turnovers: 5/4 (INT/Fum)
  • Redzone: 8/11 - 6/2 (TD/FG) - 10th BSC

Defensively, the Jack operate out of the 3-3 and until last week, struggled to keep opponents out of the endzone. The NAU defense does a good job of finding the ball at the line of scrimmage and gang tackling to minimize long runs. NAU has gotten after the quarterback as they often bring a delayed rush from one of the edges to disrupt the passing game. Nickelback Alex McLaughlin (31 tak, 1.5 TFL, 0.5 sac, 1 INT) leads the defense in tackles with defensive end Eloi Kwete (17 tak, 5 TFL, 4.5 sac) being a complete wrecking ball in the backfield.

Defensive Team Stats
  • Points allowed per game: 34.8 (9th BSC / 87th FCS)
  • Total Defense: 486.8 ypg (106.5 rushing ypg / 280.3 passing ypg) - 8th (3rd / 11th) BSC
  • Sacks : 10 (T-4th BSC)
  • Turnovers: 2/2 (INT/Fum)
  • Redzone: 13/14 - 10/3 (TD/FG) - 11th BSC

On special teams, NAU has been abysmal in the kicking game. Kicker Marcus Lye (2/6 FG, 9/9 PAT) has struggled with accuracy but he has a long of 49 yards on the year and had one field goal blocked in week 1 at Arizona. Punter Eemil Herranen (16 pnt, 39.5 ypp) has a good hang time and a booming leg to boot and on the other end the Jacks blocked a punt last week that set the tone of their upset win. In the return game, NAU is averaging about 20 yards per kickoff return with Draycen Hall and George Steele splitting the duties.

Hornet Team Stats
  • Points scored per game: 32.3 (3rd BSC / T-25th FCS)
  • Points allowed per game: 22.3 (4th BSC / 36th FCS)
  • Total Offense: 424.3 ypg (183.5 rushing ypg / 240.8 passing ypg) - 3rd (3rd / 6th) BSC
  • Total Defense: 327.0 ypg (149.8 rushing ypg / 177.3 passing ypg) - 3rd (7th / 3rd) BSC
  • Turnovers: 4/1 (INT/Fum)
  • Turnovers Forced: 4/2 (INT/Fum)
  • Redzone Offense: 17/18 - 12/5 (TD/FG) - T-1st BSC
  • Redzone Defense: 9/12 - 5/4 (TD/FG) - 2nd BSC

Position Advantage
  • Quarterback: Hornets. Kaiden Bennett is the better athlete compared to Adam Damante. Both quarterbacks force the ball into coverage.
  • Running Backs: Hornets. Marcus Fulcher is a more explosive runner compared to Devon Starling.
  • Wide Receivers: Hornets. The Hornets have better playmakers, but the Jacks have just as good possession receivers.
  • Tight Ends: Jacks. A healthy Marcus Phillip Jr is more effective than an unhealthy Marshel Martin by a wide margin.
  • Offensive Line: Push. Hornet offensive line needs a resounding response from the punking they received a week ago or the outlook for the Hornets gets grim.
  • Defensive Line: Push. Eloi Kwete will be the best lineman on the field, but the Hornets are collectively a better pass rushing unit.
  • Linebackers: Jacks. Heston Lameta and Tommy Ellis play the run better than Aarmon Bailey and Brock Mather.
  • Defensive Backs: Hornets. The Hornet secondary gives up less yardage per game and has allowed half as many touchdowns compared to the Jacks secondary. The Jacks secondary is better against the run.
  • Punters: Push. Australia’s Cal McGough vs Finland's Eemil Herranen, 2 punters enter but only one will emerge with global bragging rights…
  • Kickers: Hornets. Marcus Lye has struggled, Zach Schriener has not.
  • Kick Returners: Push. Neither team has done anything notable in the kick return game this season.

As a team, the Hornets have more talent than NAU but the Hornets can’t sleepwalk through this game and expect an easy win. I had this as a blowout win, however last week's performance against a middle of the road Montana team at home showed the potential that this Lumberjack squad has. NAU isn’t flashy, and they have to run trick plays to stretch the field on offense, but the capability of an upset is there if the Hornets are caught overlooking this game dreaming of their bye week vacation plans. I don’t think that happens, especially after the let down in Moscow last week. My money is on the Hornets coming out looking to make a statement and they take care of business against an overmatched opponent. Hornets win comfortably this weekend at home in front of a big crowd.

Stingers Up!

Montana at NAU Highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfZ0t72c9Gk

Edit: Added the link to the box score for the NAU-UM game.

NAU ran the ball down Montucky's throat the same way Idaho ran against the Hornets.
This has quickly turned into a must win conference game.

I like Bennett, but where is #2? If Bennett goes down, I feel the season is very compromised.

What has happened to Martin? He has fallen off the earth.

Green Cookie Monster said:
NAU ran the ball down Montucky's throat the same way Idaho ran against the Hornets.

I like Bennett, but where is #2? If Bennett goes down, I feel the season is very compromised.

Martin still has a RS year available to him, no? He will have a decision to make. He can play in one more game and maintain his RS season.

If I’m him and I still don’t feel right, maybe I give it one more shot in the causeway or a playoff game, then I’m shutting it down and trying to come back for a RS SR season at full health with KB next year…

Kadeezy said:

Martin still has a RS year available to him, no? He will have a decision to make. He can play in one more game and maintain his RS season.

If I’m him and I still don’t feel right, maybe I give it one more shot in the causeway or a playoff game, then I’m shutting it down and trying to come back for a RS SR season at full health with KB next year…

Or get sucked into the portal....

What is injured? I saw the play where he left, didn't seem that bad at the time. He was an important cog last year. Kuntz and Jarrad have done nicely filling in, but Martin is a game changer.

Maybe Fresques isnt utilizing the TE's as much?

NAU was nursing a lead with an inexperienced quarterback against an impotent Montucky offense that couldn't move the ball. NAU, smartly, played it conservatively and killed the clock with short yardage throws and running plays. 136 rushing yards on 42 carries (3.2 ypr) against Montcky is hardly "running the ball down their throat". Montucky just isn't as good as all their shills claim them to be...again.

NAU is no Idaho. Idaho's offense is the most versatile in the BSC, hence the reason not to doom over that loss. No other team in the BSC has the offensive capabilities like the Vandals. They can stretch vertical with their receivers, smash the ball with their running game, and if all else fails McCoy can make plays with his feet. The Vandal offense is on par, if not more dangerous than the prolific 2022 Hornet offense.

NAU does not have anywhere near the capabilities of Idaho's offense, or even ours for that matter. This game is all about seeing how this team responds to a road loss to a very good physical team. Are the Hornets (and their team leaders) going to playdown to NAU's level and limp into the bye week, or come out and take care of business with a renewed ambition for the remainder of the season?

For the first time in a while I won’t be able to be at or watch the Hornets live.

Does anyone know how long it takes for ESPN+ to archive a game so it can be watched on demand? Thinking of going radio silence and watching later.

Kadeezy said:
For the first time in a while I won’t be able to be at or watch the Hornets live.

Does anyone know how long it takes for ESPN+ to archive a game so it can be watched on demand? Thinking of going radio silence and watching later.
Usually about an hour after the game concludes. If it isn't available when searching Sacramento State, you can also look for Northern Arizona. For some reason they aren't always available at the same time.

Juniel should not be playing anymore. At least not as a starter. With the exception of the Stanford game, he has given up so many big plays every week. It’s time to play someone else.

GreenArmySwarm said:
Juniel should not be playing anymore. At least not as a starter. With the exception of the Stanford game, he has given up so many big plays every week. It’s time to play someone else.

Miss tackle and NAU gets their second TD

GreenArmySwarm said:
GreenArmySwarm said:

This defense is absolutely embarrassing

GreenArmySwarm said:
GreenArmySwarm said:
GreenArmySwarm said:

Terrible O-line play. Very unimaginative play calling that prevents the team offense from getting into a rhythm.

Terrible defense. Just every aspect of the game.

That 4th & 1 was kind of ridiculous by the refs.

GreenArmySwarm said:
GreenArmySwarm said:
GreenArmySwarm said:
GreenArmySwarm said:

Terrible O-line play. Very unimaginative play calling that prevents the team offense from getting into a rhythm.

Terrible defense. Just every aspect of the game.

Getting beat on every fundamental aspect of the game.

GreenArmySwarm said:

That’s what this game has become. At all levels. The officials subjectively call whatever they want with no consistency.

The Hornets get measured when it appeared to be a clear first down, but they won’t measure NAU when it looked like they didn’t gain an inch.

That said, if the Hornets would have tackled when NAU had the ball at their own half yard line the way they tackled on 4th and 1 they wouldn’t have been in that situation.

GreenArmySwarm said:

I can’t even watch this defense play anymore. I’m pausing then coming back to the game once the Hornets have the ball. It’s too frustrating to watch.

I said this before, who else lines their defensive line a yard to a yard and a half off the ball almost every play? This isn’t the CFL.

May not matter anyway since the tackling is atrocious and the DB’s continue to fall for the most basic misdirection half back toss pass plays.

This defense looks like most high school defenses I see play on Friday nights.

I think Andy Thompson having all the added responsibilities of being the HC has muddied things up.

GreenArmySwarm said:
Not sure if Martin is injured. But Fresques has completely iced out one of the best players in the country.

There’s a difference between spreading the ball around and not utilizing/looking at your best player at all.

Latest posts

Back