• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Welcome David Patrick. New MBB HC!

GreenArmySwarm

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1510284689537482767?s=21&t=cDj4k0EH3-kpuyfxL0HhCg

https://twitter.com/oudailysports/status/1510301759738101767?s=21&t=cDj4k0EH3-kpuyfxL0HhCg

Great pedigree. Great connections. Once again, St.Mary’s tie on the basketball hire. On paper, amazing hire my Orr and admin. Stingers up.

His head coaching resume is different.

Head coaching record.

10-23, 4-12 Conference - 2018 - 19
17-15, 7-9 Conference - 2019 - 20
27-38, .415 - career record

The two years before his arrival they had 9 and 7 victories. He bolted after one good year.

I hope he considers keeping Coach Laird as an assistant, but that's rare, they always want 'their guy'.

Oklahoma associate head coach David Patrick is reportedly finalizing a deal to become Sacramento State's next head coach, per Stadium’s Jeff Goodman.

Sacramento State is finalizing a deal to hire Oklahoma assistant David Patrick, source told @stadium. Patrick has head coaching experience at UC Riverside. IMO, This is a home run hire by AD Mark Orr.

— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) April 2, 2022
Patrick arrived in Norman in 2021 with new head coach Porter Moser and shared associate head coach responsibilities with K.T Turner. He served as head coach at UC Riverside for two seasons and is a longtime assistant coach with stints at Arkansas, Nicholls State, Saint Mary’s College, LSU and TCU.

Patrick also served in an administrative role with the Houston Rockets from 2010-12. Raised in Melbourne, Australia, he’s been an assistant coach for Australia’s national team since 2019.

Gave the program that’s a bottom feeder of the Big West its highest D1 win total of all time is a bad thing?

He went to coach with a friend in the SEC (and the Big12) for double the salary after changing the program around. Not only that, the Riverside admin was discussing a drop to D2 at the time.

This is the first take of his UCR stint as a bad one. He help developed the culture there and his assistants were able to pick up and continue to win right after he left. We may miss Coach Katz and his very stable assistants staff (Coach Laird, Coach Nate, and Coach Ajay) but knocking this hire is not the route. By every metric, this is a more than solid hire.

If David Patrick is successful (wins the conference and make it to the NCAA tournament), more than likely, a P6 school is going to come calling. That’s just the nature of any low/Mid major athletic program. Especially one that is a public school with minimal funding. We should expect (be happy if/when he leaves on his own terms), that would most likely mean that our program have reached new heights it has never before.

In 2020, the future of the program was placed into doubt, as UC Riverside's leadership reportedly began considering cutting the university's entire athletics department in response to financial strain caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. However, in May 2021, the university announced that they had decided against eliminating athletics and will continue competing at the NCAA Division I level in all sports,[2][3] thus saving the men's basketball program from extinction.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kadeezy said:
In Orr we trust…

Yes. On paper, this looks like a great hire. I didn't think we'd be able to pull in a guy with this kind of a resume' given our pathetic facilities. Good move by Nelsen and Orr. :clap:

Also would be nice if the former regime would stop with the mass emails via bcc taking a dig at the process. It's not a good look. :twocents:

Great hire? The proof will be in the results. Will hold back judgement till then. Speaking of resume. We are his 4th school in four years. Felt Coach Laird was the best and right hire. If you want a comparison look at the job he did this year. Compare those to the new hire's first year at Riverside. Hands down Laird's year was better than his first at Riverside under much more difficult circumstances. As a matter of fact we won as many conference games as Riverside did in his second season. But I am not posting to debate the merits of who should have been hired.

As for a blast of emails I have only received two. If you have spent any time around Coach Laird and Coach Katz you know they are two of the most sincere, well respected coaches you will meet. They along with their staff put their heart and soul in this program.

The administration can hire whomever they choose. However a true professional, who cares about people, would have personally contacted Coach Laird to let him know he was not getting the job, and also reached out to his long tenured assistant coaches. Instead all of the coaches and their families had to start hearing on social media that they were losing their jobs and then receive an email from human resources to turn in in their work computers etc. That is unacceptable! How would you and your family feel if your receive an email tonight from your company to turn in your things in the morning and your boss/supervisor did not talk to you first?

If Orr and Nelson had no interest in hiring Coach Laird they should have been straight with him at the end of the season. Instead Coach Laird, Coach Riding, Coach Smith and Coach Kirby and their families were left to wonder for three weeks what their future was. It is unfathomable, unprofessional, and disrespectful to them that they had to first hear on social media that they were hiring someone else and then not hear from Athletic Director Orr. No excuses.

Greenteam said:
Great hire? The proof will be in the results. Will hold back judgement till then. Speaking of resume. We are his 4th school in four years. Felt Coach Laird was the best and right hire. If you want a comparison look at the job he did this year. Compare those to the new hire's first year at Riverside. Hands down Laird's year was better than his first at Riverside under much more difficult circumstances. As a matter of fact we won as many conference games as Riverside did in his second season. But I am not posting to debate the merits of who should have been hired.
Time will tell. Not sure why anyone is anointing Laird after this subpar year. Was he not the lead recruiter? Did these players not drastically under perform? Roster talent was incredible weak this year. Why was it so bad for a long tenured coaching staff? And don’t get me started on the awful situational awareness this team had in critical situations. That unpreparedness comes from Laird. Laird was a solid assistant/associate HC, but he showed he is nowhere near ready to be a D1 HC. As they say, ball don’t lie.

As for a blast of emails I have only received two. If you have spent any time around Coach Laird and Coach Katz you know they are two of the most sincere, well respected coaches you will meet. They along with their staff put their heart and soul in this program.
I’m grateful for what Katz and his staff built while here, this program just lacked consistency. The BSC is a garbage conference, we should have been battling for the 4/5/6 spot in the BSC, not the 8/9/10 year in and year out. The defensive side of the ball improved dramatically under Laird and he gets all the credit there. I wish Katz, Laird, and the rest of the staff best of luck at whatever they decide to pursue next.

The administration can hire whomever they choose. However a true professional, who cares about people, would have personally contacted Coach Laird to let him know he was not getting the job, and also reached out to his long tenured assistant coaches. Instead all of the coaches and their families had to start hearing on social media that they were losing their jobs and then receive an email from human resources to turn in in their work computers etc. That is unacceptable! How would you and your family feel if your receive an email tonight from your company to turn in your things in the morning and your boss/supervisor did not talk to you first?
Agreed. Nelsen/Orr should have handled it better, but these guys were contract staff. Once that contract is up, the University doesn’t owe them anything.

If Orr and Nelson had no interest in hiring Coach Laird they should have been straight with him at the end of the season. Instead Coach Laird, Coach Riding, Coach Smith and Coach Kirby and their families were left to wonder for three weeks what their future was. It is unfathomable, unprofessional, and disrespectful to them that they had to first hear on social media that they were hiring someone else and then not hear from Athletic Director Orr. No excuses.
Meh. Nothing is outside of the contract is owed to these coaches. This is the nature of coaching collegiate athletics, not knowing what happens when that contract expires is part of the gig…and truth be told, none of these coaches should be surprised at what was coming. If any of them were truly surprised at not being retained, then they were just living in a different world this past season.

I’ll close with thanking Katz, Laird and this staff for an overall solid program that they built. The graduation rates speak for themselves, and although the on-court results were well below expectations at times, these players played their hearts out and delivered some memorable moments that will go down as some of the best ever in the D1 era. I’m grateful I got to see a lot of games in person, and be a long time season ticket holder while they were here.

Having said that, it's time for a change and I look forward to what Patrick and the new staff will bring to the Nest as we embark on a new era of Hornet MBB. More importantly, I look forward to seeing how Nelsen/Orr support this program so that it can reach new heights. This is an exciting change and given Nelsen/Orr's track record of coaching hires, I'm optimistic it's the right move.

Stingers Up!

SDHornet said:
Greenteam said:
Time will tell. Not sure why anyone is anointing Laird after this subpar year. Was he not the lead recruiter? Did these players not drastically under perform? Roster talent was incredible weak this year. Why was it so bad for a long tenured coaching staff? And don’t get me started on the awful situational awareness this team had in critical situations. That unpreparedness comes from Laird. Laird was a solid assistant/associate HC, but he showed he is nowhere near ready to be a D1 HC. As they say, ball don’t lie.

I’m grateful for what Katz and his staff built while here, this program just lacked consistency. The BSC is a garbage conference, we should have been battling for the 4/5/6 spot in the BSC, not the 8/9/10 year in and year out. The defensive side of the ball improved dramatically under Laird and he gets all the credit there. I wish Katz, Laird, and the rest of the staff best of luck at whatever they decide to pursue next.

Agreed. Nelsen/Orr should have handled it better, but these guys were contract staff. Once that contract is up, the University doesn’t owe them anything.

Meh. Nothing is outside of the contract is owed to these coaches. This is the nature of coaching collegiate athletics, not knowing what happens when that contract expires is part of the gig…and truth be told, none of these coaches should be surprised at what was coming. If any of them were truly surprised at not being retained, then they were just living in a different world this past season.

I’ll close with thanking Katz, Laird and this staff for an overall solid program that they built. The graduation rates speak for themselves, and although the on-court results were well below expectations at times, these players played their hearts out and delivered some memorable moments that will go down as some of the best ever in the D1 era. I’m grateful I got to see a lot of games in person, and be a long time season ticket holder while they were here.

Having said that, it's time for a change and I look forward to what Patrick and the new staff will bring to the Nest as we embark on a new era of Hornet MBB. More importantly, I look forward to seeing how Nelsen/Orr support this program so that it can reach new heights. This is an exciting change and given Nelsen/Orr's track record of coaching hires, I'm optimistic it's the right move.

Stingers Up!

I don’t always agree with SD but he hits the nail on the head here with every point

First job, land Callum McRae…

https://twitter.com/verbalcommits/status/1509293613959815169?s=21&t=TEV144xaMgASiR0dYNQExg

Would not be surprised if we get this back up big

https://soonersports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/akol-mawein/14878

And bet some good players from Australia would like a chance
to play college basketball and get a degree from an American university .
It worked well for Saint Mary's College and made the SMC bball program relevant

SDHornet said:
Greenteam said:
Great hire? The proof will be in the results. Will hold back judgement till then. Speaking of resume. We are his 4th school in four years. Felt Coach Laird was the best and right hire. If you want a comparison look at the job he did this year. Compare those to the new hire's first year at Riverside. Hands down Laird's year was better than his first at Riverside under much more difficult circumstances. ...

The administration can hire whomever they choose. However a true professional, who cares about people, ...

Stingers Up!

You neglect to mention that Coach Laird had a very young team.

Looks like if Patrick wins, he'll be gone after one good year.

movielover said:
SDHornet said:
Greenteam said:
Great hire? The proof will be in the results. Will hold back judgement till then. Speaking of resume. We are his 4th school in four years. Felt Coach Laird was the best and right hire. If you want a comparison look at the job he did this year. Compare those to the new hire's first year at Riverside. Hands down Laird's year was better than his first at Riverside under much more difficult circumstances. ...

The administration can hire whomever they choose. However a true professional, who cares about people, ...

Stingers Up!

You neglect to mention that Coach Laird had a very young team.

Looks like if Patrick wins, he'll be gone after one good year.

The young team was Laird’s (and Katz) choice. Could have chose a the Juco or Transfer Portal route.

If Patrick wins, he’ll be gone after one year? —> well, at least we’ll win for once? Lol
Not the two (honestly, only one (NAIA/D2-D3 wins don’t count in my book)) winning seasons in the past 14 seasons of Katz/Laird leadership.

Latest posts

Back