• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

YAY New Volleyball Coach...

Don't want to spill the beans as everyone should find out as soon as tomorrow.
I'm just gonna say... Tingey Baby. Great First Hire.

Now let's just pray that none of the other 'qualified' applicants wish to sue ISU.

The proof will be in the pudding, but it looks like the Bengals are getting a good one to me. There's nothing wrong at all with someone being one of the best high school volleyball coaches and clinicians in the country. I suspect a far greater number of college head coaches would have more success if they had the background and expertise this man has.

GO BENGALS!

VOTB

This is really quite a hire! Looks like Tingey had some pretty good insight here! Already, I'm excited for the 2008-2009 year!!!

I completely agree which brings me to my next point.

I would like to be the first to nominate Emory Roy from Idaho's very own Centennial High as the next ISU Head Women's Basketball Coach. Roy has racked up 9 STATE TITLES, in 21 seasons. That's nearly a .500 CHAMPIONSHIP record!

'this is a little old' - maybe ISUSID could dig up Roy's current stats for us all.
IDAHO: EMERY ROY
The most successful girls’ basketball in Idaho history,
Coach Roy has compiled a 595-144 record with Centennial
(Boise) and Meridian High Schools (Meridian). In 2006, he
led the Centennial Rebels to their fifth overall state championship,
and their second in the past three years. From 1980-
83, he led Meridian High to an overall 95-6 record, including
three SIC crowns, three district championships and four
straight state titles.
http://www.scholastic.com/coach/7FEB07_COACH_3_4_CENTURY.pdf

Welcome Chad to Bengal athletics and women's volleyball. Sounds like we landed someone who can coach the game. Hope Chad can recruit as well as coach.

ps--thanks for the help Chris.

Small Ground said:
Oh wait, my bad.
My Man, Mr. Roy probably wouldn't make it through Human Resources to even get a phone call.

Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree; 3 – 5 years collegiate coaching experience, familiarity with NCAA rules and regulations.

http://www.isu.edu/humanr/joblist_files/WomenBBCoach-08.shtml

Kapish.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if you have a problem or not. Do you have a problem with the qualifications listed for the job? By the way, Human Resources has nothing to do with the coach's applications...they go directly to the Athletic Department, then are screened by a search committee. Only after a job offer is made and accepted does the HR office come into play.

I'm just recalling all of the crap Bubb caught for hiring a Junior College coach that had done 'pretty well' in the past. You know the one that just made it into the Junior College hall of fame. And yet Tingey just hired someone from the highschool ranks and no one has said anything except for "great hire". (right about now I'm thinking none of you care about volleyball.... & I hear those tiny voices in your heads saying "and you would be right") But seriously, don't take this the wrong way because I'm not trying to slam Mr. Teichert or anything like that.
I'm just saying:
1. this is a very risky first hire for someone who may become ISU's next AD.
2. i do think Mr. Teichert will have a lot to learn about the conference, recruiting, rules, etc., etc. Guess I already disagree with something he said... "Volleyball is Volleyball." To me "Basketball isn't Basketball", "Hockey isn't Hockey", & unfortunately I'm sure Volleyball isn't just Volleyball across all levels.
3. i think Tingey has to be more careful. For instance: If you were a qualified coach that had met the minimum qualifications w/3-5 years of NCAA experience and you were black, asian, indian, of any other race than white, female, of another religion, etc.. etc.. I think you might be a little pissed... don't you? Wouldn't you? -I'm not sure about Athletics, but usually you would have to repost the job when changing the minimum qualifications.- How many great coaches across the country didn't apply because they didn't meet those minumum requirements. And I'm merely saying that yes in this day and time people/businesses/institutions have been sued for less. http://www.eeoc.gov/

The End.

Tingey will not be the next AD. Vailas will conduct a nation wide search once things have calmed down from Budds release and finances have improved. Probably after 6-12 months expect the AD search to start. Tingey is to young and inexperienced.

the 'rules' for hiring on a college/university campus can be (and often are) circumvented. they (the 'rules') are seldom, if ever, fully applied when hiring in athletics.

I'm trying to find the right way to say this, because I'm extremely pleased that Mr. Teichert is on board and ready to get Bengal Volleyball rolling again! Personally, I think he'll probably be a great coach and we'll be happy with the program, but let it just suffice to say that the job was offered, and turned down by some who had applied for it. I'm glad we have a coach who really WANTS the job, and didn't just submit an application so he could use it as leverage for more money at his present position.

If you're one that thinks there was NOT an exhaustive search done for a vb coach and that due diligence was not given, you're quite mistaken.

Small, I agree that Bubb did not deserve all the crap he took for hiring a Men's BB coach from the JC ranks, which is why I disagree with your assessment of Tingey's VB hire. The common thread between O'Brien and Teichert is that they are both proven winners as head coaches. ISU is not in a position to hire head coaches that are proven winners at the D1 level, so we can either hire assistant coaches with D1 experience, not knowing whether they can succeed as a head coach, or we can hire head coaches from lower levels that are proven winners, not knowing whether they can continue their success at the D1 level. All else being equal, I'll take the proven winner as a head coach. I expect great things from Teichert. His record and clinical experience speaks for itself.

This is ridiculous... he has ZERO experience in NCAA compliance! You guys want to screw up our athletic program even more then it already is? Lets give this guy a chance to screw up and get some scholarships taken away... wouldn't that be fun? :roll:

For what it's worth, Debby Colberg (Sacramento State head coach, retired), Dave Shondell (current head coach of Purdue), and John Dunning (current head coach of Stanford) were all hired directly from high school jobs to NCAA head coaching jobs. It's not the norm, but it's been done -- and with success.

Hey Nutt? Shove it. He's the right choice. Too much experience in the game to pass up. He's taught at every level (including college clinics). And FYI, you also have ZERO experience in NCAA compliance. So, just leave it to him.

Latest posts

Back