• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

#19 Weber State at Cal Poly

the dan

Kickoff at 5 p.m. PST

This is a much needed get-right game. Cal Poly is in rebuild mode and is sitting at 1-3 with a win over a lousy San Diego team. They lost by 32 at Montana last weekend and by 34 to South Dakota the weekend before. They haven't ran the ball well at all this year, not even against San Diego, but they are racking up yards, if inefficiently, through the air.

Early indications are that we should be 3+ TD favorites this weekend. We need to take out our frustration and head into the bye with some positive vibes. It will be telling to see how we come out this week. Things are obviously not going as planned this year. Does the team feel sorry for themselves or are they pissed off and ready to take it out on someone?

I'm going to look ahead here, with a sense of optimism. (Fans are allowed to look ahead - players and coaches are not :-D ).The loss last weekend was extremely frustrating and all our warts were on full display. But at the same time, it is worth noting that we averaged 7 yards per pass attempt while limiting Davis to 4.3 yards per pass attempt. We averaged 5.2 yards per carry compared to 3.8 ypc for them. We outplayed a very good team but lost the game on turnovers and penalties. I believe those are things we can improve upon.

Weber still has a very valid path to the playoffs, despite the limitations we've seen from this team. Montana State and Eastern Washington are the two games after the bye, and if we can split those then we should be able to squeeze into the playoffs. According to current ranking systems, the rest of the schedule lines up as such:

Home vs Montana State - 5 point underdogs
At Eastern Washington - 6 point underdogs
At Idaho State - 18 point favorites
Home vs Portland State - 20 point favorites
At Southern Utah - 19 point favorites
Home vs Northern Colorado - 19 point favorites

Montana State will be the toughest remaining game but we have the advantage of 2 weeks to prepare along with home field. And while Barriere is magical, Eastern Washington's defense is pitiful. If we can get Barron back, get the offensive line healthy, and improve in the turnover department we still have a shot to make some noise. Here's to hoping :thumb:

The Dan said:
Kickoff at 5 p.m. PST

This is a much needed get-right game. Cal Poly is in rebuild mode and is sitting at 1-3 with a win over a lousy San Diego team. They lost by 32 at Montana last weekend and by 34 to South Dakota the weekend before. They haven't ran the ball well at all this year, not even against San Diego, but they are racking up yards, if inefficiently, through the air.

Early indications are that we should be 3+ TD favorites this weekend. We need to take out our frustration and head into the bye with some positive vibes. It will be telling to see how we come out this week. Things are obviously not going as planned this year. Does the team feel sorry for themselves or are they pissed off and ready to take it out on someone?

I'm going to look ahead here, with a sense of optimism. (Fans are allowed to look ahead - players and coaches are not :-D ).The loss last weekend was extremely frustrating and all our warts were on full display. But at the same time, it is worth noting that we averaged 7 yards per pass attempt while limiting Davis to 4.3 yards per pass attempt. We averaged 5.2 yards per carry compared to 3.8 ypc for them. We outplayed a very good team but lost the game on turnovers and penalties. I believe those are things we can improve upon.

Weber still has a very valid path to the playoffs, despite the limitations we've seen from this team. Montana State and Eastern Washington are the two games after the bye, and if we can split those then we should be able to squeeze into the playoffs. According to current ranking systems, the rest of the schedule lines up as such:

Home vs Montana State - 5 point underdogs
At Eastern Washington - 6 point underdogs
At Idaho State - 18 point favorites
Home vs Portland State - 20 point favorites
At Southern Utah - 19 point favorites
Home vs Northern Colorado - 19 point favorites

Montana State will be the toughest remaining game but we have the advantage of 2 weeks to prepare along with home field. And while Barriere is magical, Eastern Washington's defense is pitiful. If we can get Barron back, get the offensive line healthy, and improve in the turnover department we still have a shot to make some noise. Here's to hoping :thumb:

I love the optimism! I still think Weber State is a good team…just tough that the conference has improved a lot…I felt bad for the D last week, those brutal penalties by the Keystone Cops came at critical times…almost makes one think the fix was in and the crew had their marching orders. Ten of UC Davis’s points were basically handouts by officiating.

All the more reason the Wildcats need a strong offense as the conference isn’t ever going to do them any favors. The Wildcats could have put the game away many times but again tried to hang their hopes on the D bailing them out as always.

I think EWU has a defense that allows points, if Weber State can put some time consuming drives and actually execute inside the opponent’s 30 yard line, there’s a chance, but it’s a long shot.

I think Weber State has a better shot vs MSU at home, but it will be another battle.

With Weber State’s reliably inconsistent offense, and a defense that is not at the dominant level it was, they will need to eliminate turnovers and errors on coverage to have a chance.

Objectively, I think they drop the games against EWU, MSU, and I think could stub their toe one more time as the offense simply can’t score and put games away when needed.

I don’t think Barron is on much a higher level than Weisser and unfortunately looks prone to injury. I guess time will tell..but he’s got a decent sample size and hasn’t had a game like his opening game.

I think they almost have to run the table to get in the playoffs with the way the conference stacks out. At bare minimum, they can only lose a close game at Cheney, and hope their recent tradition gets them an at large bid…but the selection committee definitely will prefer a CAA or MVFC team as they usually chair the committee and have no shame about stacking the picks for their conferences. :roll:

I think Weber State beats Cal Poly 28-17, but it remains a tight game until the end. Simply put, this offense can’t put up points to run away with any game, but thanks to the D, no team can run away from them…provided the QB doesn’t throw a ball backwards for a 96-yard fumble recovery TD. :-(

Hoping they can breakthrough and take it to the level they used to play at.

I don't think this guy interviewing the cal poly basketball coach stopped nodding his head for more than 5sec.

Got the win, but looks like Weisser is out for a while now. Injury bug is kicking Weber State’s butt right now.

An overall solid game by the Cats! Feels like they could have put a lot more points on the board with just a few less miscues. And the 'D' finally played well. It should have been a shutout if Malone hadn't turned the ball over in a bad place.

I don't agree with most posters here that the Conference is much better this year. There are only 5 'good' teams and none of them are national top 5 quality. If the Cats can get the offensive line and the QB's healthy in the next two weeks then we have a chance to win every game left on the schedule. I said a chance but that doesn't mean that I think we will. The teams left on the schedule that we will not lose to are SUU, PSY, UNC and ISU. I think the MSU game is a toss up and the Cats will win it because of home field advantage. The EWU game is a toss-up that the Cats will probably lose but could score enough against their porous defense to stay in the game and win it. I think Weber still has the best defense in the league and it will hold EWu's powerful offense to less than 30. Unfortunately it is not likely that even a healthy offense would put up 30 or more.

I think we will go 8-3 and make the playoffs... In an earlier post I called Weber a average team. I am upgrading my thoughts about them to a good team. Good enough to make the playoffs!

baller said:
An overall solid game by the Cats! Feels like they could have put a lot more points on the board with just a few less miscues. And the 'D' finally played well. It should have been a shutout if Malone hadn't turned the ball over in a bad place.

I don't agree with most posters here that the Conference is much better this year. There are only 5 'good' teams and none of them are national top 5 quality. If the Cats can get the offensive line and the QB's healthy in the next two weeks then we have a chance to win every game left on the schedule. I said a chance but that doesn't mean that I think we will. The teams left on the schedule that we will not lose to are SUU, PSY, UNC and ISU. I think the MSU game is a toss up and the Cats will win it because of home field advantage. The EWU game is a toss-up that the Cats will probably lose but could score enough against their porous defense to stay in the game and win it. I think Weber still has the best defense in the league and it will hold EWu's powerful offense to less than 30. Unfortunately it is not likely that even a healthy offense would put up 30 or more.

I think we will go 8-3 and make the playoffs... In an earlier post I called Weber a average team. I am upgrading my thoughts about them to a good team. Good enough to make the playoffs!

If WSU loses to EWU, the best they could finish is 7-4. As solid as the game was yesterday, I wouldn’t get too excited as Cal Poly is just not that good.

Congratulations to Coach Hill on becoming the all time winningest coach at Weber State. It’s good Barron will be back for Montana State, they will have to protect him and play call accordingly.

Any chance at the playoffs rests on the Montana State game. I still don’t see a win vs the Bobcats or Eagles. I still think they will have close games at ISU and SUU, but I think they win those games and go 6-5.

Latest posts

Back