• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

2 Deeps Arizona State.

bengalcub

I noticed that Kelvin Miller and Kenny Viser are not on the two deeps at corner? That seems weird to me. Also, what is the status of Stew Tracy, Jordan Scott and Skylar Morgan? Will we see any of them at ASU? Finally, will Jeremy Gibson be playing?

Here is the link to the release and depth charts...

http://isubengals.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/083109aaa.html

Will the press conference be available via Stretch Internet?

This isn't going to be a "oh-shit" press conference is it? I'd prefer a press conference without poopie.

no...it's the regular press conference....hopefully I can post it after the fact. One "oh poopie" LOL...

ISUSID

Clips from the press conference available here

http://isubengals.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/083109aad.html

ISUSID

Lots of work today, but hopefully you fans will like the extra effort....

UPDATE. Kelvin Miller and Jeremy Gibson are both appealing for eligibility, so I would assume that they both have a chance of not being eligible this fall.

ISU's once stout secondary will not have the services of Kenny Viser and now they MAY BE losing another key corner in Kelvin Miller. It never fails it seems--where you think you have depth it really doesn't end up that way at all. I expected the defensive secondary to be the strength of the team. I have no doubt that they will be improved, but they might end up being very thin at corner if injuries happen. Insert Cameron Gupton and let the kid ball out.

If Jeremy Gibson does not get cleared to play, the defense will be losing a solid play-making OLB.

Cross your fingers fans and pray for some good luck in the appeals process.

I've noticed on the 2 deep roster there are some positions where they are still unsure? For example at middle linebacker it says JT Albers OR Nic Edgson OR Jarred Nash...is this because they are still deciding? Do you know Frank? Or anyone else?

They hadn't decided as of Saturday if they were going with Nash in the middle or as an outside guy, and then the Albers or Edgson is because you would see both of them about even if they go that way. Whenever you see an or it usually means all three will get run there and they are going to use more live action to sort it out. You can only gain so much in scrimmages, and J.T. and Nic have both played well, as has Jarrid, who I think is like A.J. Storms in that he's a guy you just get on the field.

They might know more after a few more days of practice, but I'd expect to see all of them. Also, sometimes a coach doesn't want to totally tip his hand...AKA, ASU listing six running backs as starters for the one tailback slot.

ISUSID

Speaking of the ASU game notes... I just read them on the ASU site and you guys at ISU do a great job.... dare I say better than what I just read. :!:

Looks like Stew Tracy might make the trip.

I hope with Miller and Gibson we go 2- 2 but if we go 1- 2 we can deal with that but if we go 0-2 that could hurt. Then the old saying comes to mind......"you are as strong or good as your weakest link" I believe this will show what kind of recruiter Z is this year. We shall see.

My concern is this:

Brad Walker TE ineligible for Spring
Mykel Durr DL ineligible for Fall
Kenny Viser DB ineligble for Fall
Kelvin Miller DB appealing to be eligible
Jeremy Gibson LB appealing to be eligible

This is five kids that are or could be ineligible that would or could have been on the two deeps for Arizona State.

Legitamate concern to have. Do these players have scholarships? How do we fare with other BSC teams with ineligible woes? The reason i ask if they have scholarships or not is if they are not going to play, why waste a scholarship for the year? I am sure there is fault with Schools-Athletic adm.-coaches and players (last year with Chris Holmsley was it?) But the brunt of this should fall on the shoulders of the players. If they can't keep the grades up then give it to someone that will. Each scenario is different but probably not too far off. Who was the player a few years ago that stayed on the team for 1-1.5 years just on the practice team becasue of grades. He should have been starting but I believe that was a waste of a scholarship. He was a db. Great athlete.

Brad Walker's was not due to grades....just a point of order. His was an NCAA deal. You are thinking of David Beverly...

ISUSID

I agree the bulk of the responsibility lies with the student athlete. I know that all schools have kids that end up losing eligibility to play.

I may not be accurate on this, but if seems to be a bit of a Catch 22. If these kids leave school and they are not in good academic standing, it hurts Idaho State as it pertains to APR issues. So, ISU may be hanging on to some of these kids and allowing them to try and get eligible to play. They want these kids to graduate, because it helps with regard to the whole APR equation. The sacrifice, kids may get a free education for a semester and end up leaving without regaining eligibility. Another problem, obviously the team loses depth when these kids are not eligible to play the season. Once again, I may have this totally "F"ed up and I may not even have a clue.

But mark my words, I have made mention to it before---don't be surprised if the Idaho State football program faces a loss of scholarships down the line because the APR issue rears its ugly head.

I am not being negative and I am not showing a lack of confidence in the coaching staff, but I am getting very concerned and my concerns are LEGIT.

My apologies, it was mentioned that Walker had grade issues in the spring. If it was not grades and it was an NCAA rule, my bad. Either way, is he still enrolled at Idaho State and is he on track to graduate.

By the way--let's take a peek:

The APR is a real-time “snapshot” of a team’s academic success and is used by the NCAA and universities to measure current academic success by looking at the academic progress of each current student-athlete. It includes eligibility, retention, and graduation as factors in the rate calculation. Each student-athlete can add two points to the team’s overall score per semester, including one for academic eligibility and one for returning to school the next semester.

The 925 threshold set by the NCAA equals roughly a 60 percent Graduation Success Rate. Teams that score below 925 and have a student-athlete who failed academically and left school can lose scholarships. Teams can lose up to 10 percent of their scholarships each year for poor academic performance under the immediate penalty structure and also face a historical penalty structure.

Things that can hurt APR:

Transfers
Suspended or walked away from final year of eligibility
Did not pass six hours
Did not meet NCAA grade-point average requirements
Disciplinary issues; removed from the team
Went professional
Working on completing graduation requirements (late grade change/paperwork).
Did not graduate in five years
Withdrew from the university
Withdrew mid-semester; transferred.

Where is Idaho State?

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2008/294_2008_apr.pdf

More info on how it works:

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/Misc_Committees_DB/CAP/APR%20Improvement%20Plan%20Resources/APR%20Improvement%20Plan%20Best%20Practices%20with%20Attachments.pdf

Dang Cub, where do you find this stuff? Nice research on the issue at hand. I guess i am glad i don't need to worry about all of this and leave it up to the coaches but yes it could be an issue later on. I just hope the other bsc schools are in the same boat. If so, so be it. If not then it must be looked at with a fine tooth comb.(imo)
Let me play devils advocate here. I don't remember who told me and it might have even been on the den but i heard that Coach Z on a recruiting trip to a potential players home asked the player about a "D" that he had got in school a few years earlier and wanted that player to explain why!? Actually i know now who told me the story and it was from the players parent whom i know. I guess i was impressed with what they told me just like the parent was impressed. I hope we get some type of good word from the appeals process with the 2 players. If anything it teaches the kids to keep their nose in the books if they want to play.

Latest posts

Back