• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2023 Offseason and Spring

Thx Lucky, gives me something to look for in tomorrows game. I need to remember to look at Spokesman-Review for info. Obvious we will have a QB who can pass and run, now couple that with a staff who will let them will be the ticket. The last 2-3 years they didn't/wouldn't do that and that cost us. That was one major reason we have been successful in the past and poof! it was gone. Gonna need to see improvement at every aspect of the game...every one. 3-8 sounds like shit.

There's gonna need to be such significant improvement defensively for this season to be any kind of success. I'm not sure I see where it'll come from. And it would be a shock to not start 0-2 this year, and the damage that can cause is a big deal. I'd love to be optimisitic, but I don't see enough new, talented guys to make up for the massive deficiencies we had last year. Hope I'm wrong.

Heavy, on that quick Best interview he commented he mentioned no expectations. Maybe there was more context to that just seemed odd. Dopa mentioned defensive improvement needed for success and that really is the key. I'm sure hoping there's some redshirt freshmen who step up and that Best picked up some transfers and portal players who can make a difference right away. BSC teams have utilized transfers/portal players that play right away and that is the nature of this game today so staff better be working that to the max on D and O. GOEAGS!!

missy-elliot-work-it.gif

Obzerver said:
Heavy, on that quick Best interview he commented he mentioned no expectations. Maybe there was more context to that just seemed odd. Dopa mentioned defensive improvement needed for success and that really is the key. I'm sure hoping there's some redshirt freshmen who step up and that Best picked up some transfers and portal players who can make a difference right away. BSC teams have utilized transfers/portal players that play right away and that is the nature of this game today so staff better be working that to the max on D and O. GOEAGS!!

Great points Obzerver. I think Best may feel some doubters in the fanbase that question how the 2022 campaign was managed. I’ve noticed this offseason he’s seemed very focused and that’s a great sign that he’s in tune with his team and this massive 2023 offseason workload. That video told me he’s made the changes necessary to correct most of the issues from last season. Transfers can be hit or miss, but if there’s a need it’s a great option. Somebody dozed off at the wheel for Eastern to go from Walter Payton Award Winner Eric Barriere to what we had in 2022. It’ll be fun watching what all got sort out in 2023. GoEAGS!

Also, this could be a great opportunity for some young guys (that were present and didn’t get much of any PT) to step and prove themselves this season. Hope I’ll see some of you guys in Fresno!

Thought the spring game was a really good look. Great day and impressed with a lot of the play on both sides of ball. Felt some energy coming off those guys.

Obzerver said:
Thought the spring game was a really good look. Great day and impressed with a lot of the play on both sides of ball. Felt some energy coming off those guys.

Fun game. Spirited.

I watched the whole thing. QB's all came out and really played relaxed. Felt like a real competition with 3 similar talents not overthinking it. If they let them run like they did in this game, the offense will look similar to UIW (not really, but the QB run was a big part of that offense) and there's enough arm talent to keep any defense on it's heels. Liked the deep throws too. I could see all three on the field as an upgrade over last season.

Tried to keep up with the players on the field but probably missed a few. Miles shined on a couple of tight catches, didn't see Green (who I think could be a difference maker) and the RB's are deep. Still a Jackson fan and hope they find a way to involve Adimora (3rd down back maybe).

Can't speak to the lines. There's some work to do on both sides but the energy was good and no one was backing down or overthinking anything out there. If they're going to suck, might as well have fun.

Not going to gush over Best. He is obviously is fighting his tendencies, so I'll try to fight mine. Overall, the team has a long way to go before the first game. There's talent on offense. Not sure about the defense. Hoping for some reckless abandon because there are some deficits. There's speed at LB, they need to be moving.

Take this post with a grain of salt. It was a Spring Game. ;-)

luckyintheorder said:
Obzerver said:

Fun game. Spirited.

I watched the whole thing. QB's all came out and really played relaxed. Felt like a real competition with 3 similar talents not overthinking it. If they let them run like they did in this game, the offense will look similar to UIW (not really, but the QB run was a big part of that offense) and there's enough arm talent to keep any defense on it's heels. Liked the deep throws too. I could see all three on the field as an upgrade over last season.

Tried to keep up with the players on the field but probably missed a few. Miles shined on a couple of tight catches, didn't see Green (who I think could be a difference maker) and the RB's are deep. Still a Jackson fan and hope they find a way to involve Adimora (3rd down back maybe).

Can't speak to the lines. There's some work to do on both sides but the energy was good and no one was backing down or overthinking anything out there. If they're going to suck, might as well have fun.

Not going to gush over Best. He is obviously is fighting his tendencies, so I'll try to fight mine. Overall, the team has a long way to go before the first game. There's talent on offense. Not sure about the defense. Hoping for some reckless abandon because there are some deficits. There's speed at LB, they need to be moving.

Take this post with a grain of salt. It was a Spring Game. ;-)

Well said. A couple of notes, everyone knows the defense needs to improve a ton. Run defense last year was just shocking. The other two critical items for me are general line play (this team seems small) and the ability to bring 60 minutes of enthusiasm to each game. There were a lot of games where Eastern just seemed disinterested last year and were in a gaping hole almost instantly.

All so true and believe fan base sensed it. Fan base had grown despite that big ticket increase a few years ago and believe had grown in a base that really started knowing the game. This last season was shocking and questions on a variety of subjects were getting asked. It will take some effort to build confidence and swagger and feels almost like team is handcuffed from several sides for some reason(s). Maybe it's just me but I'm really hoping for a turn around but looking at schedule will be tough. Two tuff games out of the blocks then Southeastern Louisiana at home. They went 9-4 last year and beat a really good University of the Incarnate Word...concerned bout that game.

Ely Doyle signed with Tarleton (wac?). Dude's a baller. Big hits galore. Everything you want in a safety. Good get for Tarleton.

[media]https://twitter.com/ElyToven/status/1649050576733495300?s=20[/media]

Obzerver said:
….Maybe it's just me but I'm really hoping for a turn around but looking at schedule will be tough. Two tuff games out of the blocks then Southeastern Louisiana at home. They went 9-4 last year and beat a really good University of the Incarnate Word...concerned bout that game.

Odds are EWU is 0-2 out the blocks, and maybe 0-3. Who the heck called NDSU for an OOC game?

In regards to the new QB competition, that’s great news! It seems like ALL successful teams have a mobile Qb these days, EWU is no different. I’d love to see a kid that can scramble and run if need be, that’s always hell on a defense.

It feels like Eastern is getting pinched by being a no-money team in an evolving sport where everything is now about money. Having an up year to offset 2022 will be critical to keep interest alive. It feels like interest has waned a lot over the last couple of seasons. I'm not seeing a lot of inspiration from this group, and dear Lord, we need to improve a mountain on defense.

LDopaPDX said:
It feels like Eastern is getting pinched by being a no-money team in an evolving sport where everything is now about money. Having an up year to offset 2022 will be critical to keep interest alive. It feels like interest has waned a lot over the last couple of seasons. I'm not seeing a lot of inspiration from this group, and dear Lord, we need to improve a mountain on defense.

I feel it too..seems we are at a crossroads of sorts. I'm really hoping new AD, Tim Collins, will be a difference maker. At least trying to be optimistic he is a game changer and make things happen.

boY_Po.gif

Latest posts

Back