• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2024-25 Roster

Tube Socks

2024-25 Wildcats:

Guard - Blaise Threat, Viljami Vartiainen, Nemanja Sarenac, Saadiq Moore, Miguel Tomley, Carter Gittens, Isaiah Somers, Trevor Hennig, Logan Kilbert (walk on)
Forward - Dyson Kohler, Marko Sarenac, Nigel Burris, David Hansen
Center - Alex Tew, Declan Cutler, Vasilije Vucinic

Anybody else?

I haven't heard if Gittens or Somers are returning as walk ons. I would think that Somers would be the most likely to return, if he is still has the same educational goals. Gittens is talented enough to get a scholarship at a slightly lower level. Both of those guys are good team players and good humans.

I know that I say this every year, but I can see a much deeper rotation coming out of this lineup. The way I see it, we go 10 or 11 deep without losing much. There is absolutely no reason to have any late season burnout with this bunch.

One advantage of having this much depth is that you can play faster. By that I mean that you can play more pressure D, more early O, and hit the O boards a bit more. There is no reason to have anyone get too tired to get up and down the floor.

We are also long enough to play a little zone once in a while.

I'm not saying that any of that is sure to happen, but it certainly could. I'm hopeful.

I know that I say this every year, but I can see a much deeper rotation coming out of this lineup. The way I see it, we go 10 or 11 deep without losing much. There is absolutely no reason to have any late season burnout with this bunch.

One advantage of having this much depth is that you can play faster. By that I mean that you can play more pressure D, more early O, and hit the O boards a bit more. There is no reason to have anyone get too tired to get up and down the floor.

We are also long enough to play a little zone once in a while.

I'm not saying that any of that is sure to happen, but it certainly could. I'm hopeful.
Every year there is a lot of depth but once games start these coaches shrink it to the 7 or 8 who make the least mistakes. Most of these guys are conditioned athletes and I’m not saying they don’t get physical fatigue but the biggest reason for late season collapses every year in this program is mental fatigue and it’s only brought on by a lack of trust somewhere and from what I’ve viewed that’s a lack of trust in coaching on the players part. You don’t lose energy and emotion at the end of the season if you love and respect your coach to certain level and I don’t see that here. That’s been an issue for a while now

I do agree, partially, with your assessment of our late season swoons. It is mostly about mental/emotional fatigue. Our coaches acknowlege that fact and I think the players recognize it as well. However, the problem goes a little deeper than just that side of things for last year's addition of our roster. When our 3 point shooting was on and Alex stayed out of foul trouble, we were blowing teams out. When outside shots were not falling and we were forced to go inside, games were tight. In games like that, you need to pound it inside and have confidence in that aspect of the game. Truthfully, we only had Jones to fill that role and the problem was further exasperated when Tew was in foul trouble. our backup post players were liabilities on both ends of the floor. That is why they were cut. All four of our scholarship players who entered the portal were told that their grants would not be extended.

Our recruiting has addressed the needs we had for better offensive punch in the post positions and more consistent outside shooting. We also needed to address the rebounding lost to graduation. We can only hope that those needs have been taken care of with the guys we have signed.

Using the depth on the bench and dealing with the mental/emotional issues are regular topics with our coaches. I know that they talk with all of their coaching network about how to best approach the issue. We certainly are not the only team to experience this. I feel that they would use any majic wand solution if their was one.

Motivational dynamics was one of my studies in college and it really is a multi faceted issue. There are certain things that a leader can do to enhance another persons motivation and mental sharpness, but much of that is still on the shoulders of the team members.

Last edited:
I do agree, partially, with your assessment of our late season swoons. It is mostly about mental/emotional fatigue. Our coaches acknowlege that fact and I think the players recognize it as well. However, the problem goes a little deeper than just that side of things for last year's addition of our roster. When our 3 point shooting was on and Alex stayed out of foul trouble, we were blowing teams out. When outside shots were not falling and we were forced to go inside, games were tight. In games like that, you need to pound it inside and have confidence in that aspect of the game. Truthfully, we only had Jones to fill that role and the problem was further exasperated when Tew was in foul trouble. our backup post players were liabilities on both ends of the floor. That is why they were cut. All four of our scholarship players who entered the portal were told that their grants would not be extended.

Our recruiting has addressed the needs we had for better offensive punch in the post positions and more consistent outside shooting. We also needed to address the rebounding lost to graduation. We can only hope that those needs have been taken care of with the guys we have signed.

Using the depth on the bench and dealing with the mental/emotional issues are regular topics with our coaches. I know that they talk with all of their coaching network about how to best approach the issue. We certainly are not the only team to experience this. I feel that they would use any majic wand solution if their was one.

Motivational dynamics was one of my studies in college and it really is a multi faceted issue. There are certain things that a leader can do to enhance another persons motivation and mental sharpness, but much of that is still on the shoulders of the team members.
Only 5 guys can play on the floor at once though and who are the other couple that get time? Those are the ones getting all the reps in workouts and games which means 8-11 other guys might be unhappy with any of those factors, in turn affecting that mental state. I agree it does happen in a lot of places and it is also on the players but you either have the ability to motivate your players or you don’t. I don’t think Duft has that in a way that promotes a healthy program. Duft obviously hasn’t been the head guy for long but I don’t think the basketball program is in as healthy of a state as most believe. Anybody outside the direct program is never going to hear honest info from within. It’s always excuses and runaround

Only 5 guys can play on the floor at once though and who are the other couple that get time? Those are the ones getting all the reps in workouts and games which means 8-11 other guys might be unhappy with any of those factors, in turn affecting that mental state. I agree it does happen in a lot of places and it is also on the players but you either have the ability to motivate your players or you don’t. I don’t think Duft has that in a way that promotes a healthy program. Duft obviously hasn’t been the head guy for long but I don’t think the basketball program is in as healthy of a state as most believe. Anybody outside the direct program is never going to hear honest info from within. It’s always excuses and runaround
As you so eloquently stated, You are not seeing it from the inside. You are just making a WAG and then stating it like it is a fact. I'm somewhat close to the situation and I have not heard any of what you think you have heard. So, I don't know where you are getting your information. The things you are saying, I have only heard from you. Now, if you are John Wooden, coach K, or our athletic director I will listen and take you seriously.

As you so eloquently stated, You are not seeing it from the inside. You are just making a WAG and then stating it like it is a fact. I'm somewhat close to the situation and I have not heard any of what you think you have heard. So, I don't know where you are getting your information. The things you are saying, I have only heard from you. Now, if you are John Wooden, coach K, or our athletic director I will listen and take you seriously.
Olds, where does Waldo say he heard anything? I guess those classes in motivational dynamics didn't include reading comprehension. He stated in his opinion, unless you were in on inside info, you probably wouldnt hear honest info, only standard excuses and runaround. I know you are close to the program and definitely have an opinion of your own but that doesnt stop Waldo from having an opinion too. That is what makes fan boards work are different opinions.

Olds, where does Waldo say he heard anything? I guess those classes in motivational dynamics didn't include reading comprehension. He stated in his opinion, unless you were in on inside info, you probably wouldnt hear honest info, only standard excuses and runaround. I know you are close to the program and definitely have an opinion of your own but that doesnt stop Waldo from having an opinion too. That is what makes fan boards work are different opinions.
You do make some good points. However, "It's always excuses and runaround", sounds like a statement of fact to me.

Latest posts

Back