• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

2nd Scrimmage

Reborn2010

How will the second scrimmage, which is coming up this Saturday, be different than the first one? Will the freshmen continue to get lots of reps? Will players who didn't play much in the first scrimmage get to play more in the second?

Kramer will continue to play freshmen to see how they perform. The offense will work on their run game so you will see more of the starters playing a little bit more. Defense will play more of their starters to fine tune their defense. You may see more special teams play in the second scrimmage. Players that did not see much action in the first scrimmage will most likely be show casing their skills on Friday. Normally, the offense plays much better in the second scrimmage.

up for the challenge said:
Kramer will continue to play freshmen to see how they perform. The offense will work on their run game so you will see more of the starters playing a little bit more. Defense will play more of their starters to fine tune their defense. You may see more special teams play in the second scrimmage. Players that did not see much action in the first scrimmage will most likely be show casing their skills on Friday. Normally, the offense plays much better in the second scrimmage.

Thanks

Watching some clips of the scrimmage on Twitter and had a question on a play they showed.

Offense throws the ball to the receiver, hits his hands and tips it into the air where the defense intercepts 2 yards from the goal line, offense then tackles him and he falls back behind the goal line. Since it was caught in open field and he went backward into the end zone that would be a safety correct? Now if he were to catch it in the endzone and ultimately get tackled in the same spot it would be a touchback?

I'm a little confused on this. BTW Jeff Papworth posted the clip.

Tacoma5 said:
Watching some clips of the scrimmage on Twitter and had a question on a play they showed.

Offense throws the ball to the receiver, hits his hands and tips it into the air where the defense intercepts 2 yards from the goal line, offense then tackles him and he falls back behind the goal line. Since it was caught in open field and he went backward into the end zone that would be a safety correct? Now if he were to catch it in the endzone and ultimately get tackled in the same spot it would be a touchback?

I'm a little confused on this. BTW Jeff Papworth posted the clip.

Referee will rule either safety or touchback. If the defender intercepted the pass on the two yard line and his momentum carried him into the end zone after the interception and was tackled in the end zone than the referee would probably rule as a touchback as he did not try to advance the football forward or run the ball out of the end zone. If the defender intercepted the pass on the two yard line and tried to advance the football forward after the interception from the two yard line or ran into the end zone with the intention of running the ball out of the end zone and was tackled than the referee would probably rule as a safety.

From watching the play, my assumption is they call forward progress, and the player who intercepted the ball was dragged back into the end zone. CALL - interception ball on the 1 yard line.

Can you tell us any more about the scrimmage? What did you think overall? What were some of the impressions you had while watching the clips?

POCATELLO, Idaho – The Idaho State football team concluded fall camp Friday afternoon with the final open practice scrimmage at the ICCU Practice Field. The Bengals' defense shined, recording multiple sacks, two fumble recoveries, one interception and a pass breakup.

"If you want to pick a winner at this time, I think it would be the defense," Head Coach Mike Kramer said. "I love the progress we've made defensively. Not in our proficiency, but in our esprit de corps. We feel good about playing defense. We feel good about playing football. I don't know if we ever felt that way last year. Ever."

Redshirt junior Micah Breland and freshman Caleb Brown both recovered fumbles for the defense, with Brown returning for a touchdown. Six different players recorded either a sack, pass breakup or tackle for loss.
Offensively, the Bengals put together a few plays of five or more yards but struggled to move the chains. The offense scored twice, once on a 75-yard run from freshman running back Michael Dean, and again on 36-yard field goal attempt.

Throughout the scrimmage, Kramer elected to run his twos and threes, giving quarterbacks Tom Jewell and Robert Kvinsland multiple snaps.

"It was rough for our offense [today]," Jewell said. "We didn't play to the level we wanted to. With that being said, we have a lot of room to grow. We're young, and our timing is coming along. We just have to stay positive and grow as a team and individually….Our defense is outstanding. They are just phenomenal, and it's hard to play against them. That's just what's going to make us better too."

Idaho State has just over a week to prepare for its home- and season-opener next Saturday, Sept. 3 against Simon Fraser. Kickoff is set for 2:35 p.m. at Holt Arena.

One thing that has to be said about the defense winning so many battles... they know the offense, they have played against each other for weeks now, and can always be a step ahead. Don't get me wrong, I'm REALLY EXCITED about our defense, they are strong! It's just hard for the offense to outsmart them, when they already know everything the offense is doing. ...one more thing, DON'T REDSHIRT MIKEY DEAN!!!

PBP said:
POCATELLO, Idaho – The Idaho State football team concluded fall camp Friday afternoon with the final open practice scrimmage at the ICCU Practice Field. The Bengals' defense shined, recording multiple sacks, two fumble recoveries, one interception and a pass breakup.

"If you want to pick a winner at this time, I think it would be the defense," Head Coach Mike Kramer said. "I love the progress we've made defensively. Not in our proficiency, but in our esprit de corps. We feel good about playing defense. We feel good about playing football. I don't know if we ever felt that way last year. Ever."

Redshirt junior Micah Breland and freshman Caleb Brown both recovered fumbles for the defense, with Brown returning for a touchdown. Six different players recorded either a sack, pass breakup or tackle for loss.
Offensively, the Bengals put together a few plays of five or more yards but struggled to move the chains. The offense scored twice, once on a 75-yard run from freshman running back Michael Dean, and again on 36-yard field goal attempt.

Throughout the scrimmage, Kramer elected to run his twos and threes, giving quarterbacks Tom Jewell and Robert Kvinsland multiple snaps.

"It was rough for our offense [today]," Jewell said. "We didn't play to the level we wanted to. With that being said, we have a lot of room to grow. We're young, and our timing is coming along. We just have to stay positive and grow as a team and individually….Our defense is outstanding. They are just phenomenal, and it's hard to play against them. That's just what's going to make us better too."

BPB: Do you know if there will be a link to the article in the Newspaper? I would like to see the stats.

Idaho State has just over a week to prepare for its home- and season-opener next Saturday, Sept. 3 against Simon Fraser. Kickoff is set for 2:35 p.m. at Holt Arena.

Reborn:

That's the release from ISU. The Journal will probably have something in Saturday's newspaper, should be on their web site.

PBP

BengalBannMan said:
DON'T REDSHIRT MIKEY DEAN!!!

Why not Red Shirt Michael Dean? He is currently the third or forth string running back. I would imagine Kramer will red shirt him unless there is a need to burn his red shirt. I doubt Kramer will burn his red shirt to utilize him as a punt returner or kickoff returner. Michael Dean is and will be an exciting player to watch. If Kramer burns his red shirt he will score TD after TD because of his quickness and speed. I said that before that he is the real deal.

A little late, but here's the Journal's recap with some video highlights and notes from Friday's scrimmage: http://idahostatejournal.com/members/isu-football-last-chance-to-shine-defense-does-it-again/article_3dc8c7cb-1a4b-57dd-9920-857883da1960.html

BengalBannMan said:
Why NOT redshirt him?!! You said it in your last sentence. He will score TD after TD! Play the kid!

I agree if he plays in games. Remember, Kramer can red shirt him if he wants too. I just hope Kramer does not burn his red shirt half way or towards the end of the season. Better to burn his red shirt in the first game and let him play throughout the season.

mguernsey_isj said:
A little late, but here's the Journal's recap with some video highlights and notes from Friday's scrimmage: http://idahostatejournal.com/members/isu-football-last-chance-to-shine-defense-does-it-again/article_3dc8c7cb-1a4b-57dd-9920-857883da1960.html
Starting three rookie offensive linemen and no proven backup QB: that's a scary combination. Gotta hope Gueller stays healthy.

It's always nice to read The Journal. It's nice to see stats and the names of players who played. No stats for defense for some reason. I'm not sure if the stats are correct, but if a team scores 2 touchdowns in 23 tries I'd say that's not bad. The stats show that there were 7 passes caught in 13 tries. That is above 50%. Pat Carter caught 2 passes for 44 yards. I'd say that's pretty good. Well one problem that I see with the passes is that of the 7 that were caught two had no yardage gained and one actually lost 3 yards. So only 5 of 13 were caught for yardage which actually not good. And 4 of those caught were for 5 yards or less. Stats suggest that QB didn't have much time to throw the ball.

The team rushed for 90 yards in ten tries. However, 75 of those were by freshman Michael Dean. So in 9 other rushes the players only gained 15 yards. That's about a yard and a half per rush. Not real good.

From looking at the stats I would guess that it was a pretty short scrimmage. The team only ran 23 plays. That's not very many. Ford, the starting back, only rushed one time. Dean only rushed once, and Flannagan 3 times. So this really is a small sample size, and I wouldn't make a big deal of it. I am encouraged by the fact that the team scored twice, and if the kicked a field goal than 3 times. I'm looking forward to see the team play next Saturday, and I think we'll get a win. I'm excited to see Michael Dean play.

Go Bengals!!!

Latest posts

Back