• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

2nd Scrimmage

Skippy said:
mguernsey_isj said:
A little late, but here's the Journal's recap with some video highlights and notes from Friday's scrimmage: http://idahostatejournal.com/members/isu-football-last-chance-to-shine-defense-does-it-again/article_3dc8c7cb-1a4b-57dd-9920-857883da1960.html
Starting three rookie offensive linemen and no proven backup QB: that's a scary combination. Gotta hope Gueller stays healthy.

There is no problem with our offense. We have MICHAEL DEAN. He will score TD after TD. Our OL could be the best rushing OL in the conference with this kid carrying the ball

Dean might be the most interesting player on this year's team. He's lightning quick, has incredible breakaway speed and his small size actually works to his advantage in that he can wiggle between larger bodies. There's potential for greatness every time he touches the ball.

But I'm not sure Kramer wants to sue him. Not just yet. Jakori Ford, Ty Flanagan and James Madison are ahead of him on the depth chart. Other vets like Lonell Woodhouse and Braeden Mitchell are in the mix. Where would Dean fit into the fold if he played as a true freshman?

While he's broken some tackles this fall, it's been evident at times how much bigger and stronger other players are. He's also been barked at by coaches multiple times for skirting too far outside instead of heading downfield.

So while he's loaded with talent and potential and exciting plays, I'd be surprised if Kramer doesn't use his redshirt. It would be ideal to let him play this first game against Simon Fraser, test the waters then sit him. But that wastes an entire year of eligibility.

We should find out this week who Kramer decides to redshirt and what the two-deep depth chart will be for the season opener.

mguernsey_isj said:
Dean might be the most interesting player on this year's team. He's lightning quick, has incredible breakaway speed and his small size actually works to his advantage in that he can wiggle between larger bodies. There's potential for greatness every time he touches the ball.

But I'm not sure Kramer wants to sue him. Not just yet. Jakori Ford, Ty Flanagan and James Madison are ahead of him on the depth chart. Other vets like Lonell Woodhouse and Braeden Mitchell are in the mix. Where would Dean fit into the fold if he played as a true freshman?

While he's broken some tackles this fall, it's been evident at times how much bigger and stronger other players are. He's also been barked at by coaches multiple times for skirting too far outside instead of heading downfield.

So while he's loaded with talent and potential and exciting plays, I'd be surprised if Kramer doesn't use his redshirt. It would be ideal to let him play this first game against Simon Fraser, test the waters then sit him. But that wastes an entire year of eligibility.

We should find out this week who Kramer decides to redshirt and what the two-deep depth chart will be for the season opener.

I doubt Kramer will burn Michael Dean red shirt early as he is a freshmen and other RB's are currently in front of him. The game plan according to Kramer is to go to a huddle offense, run some time off the clock, and run the ball more often. With that said, if his current RB's do not put up the stats I think he will burn Michael Dean red shirt to see what he can do. As of today, it would appear that Michael Dean is shinning more so than other RB's in the first two scrimmages. Other posters are saying not to red shirt him. Up to Kramer

mguernsey_isj said:

One factor that will go into the decision on whether to redshirt Dean is his ability to pass block. With an inexperienced OL and no backup QB that has generated any confidence yet, keeping Gueller upright and healthy will be an important assignment for whoever lines up in the backfield with him.

I would put him in the slot or motion him out of the backfield to the slot. He could get a handful of carries a game as well. I am not certain how many carries he can handle with such a small stature. The game is way more physical than in HS.

Regardless, I can't get over the fact that they didn't implement the new offensive scheme in the spring.

One factor that will go into the decision on whether to redshirt Dean is his ability to pass block. With an inexperienced OL and no backup QB that has generated any confidence yet, keeping Gueller upright and healthy will be an important assignment for whoever lines up in the backfield with him.

I know this is only one clip, but here's Dean pass blocking in the 1st scrimmage. He's small compared to those DL and LB's, but he plays with heart.
https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/3D...p4?versionId=3lSHK4iJLkT2X4pz3fsoyLZkoC6h_Wiq

It would be great to see the impact he would have right out of the gate, but I'll understand if they redshirt him as well. I trust that Kramer will have his and the teams best interest in mind when making the decision. The tough thing is that he has 3 starters ahead of him and his play time this year would be very limited. Plus that will give him some time to put on size.

Honestly I think there will be some good things to come out of this freshmen class in the coming years. Some good WR's in Trey Bell, Isaiah Walter, Tristan Beard and Gueller and some big powerful linemen in guys like Tavi Leuta-Ulu and Jacob Molenaar. I think our entire Freshmen team will bring great things to this team in the coming years. The main thing is keeping everyone healthy.

One thought I keep having is... NOBODY is talking about any other running back but Michael Dean, so why is he the 4th string running back?
I'm totally in love with Jakori Ford, and Breadan Mitchell and Ty Flanagan are good too. But, if everyone else can see that this kid is a TD threat EVERY time he touches the ball, play the kid.

BengalBannMan said:
One thought I keep having is... NOBODY is talking about any other running back but Michael Dean, so why is he the 4th string running back?
I'm totally in love with Jakori Ford, and Breadan Mitchell and Ty Flanagan are good too. But, if everyone else can see that this kid is a TD threat EVERY time he touches the ball, play the kid.
Well a couple of things to keep in mind: the guys on the top of the depth chart aren't getting many reps in the scrimmages, so there really isn't much to talk about with regards to them right now. Also, as exciting as Dean has been early on, it's a small sample size against a lot of second and third string defenders. Dean may well turn out to be an explosive player but I don't think anybody really knows how much impact he's going to have right away. So Kramer has to weigh all that before making a decision whether to burn his redshirt this season.

Very good points Skippy. I do know Jakori for sure should be 1st string. The others we didn't see a lot out of last year. I guess the lack of talk about them probably does come from the lack of seeing them so far (even though we know them) I suppose Mikey Dean is kinda "the new girl" ...and the new girl is always hot/or at least a good topic! Lol. No offense Mikey Dean. It's just an expression (the new girl) :o :ohno: :shock: :?

I get the impression from posters that Dean is too low on the depth chart and too small. Maybe, red shirting him is the best thing for him so he has another year to get bigger and stronger. His 4.4 speed and nose for the end zone will be back next season.

up for the challenge said:
I get the impression from posters that Dean is too low on the depth chart and too small. Maybe, red shirting him is the best thing for him so he has another year to get bigger and stronger. His 4.4 speed and nose for the end zone will be back next season.

Size can be relative. I've seen plenty of 5'5 to 5'7 RBs play at all levels including FBS teams over the years. JJ Taylor is a good example of this years freshmen class. He's playing for the AZ Wildcats and he's a legit 5'5 and 150lbs wet. I've seen his roster stats, but those are inflated numbers at 5'6 170. He will most likely be a starter this year with what he's done in practice in this short time.

As for the depth chart in most positions, it's possible this was determined before any of the freshmen touched down in Pocatello. Completely understandable as players have put their time in over the years and in spring practice. As I mentioned before, I believe Kramer will make the best decision based on the needs of the team and health of the players. One thing is for sure, this team has some good years ahead of them. Let's hope we kick it off right this season.

I'm hoping he does not red-shirt Dean. I also believe that Ford will be the #1 back and do most of the running. From what I've read I think he'll be really good. The back-up running back also seems pretty good. BUT. There is a place for a guy like Dean who is capable of breaking plays. He won't play a lot, but when he's in he will be respected. I look to see him on kick off returns and punt returns. Let's remember how badly the Bengals need to improve in those areas. I think that Bell and Walters are also two tough and talented freshmen and can really help out on special teams. We keep talking about our freshmen. Let's use them to improve the Bengals on special teams.

I always liked the old school of starting upper class men unless an under class men is a much better player. Some seniors will not be starters throughout the season and not play much but I personally think it is important that all seniors start and play the first series on Senior Day. It is away for the coaches to show the respect the senior deserves for staying with the program. That has not happened under Kramer during Senior Day in the last 5 years. Family members and friends normally come to see their son or brother in their last game of their career. Give the Seniors the respect they deserve as it is not a playoff game and let all seniors start and play often on Senior Day.

Latest posts

Back