• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

30 players have left..will we have a team in '22?

Beardown

If you count the graduates the roster will have about 50% turnover. At this point it's laughable. I felt bad when Collins lost, and he wasn't perfect, but he is a good guy and wanted nothing but the best for UNC. As for coach Ed, imagine playing for a guy that has such an ego that he does not believe he has to show up to the office every day. From my sources the guy is there just a couple of days a week.

Many of these kids will not find places to play because there are so many players in the portal, but it seems it's worth the risk just to get out of this mess.

I'm praying for a 0 win season next year, just so Dunn will be forced to fire Ed and bring in a real college coach.

It's funny, when we our football twitter posted about new guys signing, I almost replied to the tweet asking when they were going to put their name in the transfer portal.

I think you guys who think it is a bad thing to have players leave the program should consider the fact that most of these transfers are taking advantage of the portal to get a chance to play football at a higher or lower level without having to sit out a year. l checked the 24-7 sports link

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TransferPortal/

and it looks like the only player from UNC to transfer up to a BCS team was Kevin Williams. while we had two players from BCS schools transfer to UNC. I bet most of the other transfers have gone down to DII schools or lower. They are probably unhappy because they're not starting. You have to remember that as Dunn was quoted in the Tribune that "coaches are paid to win games".

https://www.greeleytribune.com/2022/02/02/northern-colorado-administration-denies-allegations-ncaa-violations-misconduct-football/

I can't imagine they sit around in their pre-game meetings and say, "Jimmy is better than Joey, but Joey is really nice, so we'll play Joey even though we'll probably lose and get fired".

This is not little league or middle school sports where everybody plays and gets a trophy. If we lose 29 marginal players, then we have a chance to get 29 really good ones.

Hey Bud you need to look again so far two players have gone D2, three have gone to FBS schools and many are earning FCS and FBS offers, they are getting off of a sinking ship, what a clown show at UNC!! Almost every player that left played significant minutes last year, you need to do some more research!!

It’s now 31, Jeremy Sadler just announced so that is the last of the starting O Line from last year, two of them are at FBS schools and Jeremy will be at an FVS, school, yep nothing but bench warmers leaving!

Let me help you Budbear, these are the ones I know off the top of my head in the portal and where they have gone or what they have as far as offers
Kyle Ergenbright-Oklahoma (FBS)
Kevin Williams- Nebraska (FBS)
Andrew Brister- Louisiana Tech (FBS)
Ben Raybon-Mississippi State (FBS)
Jaren Mitchell- Northwestern State (FCS)
Caleb Brickhouse-North Carolina A&T (FCS)
Grant Stephens- FBS and FCS offers
Greg LaDay-FBS and FCS offers
Jace Bobo- FBS and FCS offers
Chase Lankriet-Lindenwood (D2)
Chris Pope-Emporia State (D2)
Gene Sledge- FCS and D2 offers
Jullen Ison-FCS and D2 offers

The fact that we now have 31 (or more) transfers speaks volumes of where the program is heading with McCaffrey. I believe we now lead the FCS in transfers out. I'm happy a lot of these guys are getting scholarship offers, especially the ones going to bigger programs. They deserve better.

Beanhead said:
Let me help you Budbear, these are the ones I know off the top of my head in the portal and where they have gone or what they have as far as offers
Kyle Ergenbright-Oklahoma (FBS)
Kevin Williams- Nebraska (FBS)
Andrew Brister- Louisiana Tech (FBS)
Ben Raybon-Mississippi State (FBS)
Jaren Mitchell- Northwestern State (FCS)
Caleb Brickhouse-North Carolina A&T (FCS)
Grant Stephens- FBS and FCS offers
Greg LaDay-FBS and FCS offers
Jace Bobo- FBS and FCS offers
Chase Lankriet-Lindenwood (D2)
Chris Pope-Emporia State (D2)
Gene Sledge- FCS and D2 offers
Jullen Ison-FCS and D2 offers
Sorry, I only saw the transfers as listed on the Sports 24-7 web site. They must not have the current information. Are these all confirmed scholarship offers or are they walk on offers? In any case, it is sad to lose anyone. I am an old guy and still remember the days when players developed a sense of loyalty to their school and their teammates. This transfer portal kind of puts a new twist to this kind of thinking. It must really be disappointing for the fans at the big schools like Alabama that see their star players leave for the NFL after only one or two seasons.

The transfer portal does suck for fans and the coaches and just like everyone, kids are impulsive and think the grass is always greener on the other side, but of course it's not always. We need to get to the point though that we have a better culture.

The issues that are evident from not only the articles in the Tribune but from my personal conversations with people in the program are serious. Coach Ed cannot keep this "hobby" attitude, that his job is to just show up once or twice a week on campus, firing your only experienced assistant coach is not a good move, and coaches need to actually prepare for games. Until these are corrected we are in a world of hurt and we will lose good players to the portal.

It's just relentless toxic bad news with this program... I don't doubt any of this but how can one university consistently be this terrible at producing a football program... they must be trying... and why I won't buy a ESPN+ subscription...

Blofeld said:
It's just relentless toxic bad news with this program... I don't doubt any of this but how can one university consistently be this terrible at producing a football program... they must be trying... and why I won't buy a ESPN+ subscription...

I understand why you are upset with the football loses last year, but I don't understand why you don't like the ESPN+ coverage. I live in Vancouver and really enjoy the live and the on demand coverage of the UNC teams. Sometime I can't watch the games live stream and being able to see them on demand is really nice. The basketball team is doing great and it fun to see the other Big Sky teams play as well. So much better than the quality that we had with the Pluto network streams. I went to see a basketball game live here in Portland and it cost me $50 for tickets and $5 for parking and another $8 or $10 for gas all just to see one game. I don't consider the $7/month that ESPN charges too much to see the whole year of UNC and Big Sky games. Put some bucks into the program and support the team. Win or lose it's still fun to watch the Bears.

Yeah, I think the ESPN+/Disney+/HULU package deal is the best in streaming service. My TV doesn't have an ESPN+ app but I am able to access the ESPN+ content using the HULU app. As a big soccer fan, it's worth if for that alone. I have watched UNC volleyball, basketball, and football on it.

I keep hoping Butler will start filling up more for basketball games, the team is fun to watch.

As of now I am actively rooted for the first time in my life against the Bears football program. I'm hoping the team absolutely flops in 2022, just so Ed resigns and goes back to Valor or wherever. The guy is a disaster and has no qualities you want as a head coach and leader. All one needs to do is look at the players who have left, and some have picked up FBS, even Power 5 offers. He ran those goes out of the program. Dunn needs to be held accountable too for this mess.

Beardown said:
As of now I am actively rooted for the first time in my life against the Bears football program. I'm hoping the team absolutely flops in 2022, just so Ed resigns and goes back to Valor or wherever. The guy is a disaster and has no qualities you want as a head coach and leader. All one needs to do is look at the players who have left, and some have picked up FBS, even Power 5 offers. He ran those goes out of the program. Dunn needs to be held accountable too for this mess.

Even worse, he could not win games with FBS players. I have to think that the team could get their tails handed to them up and down the field. I was so dang excited when Ed took over, thinking it would be great for recruiting and that he would be all in, since he needs this to go well if he wants to progress to bigger schools. Turns out he just wants to have a bit of fun with his boys (and his boy's significant other) and then get the heck out. It just sucks.

Brian said:
Beardown said:

Even worse, he could not win games with FBS players. I have to think that the team could get their tails handed to them up and down the field. I was so dang excited when Ed took over, thinking it would be great for recruiting and that he would be all in, since he needs this to go well if he wants to progress to bigger schools. Turns out he just wants to have a bit of fun with his boys (and his boy's significant other) and then get the heck out. It just sucks.

That's true, and Dunn did NOT have to do this. From my sources (current and former players) the team and football alumni were advocated for Marty English to get the job. One former player saying he would "run through a brick wall" for that guy. Marty English is a Bear, Ed McCaffrey is a mustard salesman...'nuff said.

I'll be in the a.d.'s corner once Ed is gone and I would be glad to re-up my QB club donation once that happens.

Latest posts

Back