• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

5 MAJOR IDAHO STATE QUESTIONS HEADED INTO FALL CAMP — OFFENSE

Franko

In honor of the Big Sky media days … in no particular order …

1) Tanner Gueller's development

Unlike 2015 when Bengals coach Mike Kramer seemed cautiously optimistic about his quarterbacks, he’s come out forcefully in favor of Gueller this summer. Is Kramer using the media as a tool to build his young QB's confidence, or does the head ball coach truly think Gueller is one of the league’s best quarterbacks?

Honestly, it doesn’t really matter, right? Because with Michael Sanders transferring, Gueller, in his third year on campus, is the lone quarterback with any college game experience. He's clearly the guy. And if plays well, then the stench of 2015 will quickly waft away.

Not to get too hyperbolic here, but is there a single person more important to the success or failure of the Mike Kramer regime at Idaho State than Tanner Gueller? The team was in such a miserable condition when Kramer arrived, he deserved a few years to build a base of talent. That talent was brilliant in 2014. It looked like Kramer and the Bengals were a new force in the Big Sky.

Then 2015 happened — 8-4 to 2-9. From nearly knocking off Eastern Washington on the road to getting blown out at home. From whipping Sacramento State 44-24 one year to losing 38-13 the next.

Ignore the defection of Don Bailey, the special teams disaster and injuries to the defensive and offensive lines ... what are you left with? You’re left with feeling like Justin Arias — who was robbed of the ’14 Big Sky MVP — was ultimately the major difference between 2014 and 2015.

In ’14, Arias threw for 4,076 yards, 38 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He tossed a pick on 1.9 percent of his passing attempts. For reference, NFL quarterbacks average interceptions on 2.9 percent of their passing attempts. In ’15, Gueller and Michael Sanders combined for 2,986 yards, 26 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. Their interception percentage leaped to 3.7 percent.

The impact of Arias was much more than raw numbers. He kept drives alive by making plays on third down. The dynamic passing game set Xavier Finney loose to reign terror upon the league, and Arias helped the defense — yes, the defense. You don’t think a defender’s mindset is affected in a positive way if he knows his offense, his quarterback, is going to rattle off 40 points a game?

That’s what brings us to Gueller. As a sophomore, he has three years and a minimum of 33 starts in front of him (provided he stays healthy). If he can prove in 2016 that he’s as good as Kramer says he is, as Idaho State needs him to be, then the Bengals are in supreme shape.

That’s what it comes down to. Because I’m not sure Jeff Tingey or Idaho State fans can put up with too many more years of 2-9.

2) How will ISU transition to Matt Troxel as the O-coordinator? AND, WAIT, WHAT? IDAHO STATE IS ABANDONING THE NO-HUDDLE??

From Kramer’s own mouth … via the Idaho State Journal …

“I just know that the game’s changing a little bit to move away from what we’re being: hyper-fast and going quarterback only and throwing the ball to wide receivers on the outside as much and as often and as quickly and as soon as possible,” Kramer said. “We don’t have to do it anymore. We don’t have to do is as much. We will still continue to do it. But we can rely more on a more traditional approach. And we won’t necessarily huddle all the time, but we will be more efficient and more effective with the ball, every possession.”

Idaho State switching to a more traditional offense — if it’s true — is a possible sign for so, so many things. Is it because Kramer believes in Matt Troxel, and he’s letting his excellent young coach alter the offense to his own vision? Why wasn’t this change in offensive philosophy inserted during spring ball? Was it and none of the local media noticed?

Exactly how much will Idaho State slow down? And is the change motivated by wanting to help out the defense by staying on the field? Or is the conversion more spurred by the throught that Kramer and Troxel want to take advantage of the talents they have on the offensive side of the ball?

You know how the defense switched from the 3-4 to the 4-3 in the spring? That’s really a purely cosmetic decision. The Bengals played mostly Nickel defense anyway. But if Kramer is dead serious about leaving the hyper-fast, chuck-it-around-50-times-a-game offense for a slower ride, that’s definitely not cosmetic. … If they huddle … ?? Kramer and ISU have structured their entire identity around the up-tempo spread. Mike Kramer was the national coach of the year because of that offense.

So … whoa … holy whoa.

3) Calming down now … When Kramer promoted Sheldon Cross to be his offensive coordinator, he said he’d always have a FORMER QUARTERBACK run his offense. A year later Kramer needed another O-coordinator and this time chose Troxel, a wide receiver in college. What gives?

Better yet, I’d love to know if Kramer regrets not tabbing Troxel to run the offense a season ago ….

Here's the deal with Troxel. He's smart, talented and a great leader. He'll connect with his quarterbacks, and (I believe) find a better way to handle the offense while coexisting with Kramer's whimsical demands. Really, the only downside with Troxel switching jobs is that Idaho State's offensive line lost three starters from 2015, and sophomore Brian Fineanganofo’s status is still a mystery. With the offensive line having to completely remake itself, the Bengals are counting on first-year coach Dorian Keller to cobble things together.

Maybe that's OK. Maybe.

Here’s the real question: I don’t think Kramer ever fully gave Cross the offensive reins — definitely not like he handed them to Bailey. Will Kramer let Troxel do his thing? Or will the Big Human continue his heavy involvement with the play calling, the strategy and handling the quarterbacks?

4) Ty Flanagan, the man, the talent, the mystery

Jakori Ford is explosive, shifty and a solid pass-catcher out of the backfield — DOES IT STILL STING NORTH DAKOTA? https://twitter.com/ByKyleFranko/status/652949680540790784 — but is Ford really an every-down tailback? He’s had a penchant to fumble and cuts outside on running plays designed to go inside, often to his detriment. If he’s going to be that No. 1 RB, Ford has to prove he can grind out carries between the tackles. Sometimes 3 yards on first down is OK.

This is why Ty Flanagan is really interesting. He was the gem of the 2015 recruiting class, but Idaho State doesn’t tackle in practice, and since he redshirt, we have no freakin’ idea if the kid can play college football. Hey, that’s cool, though … we’d see him in the spring!

…. And then he misses spring ball.

We’re left at an odd point. Flanagan looks the part of a stud running back with a great body, quick feet, dynamic in high school, could have gone to a more high-profile program. At the start of Year 2, however, we don’t have a clue what he’s capable of at this level.

Yet, he’s a guy I’d be watching closely, because if Ford, who is not a big body, can’t handle the workload, or doesn’t fix his fumbling issues, or won’t hit the hole in runs up the middle, then Flanagan (or somebody) is a player Idaho State fans had better hope is ready to start producing.

Not to belabor this point … just think about this … When Idaho State’s offense is rolling, the second-string running back is crucial. Finney’s backup in 2014, Daniel McSurdy, finished that season with 113 carries for 781 yards and eight touchdowns. 113 CARRIES! Finney, lest you forget, led the Big Sky in rushing attempts with 259. Even if Ford is spectacular and stays healthy, ISU needs a No. 2 running back to perform well.

5) Really? Is Idaho State really going to slow down? I mean, for real?!

It’s hard for me to envision a Bengals football game where Kramer says he doesn’t want to run 100 plays. In truth, though, after listening to Kramer at the Big Sky Kickoff, the alterations to the offense hinge just as much on formations, types of running plays and what parts of the field the Bengals want to attack with the passing game.

Madison Mangum is gone. Broc Malcom is ineligible. So the focus of the offense turns inward to KW Williams and Josh Cook, and to trying to get the ball to Jakori Ford where he’s at his best — sprinting toward the sideline, making guys miss, stretching the field horizontally. Those are smart things, things I’d expect a guy like Troxel to implement. If Kramer is ceding control to the best coach on his team, good.

Nicely written article. Who will be Tanner backup in case he is not available? Kramer made a terrible decision when announcing that Tanner would be the starting QB after losing big to Weber State . Kramer should have kept his mouth shut and waited for Spring and Fall competition to decide who would be the starting QB. A wasted scholarship for Sanders after he worked hard to learn the system during the summer, fall camp, and season. I hope Tanner has a good season but he is not an experienced seasoned QB like Arias was his senior year.

Tanner had some troubles as a QB having to step in for Sanders now and then. But he did gain some good experience, and showed some promise. I feel he has more experience then most Sophomore QBs do. Imagine how great he cold be as a 3rd year starter his senior year. This is what I would prefer. I would have not brought in Sanders, and started Tanner last year to be a four year starter. (Hind sights 20/20) It couldn't have been much worse of a record. (Although Sanders did look pretty good in the North Dakota win)
Tanners back up will be Robert Kvinsland. He's looked retry good last year in practice and scrimmages. Big kid, strong arm!

Arias started at a JC for one year, started for two years at ISU, and practiced the same offense under Bailey for four years. If that is not an seasoned experienced QB than what is? Kramer could have had two experienced QB's with Sanders and Gueller but his ego got in his way so now we have one. Who is our backup QB and how much experience does he have? Another redshirt freshmen with no college playing experience? 5 years of recruiting and now we have a redshirt sophomore QB and a redshirt freshman QB going into the 2016 season. No wonder we are ranked 11 and 12 again.

Aries played 1 yr at JC and sat 2 at ISU before playing his JR and SR yrs. Sanders was not going to stay at ISU and that was not Kramer's decision. We have 2 other QB's on the roster that played well this spring. It is my belief that the team and Sanders are better off by him leaving. I will leave it at that

Kramer made an easy decision for Sanders to leave after Kramer made the announcement after the Weber State game. Kramer should have kept quite and let Sanders and Gueller battle it out during Spring Ball and Fall Ball. No excuses going into the 2016 season after 5 years of recruiting players and hiring and firing of coaches.

You assume Kramer's decision led to Sanders leaving. It hasn't occurred to you that everybody already knew Sanders was leaving, including Kramer, and he made the announcement as a sign of loyalty and confidence for Gueller? If it hasn't, it should.

No assumption. Kramer made the announcement after the Weber State game that Gueller would be the starting QB and Sanders would be his backup. Why say that? Better to say we got outplayed and out coached and head for the locker room. It was not long after the season ended that Sanders voluntarily left the program.

Faced with adversity and he headed for the hills. That's not who we need leading the team. Tanner is the guy we want in there, so no loss. He's the better QB, and MUCH more mobile; that fits better with our current roster and future style of play.

I can hear Kramer now half way through the season, "Our QB"s are still young and inexperienced". Kramer should have picked up a transfer QB to back up Arias when he was a senior. We are lucky Arias was able to play the entire season because if he would have not been available we would have burned Gueller red shirt. How do you win games without experience?

You get a good young QB. There are plenty of colleges that have 3 year starting QBs. They just need to be good the first starting year. We will just have to see how Tanner starts out. Nothing more we can do but wait and see.

My comment about Arias not being "experienced" until his senior year???

2010 -- JC
2011 -- Played just minutes behind Yost
2012 -- Redshirt
2013 -- Team went 3-9...this was when he "got" his experience
2014 -- 8-4. Surgical at QB, because he was now "experienced"

I hope so UFTC! I would say he's not TOTALLY ready and experienced, but as far as back up QB's go, he had a lot more playing time than most did last year. I think he is well on his way, and the three games that don't matter as much are first. That should give him some time to fine tune his "experience". (What I mean by the first three games don't matter, is obviously even with a terrible quarterback we should win the the first game, and even with an amazing quarterback, we probably would still lose the next two).

Now hold on BengalBannMan or anyone else implying using the excuse that our QB's are still inexperienced? That is not Gueller fault for Kramer announcing that Gueller would be the starting QB and it is not Sanders fault for him leaving the program after Kramer announced that Gueller would be the starting QB. I do not know of any college QB that would stay with the a program going into their senior year knowing that an underclass men would be the starter unless they did not care and just wanted to stay on full scholarship to graduate with their friends that are seniors or other senior friends. Kramer has had 5 years of recruiting to have an experienced QB going into this season so if Gueller does not play like an experienced QB than that is not on Gueller but on Kramer. I like Kramer as a coach but he has to take responsibility for his win/loss record after 5 years of recruiting.

You read into my comment WAY too much. I was only saying I think Tanner is ready, I think he's experienced, and what ever fine tuning that may need to happen will happen during this first thtee games that most liklikely have already been decided. Come conference play he's going to be turning some heads.

Well, most will say that Gueller is not an experienced QB including VOTB who said Arias was not an surgical experienced QB until his senior year as he was 3-9 his junior year. We all know that a team in the Big Sky cannot be a contender or an average team without an experienced QB. My point is that Kramer should have an Junior or Senior QB that is experienced and should have mostly junior and seniors starting after 5 years of recruiting as he made that statement 5 years ago when he was hired. I hope Kramer no longer indicates to the media that his team is still young and inexperienced as he has had 5 years of recruiting. If he does, shame on him. We all have given time for Kramer to build this program. If he cannot have a winning season this season than I believe he should retire or move on. What do you all think?

I believe plans are ever changing. You can tell someone that you're traveling to Seattle and should be there by 10 pm. Then you can have a flat tire, and get a little off your plan. You can then have a baby in the car that pees and cries, then you have to delay again.
ISU Football has had an OC quit in spring, and leave no time to regroup. Then you have an "experienced" junior college transfer run away, then another OC take a job elsewhere. These are things that you have to deal with in college sports, and it just is what it is.
We had this conversation before. Bailey wanted to grow a young QB, Kramer wanted a JC transfer. Bailey sold out, The transfer didn't work out, (you can say Kramer chased him off, or you can say Sanders is soft and not a leader) so back to growing the young QB. We are where we are, and as much as we all want to say "are we there yet?!" Guess what. "We will get there when we get there!" Kramer diving the car. I don't kow anyone else with his track record of rebuilding programs that's willing to step in and drive. GO BENGALS!!!

Latest posts

Back