• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Against the Odds: PSU Chamber Choir Wins Major Int'l Comp

BroadwayVik

Listen Here: Go to http://www.allclassical.org/ & Click "Audio Archives" and then click either
(1) "Played in Oregon - This Week" (until 9/1, 1:00pm), or
(2) "Played in Oregon - Last Week" (from 9/1, 1:00pm until 9/8, 1:00pm)

GORIZA, Italy (July 21, 2013) – PSU’s choir is the first U.S. ensemble in nine years to be invited to this competition, which featured 22 top choirs from 21 countries. The competition featured musical categories ranging from 19th and 20th century classical genres to folk and popular music.

Finalists were determined based on scores in the classical categories. Choirs competing in the finals were able to perform any song or genre of their choosing. Portland State's final set included: "A Boy and a Girl" by Eric Whitacre; "Desh" arr. by Ethan Sperry; "Pater Noster" by Giuseppe Verde; "Blessed Art Thou O Lord" by Sergei Rachmaninoff; and "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen, arr. by Ethan Sperry.

“It's quite an amazing feeling -- I'm not sure it's completely real yet,” said PSU choir director Ethan Sperry. “I told everybody all along that we're not competing with the other choirs, we're just competing with ourselves to do the best we possibly can, and they did. I've never seen a group work so hard every single day, every single minute. It's unbelievable the level of focus and commitment.

“If anyone in the larger United States is paying attention, I think they should be proud of us being able to cross cultural barriers and show the best side of our country," he added.

In addition to placing first in the overall competition, PSU won top honors in the categories of 19th Century Classical, Spiritual, and Choreography, among several other awards.

http://www.pdx.edu/music/news/portl...ace-seghizzi-international-choral-competition

I believe that one comparative advantage a place like Portland, Oregon has, with its cloudy, introspective weeather is SOUND. We tend toward the auditory.

What feels better than being inside on a rainy day listening to a culturally mature radio station's music and other-entertainment presentation, especially something like NPR on a Saturday? We love quality radio here, we love live music here, we are all about the SOUND -- perhaps not as much the visual.

That is why I thought the group, Viking SOUND, was such a thunderstruck revelation. This was hitting the nail on the head connecting Portland State to its cultural geography. This is also reason why the Chamber Choir accomplishment internationally was so significant, so gratifying. The SOUND.

The Art of SOUND in Portland. May it continue to be found in concentrated form at Portland State.

I weent to AllClassical and listened. Spectacular voices, spectacular music! Amazing how little PSU could represent the USA and win at an international competition. Shades of Michael Smith and College Bowl days. Thanks for that lead.

Latest posts

Back