• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

All-Time Big Sky Bengals?

Skippy

Weber State is celebrating its 50th anniversary as a Division I basketball program, and as part of that, has named its all-time team. (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf9/1556189.pdf?ATCLID=206598367&SPSID=39376&SPID=3470&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=8600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Well, it just so happens the Big Sky is also celebrating its 50th year as a league, and, of course, Idaho State is one of the founding members (as is Weber). If you had to name the 10 best Bengal men's players since the Big Sky started (and there were some really good Bengals pre-Big Sky), who would they be? Here are my nominations. Who would you add/subtract?

1. Steve Hayes (1973-1977)—ISU’s second all-time leading scorer, first all-time leading rebounder, leader in career blocked shots. Leading rebounder and blocked shots average in Big Sky Conference history, No. 6 all-time leading scorer. Led ISU to its greatest win ever, an NCAA tournament victory over UCLA. Had a long professional career, both overseas and with several NBA teams.

2. Willie Humes (1968-1971)--all-time career scoring average leader for both ISU and the Big Sky Conference; still holds five of the top seven all-time single game scoring efforts in the conference, including three 50-plus point games; named to the conference's 25th anniversary team; two-time all-Conference first-team; averaged 31.5 points a game in his two years with the Bengals.

3. Lawrence Butler (1977-1979)--Led the nation in scoring his senior year (30.1 ppg), second in ISU career scoring average (26.9), scored over 40 points three times, two-time all-conference first-team, had the last triple-double in ISU history; second-round draft choice of the Chicago Bulls.

4. Donn Holston (1982-1987)—ISU’s No. 3 all-time leading scorer (1819 points), No. 8 all-time in steals (104), No. 2 all-time in field goals (694), and No. 7 all-time in free throws (363). Ranks 11th on all-time conference scoring list. Highly-athletic wing player who was named two-time first-team all-Big Sky.

5. Jim Potter (1991-1995)—Three-time all-conference first team player, ranks fourth in ISU career scoring, second in rebounds, ninth in rebound average, sixth in steals and seventh in blocked shots. Played on last ISU team to win a Big Sky Conference championship (shared with Weber State).

6. Ron Boone (1965-68)—Put together by far the best professional career of any Idaho State graduate, playing 12 seasons in the ABA and the NBA; was a three-time ABA all-star; played in over 1,000 straight NBA games during one stretch. At Idaho State, Boone ranks 12th on the all-time scoring list, fifth in scoring average (20.00 per game), tenth in field goals and he had the 11th and 12-highest scoring seasons in school history. Boone led the conference in scoring in 1967-68 (21.3 ppg), and was a two-time, first-team all-conference pick.

7. Jeff Cook (1974-1997)—Playing alongside the 7-foot Hayes, the 6-10 Cook gave Idaho State one of the best front-line combos in Big Sky Conference history. Cook, who went on to a nine-year NBA career, is fourth on both the ISU all-time rebounding and shot-blocking lists. He sacrificed a lot of numbers playing alongside Hayes and with several other very talented teammates, but was still named first-team all-conference as a senior, and second-team as a junior.

8. Dave Wagnon (1964-66)—Ranked No. 14 on ISU’s all-time scoring list, Wagnon averaged 24.1 points per game during his Bengal career – third on the ISU career list, and fourth in the Big Sky Conference career rankings. Wagnon still holds both the ISU and Big Sky records for single-season scoring, averaging 32.5 points per game and scoring 845 points during the 1965-66 season. He scored over 40 points three times, including 47 against both Weber State and Idaho. Interestingly, Wagnon was never a first-team all-conference selection, and was named to the second team only once during his two-year ISU career.

9. Arthur Crump (1961-64)—Crump’s career began in the pre-Big Sky days, but his total numbers were impressive enough to include him on this list, even though he played only one season in the conference. Crump is fifth on the all-time ISU scoring list, fourth in scoring average (21 points a game), third in rebounding, and second in rebounding average (11.3). He averaged 24.7 points a game in 1962-63 season, and 22.7 in the first year of the conference, when he was named first-team all-league.

10. David Schroeder (2002-007)—Despite having his career interrupted twice by major injuries, the Salmon, Idaho native finished 10th in career scoring, 8th in career assists, and first in career three-pointers and three-point shooting percentage (43 percent). He proved what a tremendous all-around athlete he was by finishing second in the men’s decathlon in the Big Sky Conference championships. Schroeder was a two-time first-team all-conference selection.

Honorable mention (in no particular order): Scott Henry, Marquis Poole, Tyrone Buckman, Matt Stucki, Ev Fopma, Brand Robinson, Ed Thompson, Terance Fleming, Donell Morgan, Mike Williams and Byron Williams.

This is a really good list. I would definitely have Steve Hayes at #1.

I think Ed Thompson from the legendary 1977 team would have to be in my top 10.
Here are the stats for that team (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/idaho-state/1977.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). To me, Thompson made that team go, though Scott Goold was actually the point guard.

I might add some folks to Honorable Mention from Killingsworth's first NCAA tourney team (that lost to New Mexico in the dome). This would include Jim Anderson and Dan Spindler. I have fond memories of others on that team but their stats don't lead me to put them on this list (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/idaho-state/1974.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I am partial to the 1974 team because I was just old enough to start appreciating ISU basketball that year and that was the first ISU team that I really fell in love with.

I might move Humes down the list (I saw him play but was I very young). He was not a great defender but he could light it up. Butler was the best post up player that I ever saw play and I would put him at #2. Wagnon and Crump were before my time so I cannot comment, though the stats are great.

Finally, Ernie Wheeler who only played one year for the Bengals deserves a mention for hitting the four biggest free throws in school history.

Fun post.

Thanks, Spud. Those 1970s teams were before my time in Pocatello (just missed out on the best time in Bengal basketball history), so I appreciate your perspectives.

Can't argue with any on that list. Nice memories! A few I might add to the honorable mention list:

Ed Wilson --- Rebounding MACHINE! Had a game with 30 rebounds, and many others in the 20's.

Nelson Peterson --- Very athletic and had a nice shot. Led ISU in scoring during Ballard's last year. Wonder if he has any kids who are athletic like him? ;)

Jim Rhode --- Wasn't the most athletic, but a defensive nightmare for opposing players. Was the Big Sky Conference tournament MVP the last time ISU made the NCAA's.

In the woulda, coulda, shoulda department (if they hadn't transferred out) --- Chris Blocker, who went to CSI and then UTEP, and Kareem Carpenter, who went to one of the directional Michigan schools (Western? Central?).

sasquatch said:
Can't argue with any on that list. Nice memories! A few I might add to the honorable mention list:

Ed Wilson --- Rebounding MACHINE! Had a game with 30 rebounds, and many others in the 20's.

Nelson Peterson --- Very athletic and had a nice shot. Led ISU in scoring during Ballard's last year. Wonder if he has any kids who are athletic like him? ;)

Jim Rhode --- Wasn't the most athletic, but a defensive nightmare for opposing players. Was the Big Sky Conference tournament MVP the last time ISU made the NCAA's.

In the woulda, coulda, shoulda department (if they hadn't transferred out) --- Chris Blocker, who went to CSI and then UTEP, and Kareem Carpenter, who went to one of the directional Michigan schools (Western? Central?).

Thanks, Sasq, good additions to the H-M list.

Latest posts

Back