• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Always portrayed as bumbling, dumb and unethical

Green Cookie Monster

Staff member
Why does the Bee always harpoon Sac State by running a negative article on Sac State? I am sure there are many other instances where schools rescind an offer but they aren't called out.....

"He is fortunate not to be on the other end of the spectrum. He could be Hunter Pahl, The Bee's Defensive Player of the Year from Del Oro, who is a fit of nerves and frustration. And there's anger, too. The linebacker has no scholarship offers. The one he received from Sacramento State is no longer there, Pahl said, for reasons he is not quite sure.

"Sac State offered me (a scholarship) last summer, then pulled it awhile ago – took it away – and it kind of screwed me over," said Pahl, considered the heart and soul of his playoff team. "I don't know. You don't offer someone something and tell them how great you are and then pull it. I was really upset. I'm frustrated with the whole recruiting process."

You know I was not going to post this, but since GCM did, I will. I agree with the way the Bee does this. What's even worse is that Joe D. use to have the beat for Sac State. There is probably a reason why this kid hasn't gotten any offers. Just because someone is the Bee's Defensive Player of the Year, doesn't mean they are Div. I material (either FCS or FBS). If Sperbeck and staff asked him to gray shirt, that means his grades aren't up to snuff.

I think everyone understands that college athletics has become a business, and it's ashame that young kids get caught in the middle. But the fact that no one has offered him a scholarship should speak to his ability to contibute immediately. It must also speak to the fact that Sperbeck must have more potential talent on the hook.

As for the Bee, I really don't understand how they ALWAYS come out on the negative side of Sac St. If the articles were balanced then some negative stories could be both understood and warrented. To me this is an attack, on one hand you hype someone who rejected Sac St and then hammer Sac for not offering a full ride to someone who didn't receive a single other offer. Sac St may not be the best university, or have the best athletics program - but it is full of students and athletes trying to better themselves. Maybe the Bee should stick to covering the Kings and politics - two things that are very overrated!

I have heard that there's some validity to the grades issue. You don't make grades, you're not that big of a catch to begin with, they pull your schollie... No one's fault but your own.

For once, I have to agree with OH. To consistently put out negative articles and completely ignore the positives makes what IS put out come across as a Pearl Harbor job. There's no way they should be allowed to do this, especially to the flagship campus of the State system. The Bee should be ashamed of themselves. For a Sac paper to be 100% pro-Manure Pile is outrageous. One expects a Davis paper to do that, but for a Sac paper, it's unforgiveable.

Joe Davidson is the Davis beat reporter and the article has that slant to it. The scholarship game is what it is, both for the athletes and for the schools, everyone is trying to make the best deal for themselves until signing day. Do you think that after giving Sac State a verbal USC or Oregon made an offer he wouldn't have jumped? For whatever reason size, grades etc. he has no other scholarship offers, that has to say something right there. If he is such a find why don't Davis commit a scholarship and snap him up?

Who there Green Laser, you're making too much sense. You'd better stop before my head explodes! :shock:

Nice post!

I stand corrected! To be fair the Bee did give the program some positive coverage last season, especially on game days so things may be changing. There will be always be naysayers but as Coach Sperbeck and the guys continue to build success on and off the field the negative will be harder and harder to sell.

Considering the past several months, I agree with Green Laser. The Bee wrote some good articles about Hornet football during the past season which covered a range of related topics. Sure, some had a pessimistic tone (go figure with another losing season); however, many were certainly not negative. In fact it struck me that Sac seemed to receive more coverage than Davis overall, although that diminished toward the end of the season. A couple weeks back, there were a couple pieces questioning Jenkins and men’s hoops, but these are certainly not out of place and reasonably reflect the current state of the program.

Quantity wise, I’d really like to see many, many more articles from the Bee on various facets of the Hornet programs. There is clearly a deficiency compared to many other papers’ coverage of their local D-I programs.

• Hunter Pahl, LB, 5-11, 205, Del Oro, UC Davis
After being snubbed by Sac State, lands with rival Aggies. Causeway Classic should be a fun game for him.

This is on the Bee's website of confirmed signed athletes. My worry here is this kid is going to play against us with a big chip on his shoulder. I guess ucd-sucks after passing him up originally as well, might as well pick him up and make us pay.

Why worry about this guy? If the coaches thought that highly of him, he would be a Hornet. The coaches made the call that he doesn't have what it takes.

I agree with that..however, in the past (and I have seen a lot of it with ucd guys), they always seem to have guy that sticks it to us in everyone of their win's for a variety of reasons.

Latest posts

Back