• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Baseball and winning the Great West

bozar1

I know, I know, it's been awhile. Da Bears started the season out poorly but have apparently righted the ship as they are only one game out in the GW. They play the last place Chicago State team (arguably the worst team in D1 baseball) so they should win all of those (dangerous statement). Utah Valley plays Houston Baptist which is not a bad team this year so a split is possible for these two teams. That puts UNC one game up with one series left to end the season. Even if they win the conference it is certainly no guarantee they will get an invite to a NCAA regional but, wouldn't it be nice if they did? That would be a shot in the arm to the program as well as the conference. Anyway, here's hopin' it happens.

It would be awesome to get into an NCAA regional but I sure can't picture it with our record. Did Utah Valley get an invite after winning last year?

The GW did not get an invite last year which was probably a correct call. Until the teams can start winning a few games in OOC games, this will continue. I still have hope for UNC in the future but it will be a slow process. If UNC wins this year, I doubt they'll get the invitation due to their RPI and overall record.

The biggest shot of confidence the conference got this year was when Houston Baptist stunned TCU and it's top pitcher (Matt Purke) early in the season. That still stands as the upset of the year. When games like that are not considered upsets is when the league has arrived.

Oh, I forgot to add that the final series will be against Utah Valley which will be for all the marbles, few though they may be.

You get a trophy, it's pretty sweet!

Home-Run-Baseball-Trophy-with-Color-Choice.jpg

If the baseball program wants any shot at making any postseason tournament, they need to find a way out of the GW Conference. No matter how many conference wins any member accumulates, they won't even have a sniff at an NCAA regional. The GW is the conference made up of independents who still can't find a "real" conference

Well that was a disapointing season, crapping out in the tourney pretty fast... :oops:

It might be shit or get of the pot time with this program, develop a funding strategy to help make them competive or... well, I don't want to think of the alternative. :?

Beardown said:
Mike Anderson is available. Get on the phone Jay.

I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but my hunch tells me there's no way Anderson would come here whatsoever, despite his ties to the school.

No he was making like 350K as at NU, that's crazy money, we pay that to all our coaches combined, including the women's sports. College athletics is the haves and the have nots, NU is a have and we're a... well you get the idea.

He'll end up at a CUSA or a WAC school making 125K or so, I could see him popping up at someplace like like that in a year or two but not here in a million years.

Latest posts

Back