• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Bengal Men's Basketball - Preseason Analysis

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joe O’Brien: B
The Idaho State coach has one year remaining on his contract, and in my opinion he’s done enough to earn at least a one-year extension. The soon-to-be junior class he recruited, along with soon-to-be senior Matt Stucki, are looking too good for Idaho State not to lock him up until the end of their college careers.

Yes, his scheduling can sometimes be a bit much, his coaching style rubs some people the wrong way and his recruiting last offseason was atrocious. But the Bengals, with Donnie Carson, Amorrow Morgan and Stucki leading the way, should have the best guards of any team in the Big Sky next year. They will be experienced, and with a better recruiting class this time around could make a run at the Big Sky title in 2009 and 2010. Idaho State needs to give O’Brien enough job security to coach with an open mind during that time. If his teams deliver, reward him with a long-term deal. If they can’t do better than 8-8 in conference play, then take a look at him. But he shouldn’t be feeling any pressure next year. Remember, a .500 league mark was the best Doug Oliver could ever manage, and he was in Pocatello for eight years. So far, that’s the worst O’Brien has done.

Logan Kinghorn: A
To come up with double-double efforts the way this senior did down the stretch, and willingly move from his desired position on the perimeter to the power forward spot, was exactly what Idaho State needed to win big games. Standing just 6-foot-5, he led Idaho State in rebounding and willed his way to points inside. People talk about Tyler Hansbrough giving more effort than anyone in the country, but I doubt he plays any harder than Kinghorn did this season.

Cory O’Brien: B-minus
I hear fans complain about the coach’s son more than anyone else on the team, but my question is why? Granted, he never was all-conference material like his junior college teammate Carlos Taylor, but he played solid defense, didn’t turn the ball over and amazingly did an adequate job when asked to play center. For a walk-on, that’s pretty solid production.

Matt Stucki: A-plus
Stucki emerged as an all-conference player on a team that badly needed him to step up. He led Idaho State in scoring and assists. He was also an excellent floor general. I swear, there are a lot of possessions when he’s the one coaching the Bengals instead of O’Brien. His senior season is going to be a joy for locals to watch.

Lucas Steijn: C-plus
O’Brien often said his biggest mistake was labeling Steijn as a back-to-the-basket player. He’s seven-feet tall, sure, but he doesn’t have the mindset to go hard for rebounds or try for put backs. O’Brien asked him to be a center anyway. So, it shouldn’t be that big of a surprise that he struggled at times. I expect the coaching staff will try to move him to the power forward position next year and bring in a more rebound-oriented center. If that happens, watch for Steijn to excel. When he was allowed to step outside and shoot the ball, no one could guard him.

Chron Tatum: D
Tatum hurt his grade by playing so well at the beginning of the season. The way he looked against BYU, scoring left and right in front of a hostile crowd, he showed flashes of being one of Idaho State’s best players. But his game deteriorated as the season went along. He lost his spot in the starting lineup, he lost his spot in the playing rotation and he suffered from an odd virus that kept him out of practice for a while. He showed progress at the very end of the season, and if he can play more of an inside/outside role next year I expect him to be quite good.

Amorrow Morgan: A
Morgan came to Idaho State expecting to play as a small forward. Instead, he was told to be Idaho State’s only point guard as a sophomore. The Memphis native handled the new position extremely well under the circumstances. He was rough at times, but by the end of the year he was a strong ball handler and looked like a legit Division I guard. Expect big things out him next year.

Donnie Carson: A
The improvements that Carson made — going from never used practice player to arguably Idaho State’s top scoring option — were phenomenal. He came through with a game-winning shot at Montana, clinched a game with free throws at Sacramento State and pleased everyone in Holt Arena with high-flying dunks. I view him as a Big Sky MVP candidate next year if he continues to progress. He’s Idaho State’s best on-ball defender, he can slash to the basket and he can shoot jumpers. There were times when he disappeared from games, and that’s why he didn’t get an A-plus, but there were other games when he looked like the best player on the court.

Austin Kilpatrick: C
Kilpatrick won the home game against Weber State with a clutch 3-pointer, but there weren’t all that many other notable moments in his sophomore year. That was somewhat disappointing considering how good he looked as a freshman. He needs to return to form in year No. 3. With a true point guard running things again, that could easily happen.

Demetrius Monroe: B-minus
Monroe was instant offense during the time he played as a sophomore. Every moment he was in the game, he was knocking down a last-second shot or winning the game with a put back. That trait alone was impressive, but he also found incredible ways of getting open in the paint. But he still didn’t play all that much. He needs to improve his jump shot and free-throw delivery for his PT to improve.

Tom Taylor: C
O’Brien said that Taylor was Idaho State’s most improved player after Christmas this year, and that’s saying a lot. He came off the bench and gave the Bengals some quality minutes inside at the end of the season. My guess is he will continue to improve. His offseason goal, though, needs to put on more muscle. He’s still far too skinny to be a banger.

Steve Anderson: I
Looking back, Anderson could have benefited from a red shirt this season. He rarely played, and served little-to-no purpose outside of practice. But he’s about to go on a LDS Mission, and ISU coaches wanted to use his red shirt when he returns so he can rebuild muscle. I can understand that. I still expect big things out of Anderson. But we won’t know truly how good he his for another three years.

Robert Crompton: A
I don’t know what other grade to give him. Coaches asked him to come help play point guard in practices, and he did that. He even made it into a game for the good part of a minute. There’s no telling if the American Falls sophomore will be asked back next year, but he at least did his job this year.

2008-09 Big Sky Team Capsules
By Kyle Whelliston
ESPN.com

Eastern Washington

For the second straight season, the Eagles fell short of the six-team Big Sky tournament, finishing 6-10 in league play. But fans were probably too busy watching early exit Rodney Stuckey excel for the Detroit Pistons as a rookie, or getting "Rick Rolled" while watching the EWU women play. Second-year coach Kirk Earlywine wishes he could tell Kellen Williams he was "never gonna give you up," but the 6-4 guard has moved on, along with nearly 20 percent of the team's shots and 27 percent of the rebounds. In come eight new faces, as the rebuilding begins in earnest.

Idaho State

Donnie Carson, a 6-2 junior guard from Detroit, has the potential of developing into the Bengals' heart and soul in the next two seasons. Folks in Pocatello credit his fearless, explosive dunk in a blowout loss against then-No. 6 Washington State as the wake-up call that turned the season around. After losing 10 of their 11 Division I games, Idaho State went 9-9 the rest of the way and reached the Big Sky semifinals. Carson cracked the starting lineup in January, quadrupled his scoring output to 6.2 ppg and contributed double-figure scoring in four of the team's last six games.

Montana

Shawn Stockton isn't the only newcomer hoping to make an instant impact for the Griz. Big Sky fans should get used to pronouncing the name Nyandigisi Moikobu (in-DIG'-ih-see MOY'-koh-boo), unless they just want to call him "Digs." The wiry 6-7 forward drew interest from mid-major powers San Diego and Old Dominion, but he decided to make his home in Missoula. Also arriving is thick-armed, 6-7 Mathias Ward, who put up 56 points and 23 rebounds in a high school game this January. All three are from the state of Washington.

Montana State

In Brad Huse's second season at the helm, the Bobcats reached an important progress milestone in 2007-08. Montana State compiled a 15-15 overall record, its first .500 campaign since 2004-05. The upcoming season might mark a very uncelebrated anniversary: The team hasn't won a conference tournament game since March of 1999. Three of the team's four top scorers walked this past spring, but 6-9 senior Divaldo Mbunga (12.0 ppg, team-leading 5.5 rpg) will do everything he can to make sure the March losing streak stops at 10.

Northern Arizona

The Lumberjacks will miss the 17.5 ppg, 8.1 rpg and 58 percent shooting of 6-9 graduate Kyle Landry. This season's team will likely be a return to the fast, guard-heavy, 3-point-shooting look of previous years, as Mike Adras has signed two touted prospects at the 2-guard position. Zack Zaragosa brings his outside shot in from Orange County, and Shayar Lee is a Phoenix-area product who occasionally goes by the And 1 streetball-style nickname of "Lord of the Rings."

Northern Colorado

As the Bears enter their third season in the Big Sky, they'll do so without guard Sean Taibi, who was the team's best all-around player during the program's tough transition years. The torch is passed to 6-7 senior Jabril Banks, who joined the team as a junior college transfer last year and made an instant impact with 13.2 ppg and 5.8 rpg, both team highs. Coach Tad Boyle's commitment to discovering skilled size continues with the addition of prep power forward Michael Proctor, a 6-8 Arizona native.

Portland State

Ken Bone has pulled in some talented transfers from the higher conferences. Phil Nelson, a 6-7 small forward, was stuck on Washington's bench as a freshman before transferring and sitting out last season. Local-product shooting Dominic Waters came back home to play for PSU after two seasons at Hawaii, averaging 6.3 ppg as a sophomore. Also, incoming freshman Wendell Wright is a 6-5 wing from L.A. who was on the radar of schools such as UNLV and Gonzaga. He was released from a commitment to Loyola Marymount after this spring's coaching change there, and now he'll venture up Interstate 5 to play for the Vikings.

Sacramento State

Brian Katz, like Idaho State coach Joe O'Brien, was a highly successful junior college coach before taking flight to the Big Sky. And his familiarity with the Golden State juco circuit should pay off with a six-man influx, all chosen from two-year schools. Any and all types of college-level experience are welcome for a program that won just two conference tilts last season, ended its season with an eight-game losing streak and dropped 24 games by an average of 14 points.

Weber State

A season after the school earned its 14th NCAA autobid since 1968, Weber took several steps back, finishing with a 16-14 (10-6 Big Sky) record and bowing out in the semis. Turned out the 2007-08 version really missed the likes of rangy shooter and 2007 league POY David Patten, while shooting guard Juan Pablo Silveira's output shrank from 11.1 ppg to 6.1 ppg as a sophomore. Look for freshman point guard Damian Lillard to make immediate contributions to the Wildcats' offense. The Bay Area native was ranked as the 33rd best point guard in the national class by Scouts Inc.

ISU men's team optimistic

by Kellis Robinett

POCATELLO -- When Amorrow Morgan tried to explain the ways in which he expected the Idaho State men's basketball team to be better this year on Thursday at Reed Gym, he just about ran out of breath.

Everywhere the junior guard looked at the Bengals' annual media day, he saw someone worth mentioning.

He talked about Matt Stucki's leadership, he mentioned Donnie Carson's athleticism, he spoke of the rebounding abilities of junior college transfers Devidas Busma and Felix Caspari, he said his own game improved over the summer and -- while gasping for air -- he raved about Idaho State's newfound depth.

"There's really nothing we're missing this year," he said. "Every hole we had last year is now filled."

A long, 29-game schedule will determine whether that statement turns out to be correct, but there isn't a member of the ISU men's basketball team who would argue with Morgan right now.

The Bengals begin practice for the 2008-09 season at 7 p.m. today at Reed Gym with four starters returning from last year's squad that advanced to the semifinals of the Big Sky tournament. Eight players come back overall.

That experience excites coach Joe O'Brien, but what really makes him happy are all the new bodies he will have at his disposal.

Including walk-ons, he now commands a roster of 16 players. Last season, after a handful of players decided to leave the program, he only had a roster of 11. During certain practices, he didn't have enough bodies to run five-on-five scrimmages.
That won't be a problem this year.

"I've been coaching a long time, but I don't think I've ever had to figure out how to play 16 guys before," he said. "I don't know how I'm going to do it. That will really help in practice and in games. We're going to have a lot of competition, and I expect we'll be three (players) deep at every position."
Junior guard Donnie Carson said he anticipates practices being harder than ever this year.

"We'll be competing against each other every day," he said. "We already do. But it's a good competition. We're all better because of it."

The fiercest competition figures to come for minutes at the guard positions. O'Brien said he will be relying on Carson, Morgan and senior Matt Stucki to lead, but there are other capable players behind them.

Junior college transfer Kal Bay comes in as a highly regarded point guard who began his career at Colorado, Austin Kilpatrick seems poised for a rebound year now that his vision problems have been corrected and O'Brien believes both Phyllip Taylor and Sherrod Baldwin are ready to see playing time.

But the big men will have to earn their minutes, too. For the first time at Idaho State, O'Brien insists that it will take more than simply being tall to play at the power forward or center positions.

"We have six capable big guys this year," O'Brien said. "Lucas (Steijn), Devidas and Tom Taylor will compete at the five and Demetrius (Monroe), Felix and Chron (Tatum) will compete at the four. We will have a lot of combinations in there."

Overall, he will have so many combinations that he may shift the starting lineup several times before the season opener against Eastern Oregon on Nov. 14. He may even have to redshirt a few players.

That's all down the line, though. For now, just like everyone else in orange and black, he's simply thinking big.

"If we're not competing for a Big Sky championship at the end of this season, I'm going to be extremely disappointed," he said. "I think we have the depth, I think we have the experience, and I think we have the size needed to make a run at it."

Yes...I am all for the contract extension! And yes, he rubs people the wrong way. I like that, actually! ISU was in desperate need of an ass kicker, and...we got one in Joe O'Brien!

YOU F***ING ROCK, COACH!

Latest posts

Back