• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Bengal Recruit Resurfaces at MSU

Skippy

According to this thread, Amy Davis, who originally signed with ISU but never came here, is going to play for her hometown Montana State Bobcats:

http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's very interesting in the wake of her signing a NLI with ISU. Don't know how this works from a national / conference standpoint but one would think she'd have to have some type of penalty.

PBP

PBP said:
That's very interesting in the wake of her signing a NLI with ISU. Don't know how this works from a national / conference standpoint but one would think she'd have to have some type of penalty.

PBP

It could get interesting:

What happens if I change my mind and I do not want to attend the institution with which I sign and want to attend another National Letter of Intent institution?

If you do not attend the institution with which you signed or if you do not satisfy the terms of the National Letter of Intent Program, the basic penalty is you lose two years of eligibility at the next National Letter of Intent institution and you must sit two years in residence at that school.

Can the Basic Penalty which calls for a loss of two years of eligibility and requires that I sit two years in residence at the next National Letter of Intent Institution be reduced?

Yes. The Basic Penalty under the National Letter of Intent agreement can be reduced by entering into a Release Request Form with the signing institution. By entering into a Release Request Form, the institution and the student-athlete mutually agree to release each other from any commitment and liability to each other as a result of signing a National Letter of Intent. Pursuant to the Release Request Form, you may not represent a second National Letter of Intent institution in any sport during the first year of residence there and you will be charged with a loss of one season of competition in all sports.

Brad:

I wonder who 'represents' the university in a possible release...the coach involved, the A.D. or the academic administrator since it could involve APR stuff???

PBP

After doing some research it appears the NLI penalty for failing to attend the school you signed with has been changed to one year. Since Davis sat out last year, I'm assuming she'd be okay to play this year. But I don't know what rules the conference imposes on transfers within the conference.

Bozeman Chronicle story on Davis: http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/womens-basketball/article_18764136-c05e-11e3-ae9f-001a4bcf887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With no disrespect to her, if she is able to (for whatever reason or reasons) basically stiff ISU after making a commitment, with no penalty, that's simply wrong. And it opens the door to a lot more of this stuff going on.

With her size and ability she would have gotten playing time and could really have helped.

PBP

She sat out a year, so that is apparently the penalty. Again, I don't know what the conference rules are on transferring within the league.

Then I assume because she sat out last year she in essence "burned" her redshirt season. Still seems wrong somehow to me that she can do this and get away with it, that ISU gets stuck but it apparently is what it is.

Was surprised to read that story and see that DeWitt quit the team, she wasn't bad.

PBP

Are you guys sure ISU didn't allow her to go without sitting out two years? I'm pretty sure that's the only reason Mandy Morales didn't have to sit out two years when she left Arizona State; because the ASU coach cut her (& Selvig) some slack.

I don't know why ISU would let Davis do that, especially when transferring in conference, but I thought a coach reprieve was the only way to avoid losing the second year.

*edit* - I found this NLI website that may shed some light. Aside from a reprieve, the only other way out appears to be an "Extenuating Circumstances" appeal.

MVEM:

I have no idea if ISU granted a 'release' or not. Nothing has been said on the subject officially so everyone is just guessing.

Also I thought I read or heard somewhere, where the actual decision to allow a release is no longer in the coaches hands but the athletic department / A.D.

Again I could be wrong on that.

Like I said earlier it is what it is and unfortunately ISU in my opinion got the short end of the situation.

C'est la vie.

PBP

PBP said:
MVEM:

I have no idea if ISU granted a 'release' or not. Nothing has been said on the subject officially so everyone is just guessing.

Also I thought I read or heard somewhere, where the actual decision to allow a release is no longer in the coaches hands but the athletic department / A.D.

Again I could be wrong on that.

Like I said earlier it is what it is and unfortunately ISU in my opinion got the short end of the situation.

C'est la vie.

PBP

Seems that way. If was the coach/AD, I would certainly fight to keep the penalty for an in-conference transfer—unless there was some sort of major medical/family issue or something, anyway…

Latest posts

Back