• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Big Sky Basketball Tourney to be held in Reno

dbackjon

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2015/4/24/MBB_0424153322.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Big Sky Conference and the Reno-Sparks Convention and Visitors Authority announced Friday a three-year agreement that will bring the league's basketball championships to Reno, Nev.

Starting in 2016, the Big Sky Conference Men's and Women's Basketball Championships will be played downtown at the Reno Events Center. The REC was constructed in 2005 and can accommodate roughly 5,000 fans in a basketball configuration.

If it had to go to a neutral site then this is a better option than Billings, Ogden, Spokane, Missoula, etc. The only place I would prefer above this is Las Vegas simply due to the fact that there are more travel options.

I don't like the fact that all the teams get in and think the past season with drama with EWU, Sac State, Montana and NAU fighting for first place and the chance to host the tourney right down to the end created some great basketball.

I will consider going to Reno but I'm not completely sold on the idea.

I like the idea simply because it's fair. It's a neutral site and after watching the one sided treatment Montana got from the refs and the conference during this past tournament, I'm glad the new location is far, far, far away from Missoula.

One thing I don't understand is the inclusion of ALL teams in the tournament. This makes the regular season meaningless. They have to come up with an incentive for the teams to play hard during the regular season. I don't have a solution, but something has to be done. Otherwise the regular season will be soooo boring and meaningless.

king said:
I like the idea simply because it's fair. It's a neutral site and after watching the one sided treatment Montana got from the refs and the conference during this past tournament, I'm glad the new location is far, far, far away from Missoula.

One thing I don't understand is the inclusion of ALL teams in the tournament. This makes the regular season meaningless. They have to come up with an incentive for the teams to play hard during the regular season. I don't have a solution, but something has to be done. Otherwise the regular season will be soooo boring and meaningless.

I have friends who referee at both the high school and collegiate level. I've asked if they think any funny business goes on in regards to fans "influencing" the outcome of the game and they said they haven't seen it. I do think that certain environments (loud, passionate home crowds) can influence referees decisions. Maybe not even knowingly. The human element of refereeing won't go away any time soon.

Once again, I'd prefer the conference winner still got home court advantage but since that isn't the case then a true neutral site is the next best thing.

I think I read that the top 2 or 4 conference teams will get a first round conference tournament bye? I could be wrong but I'll take the time to look it up later.

Latest posts

Back