• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Bill Hawkins is going after ISU mens job

johnjohn

Heard Mr. Hawkins myself say he is throwin his ol hat in the ring for this job. He talked about the need for facilities and his hopes of raising a large amount of cash from a certain individual who he named but I can not disclose here. It was 10s of millions. So ISU has several good choices with Deane Martin, Bill Hawkins of Madison High, and perhaps others.

So... we have a successful high school basketball coach approaching retirement at Madison High that wants to coach at ISU while bringing along 10's of millions from a friend?

Is that the gist? :?

Anyone who has ever posted an issue with O'Brien being our coach because he came from Juco can never ever post that this would be a good hire bringing in a HS Coach. If you bring him in he better have a Big name recuit or three that are coming with him which he doesn't. When I mean big I don't mean one of the top ten players in Idaho. I mean a top 100 recruit like what Weber State has.

Look at the coaches that have been successfull recently in the big sky. Young coaches that have been asst at the D-1 level. You must be able to handle not having enough funding, support, and talent in certain areas. Only a young coach who is so hungy to get a shot and have the energy to battle through the issues of ISU will be successful IMO.

The money would be great but for what? Unless it is for a new Arena which then you are talking millions of dollars that will have to come from one person? Not 10 million, that may buy you a practice facility. Then what kind of a deal will the AD be making to get that?

I don't know Coach Hawkins and am not going to sit on this board and rip him. But does an old guy want to travel all over the US recruiting and getting his butt kicked not to mention take 3-5 years to build something? This job will take youth and energy.

Sorry lots of questions, just thinking online.

I literally just got off the phone with Bill. He spoke very candidly with me about the job. He said, "I don't want to hurt the programs that are in play right now." Essentially, he told me he did apply for the job, but he was unwilling to comment publicly right now based on his team's and ISU's on-going season.

Look for this story once Madison's season ends.

Old news... Hawkins already interviewed for the job. Tingey is exploring all options and hasn't ruled anyone out. Landers is right, a decision will probably be made sometime in February.

Well the money sounds interesting. But what really interests me is the comments about Hawkins not having the "energy" as a young coach. Go spend a day with that guy and you will sleep like a baby! He has more energy and passion then most men, and you see and feel it when you are around him. I question why he would want to leave his nice facility in Rexburg and go to ISU...and if he does...there's some passion.

I think Idaho State could go right hiring him, mainly because of the amount of support people would give him here in Idaho, which would fill the seats. And some other coach who says he is bringing 3 top 100 high school athletes is great and all, but isn't any coach who says that in the same category as the rumors of the $10 million that Hawkins is saying? And which would you rather prefer?

Latest posts

Back