• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Booster banned from ISU events (Journal Article)

I read the article and the comments and I have one question, is ISU as bad as the article and comments reflect?

I'm sorry Bengals. This isn't even about sports anymore, but about the integrity of your community and the virtue of academia at ISU. If this kind of crap was happening at Weber, heads would roll. No matter how he paints it, Jeff is involved in these athletic scandals and needs to step down. He once was a friend of mine and I feel badly for him and his family, but you sleep in the bed you make.

bill_idaflls said:
Reminds me more of Olive Oyl...

Touched a nerve with the snidely fryer in chief. Claim the high moral ground so your own words and actions can't be scrutinized then grab the pitchforks and damn the truth! Somebody has got to pay! Right? Besides, It's just a fever and we'll all be better for it.

wsuwaldo said:
I read the article and the comments and I have one question, is ISU as bad as the article and comments reflect?

I'm sorry Bengals. This isn't even about sports anymore, but about the integrity of your community and the virtue of academia at ISU. If this kind of crap was happening at Weber, heads would roll. No matter how he paints it, Jeff is involved in these athletic scandals and needs to step down. He once was a friend of mine and I feel badly for him and his family, but you sleep in the bed you make.

He was once a friend of yours and now you sell him out for the price of a stupid post? Please preach more about integrity.

I've been thinking about the punishment handed down to Jolley. It might be a little harsh, especially if no one else is banished that had evidence of what was taking place. How about Tingey? He is involved with everything O'Brien did and Jolley said that he would take down everyone that was affiliated with O'Brien. That includes his "good" friend Tingey. I am under the opinion that kicking Jolley out of the ISU booster club would be punishment enough, but I don't see the need to refuse him entrance to all events at ISU. He probably won't want to attend anyway after all this. Damn, I hate to get soft. :beef:

Paupeye said:
wsuwaldo said:

He was once a friend of yours and now you sell him out for the price of a stupid post? Please preach more about integrity.

Integrity: Adherence to moral and ethical principles, soundness of moral character; honesty.

Maybe, before you post again, you should actually know what the words you are using actually mean. Its easy to use words as a punchline, but much harder to actually live up to their definitions. Something you should try sometime. Evidently you don't since you don't know what the words you use even mean.

As for ISU athletics. Well, let's see, Inegrity...hmmm, if Jeff was running a sound program, one devoted to sound ethical and moral principles, would you have the NCAA on your doorstep now? Interesting...GUESS NOT.

Oh on a side not. Perceptions of people change constantly. Our true persona over time is revealed when faced with certain experiences. Unfortunatley, Jeff's is slowly being realized to more than those closest to him. Mr. Jeff Tingey once had a close friend too, a Mr. Jolley. One that was dedicated to Bengal athletics. He was so dedicated that he decided it wasn't necessary to play by the rules. This friend of Jeff's decided it would be a wise idea to give basketball players a handful of cash, among other things, which are infractions, and a form of cheating (see integrity above, Mr. Jolley's actions directly, and Mr. Tingey's indirectly, are direct opposites of said word. An antonym if you will. Do I need to define that word for you too). I'm guessing Jeff no longer A. considers this man (Mr. Jolley) a friend, and B. most assuredly doesn't consider him as being sound in ethical or moral principles. Guess he is no longer a friend of Daddy's little boy Jeffrey Tingey. Let's just say I understand.

Paupeye said:
bill_idaflls said:

Touched a nerve with the snidely fryer in chief. Claim the high moral ground so your own words and actions can't be scrutinized then grab the pitchforks and damn the truth! Somebody has got to pay! Right? Besides, It's just a fever and we'll all be better for it.

Hello Paupeye,

Now that the dust has settled, here are a couple of points:

1. You may be a relative or close friend of the booster-in-question, or even the booster himself, so you do have a right to your own opinion regarding the NCAA investigation of ISU. Good for you. However, I ,for one, am tired of ISU being in the negative spotlight and possibly being disciplined for working the edges of good sportsmanship and common sense when it comes to money in sports. Quite frankly, I'm tired of money being in charge--or worse yet, even thinking that it is.

2. To say that you "touched a nerve" merely flatters yourself. What you really touched was my "Disgust Button". I'm tired of hearing this whole disgusting episode and a possible new low for ISU. In an earlier post, I stated that I really wasn't interested in knowing the name of the booster. So, in that spirit, let's wait for the final report from the NCAA investigation concerning He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named. If things are wrong, let's be responsible enough to make things right.

Bill and Waldo said it mostly how I feel.

However, the NCAA could find very little and the problem still existed and still happened. This concerns me, if the penalty is light--no big deal, right?

What sickens me the most if everyone blaming everyone else and the way the situation has been handled by the booster and Idaho State.

1st Martin and the OB regime. These concerns were there all along, but only acted on in revenge. Don't be fooled.

Next, Tingey's response to the allegations. Unprofessional to say the least. Compounded the probelm.

Third the booster, behind the scenes threatening everyone and just being a plane dick.

It could have happened this way:

Martin tells
Tingey is humble and accepts allegations and initiates investigation professionally.
Booster is banned and accepts ban without being butt hurt. This is normal protocol for situations like this.
ISU self reports.
NCAA investigates.
Booster cooperates.
Booster and Department could be cleared.
Booster in reinstated.
Everyone learns something.
Mistakes are not duplicated.

Instead you have a clusterfu*k. And the way the situation has been handled (leaks included) leads me to believe that ISU has a crisis of leadership. Look at the drama on lower campus and now look at this. Same stack of crap with both--incompetent, arrogant and lacking in professionalism.

It is embarrassing and 'black eye' to Idaho State University and the Pocatello community.

One step forward, three steps back. Two steps forward, four steps back. The beat goes on and on.

wsuwaldo said:
Paupeye said:
wsuwaldo said:

Integrity: Adherence to moral and ethical principles, soundness of moral character; honesty.

Maybe, before you post again, you should actually know what the words you are using actually mean. Its easy to use words as a punchline, but much harder to actually live up to their definitions. Something you should try sometime. Evidently you don't since you don't know what the words you use even mean.

As for ISU athletics. Well, let's see, Inegrity...hmmm, if Jeff was running a sound program, one devoted to sound ethical and moral principles, would you have the NCAA on your doorstep now? Interesting...GUESS NOT.

Oh on a side not. Perceptions of people change constantly. Our true persona over time is revealed when faced with certain experiences. Unfortunatley, Jeff's is slowly being realized to more than those closest to him. Mr. Jeff Tingey once had a close friend too, a Mr. Jolley. One that was dedicated to Bengal athletics. He was so dedicated that he decided it wasn't necessary to play by the rules. This friend of Jeff's decided it would be a wise idea to give basketball players a handful of cash, among other things, which are infractions, and a form of cheating (see integrity above, Mr. Jolley's actions directly, and Mr. Tingey's indirectly, are direct opposites of said word. An antonym if you will. Do I need to define that word for you too). I'm guessing Jeff no longer A. considers this man (Mr. Jolley) a friend, and B. most assuredly doesn't consider him as being sound in ethical or moral principles. Guess he is no longer a friend of Daddy's little boy Jeffrey Tingey. Let's just say I understand.

I like how you question my understanding of a word with: "Maybe, before you post again, you should actually know what the words you are using actually mean." then you proceed to defend your apparent lack of it by writing this: "Perceptions of people change constantly. Our true persona over time is revealed when faced with certain experiences." Are you making new accusations waldo? Alluding to inside knowledge? Or simply choosing to believe and say the worst about a person you once called friend? You don't know that any of this will hold water, or do you? If you know only what you have been able to read in the press and here, then yes, the rafters of your persona could use some shoring up.

"Integrity can be regarded as the opposite of hypocrisy, in that it regards internal consistency as a virtue, and suggests that parties holding apparently conflicting values should account for the discrepancy."--Wiki

Maybe you can account for it waldo; thus far you haven't

bill_idaflls said:
Paupeye said:
bill_idaflls said:

Hello Paupeye,

Now that the dust has settled, here are a couple of points:

1. You may be a relative or close friend of the booster-in-question, or even the booster himself, so you do have a right to your own opinion regarding the NCAA investigation of ISU. Good for you. However, I ,for one, am tired of ISU being in the negative spotlight and possibly being disciplined for working the edges of good sportsmanship and common sense when it comes to money in sports. Quite frankly, I'm tired of money being in charge--or worse yet, even thinking that it is.

2. To say that you "touched a nerve" merely flatters yourself. What you really touched was my "Disgust Button". I'm tired of hearing this whole disgusting episode and a possible new low for ISU. In an earlier post, I stated that I really wasn't interested in knowing the name of the booster. So, in that spirit, let's wait for the final report from the NCAA investigation concerning He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named. If things are wrong, let's be responsible enough to make things right.

Hello to you Bill,
Not a relative or close friend, don't even know what the guy looks like sir; I do know what a self-aggrandized lynch mob looks like though.

"So, in that spirit, let's wait for the final report from the NCAA investigation concerning He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named. If things are wrong, let's be responsible enough to make things right."--Bill

Well that's admirable and just fine except it's not your Pound of flesh that's on the line and you can't reverse this type of damage anyway. Wouldn't it have been better not to pile-on in the first place? To hell with the ends justifying it (major pet peeve of mine you may have noticed).

Paupeye said:
wsuwaldo said:
Paupeye said:
wsuwaldo said:

I like how you question my understanding of a word with: "Maybe, before you post again, you should actually know what the words you are using actually mean." then you proceed to defend your apparent lack of it by writing this: "Perceptions of people change constantly. Our true persona over time is revealed when faced with certain experiences." Are you making new accusations waldo? Alluding to inside knowledge? Or simply choosing to believe and say the worst about a person you once called friend? You don't know that any of this will hold water, or do you? If you know only what you have been able to read in the press and here, then yes, the rafters of your persona could use some shoring up.

"Integrity can be regarded as the opposite of hypocrisy, in that it regards internal consistency as a virtue, and suggests that parties holding apparently conflicting values should account for the discrepancy."--Wiki

Maybe you can account for it waldo; thus far you haven't

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Okay guy!! I could care less at this point. Figured some solidarity would be appreciate by the Bangel faithful. I guess, you are a person who feels that if he is consistenly cheating and lying to his friends, associates, colleagues, and neighbors that you are justified and a man of integrity. Interesting, just like your installations business. Takes a bit more to exhibit inegrity, but I don't have time to argue rhetoric with you and I don't want to. You aren't a person I respect, nor ever will. Nice Wiki definition by the way. Best way to show how irrelevant you and your argument is.

In the e-mails, all dated June 5, Jolley told the university employee that “ISU claims there were violations that were under Joe O’Brien’s watch but I’ve always been cool and told investigators that I acted alone. I was trying to be cool and protect everyone and go down alone. But I’m done with that attitude.”

“…I’m tired of being the nice guy while your friends make it their mission to take me down,” Jolley wrote to the ISU employee. “I’m meeting with the NCAA tomorrow and will do everything in my power to destroy anyone associated with Joe O’Brien. So obviously I’m (upset) and have nothing to lose.”

What more needs to be said. I mean really? :roll:

Those statements pretty much spell out an admissiom of guilt. If you admit that you are guilty, then the statement of being innocent until proven guilty goes by the wayside :nod: So, Jolley says he acted on his own just to be "cool", but now says he is taking everyone else down with him if they come down on him. That is what I call the 11th comandment- "thou shalt no get caught" or, as a friend says the 11th is- "thou shalt not shit thyself" .
Anyway, now we find ourselves waithing for the NCAA to make a ruling. Not all of us think much of the NCAA, but call it what you want, there has to be a governing body in college basketball and if rules have been broken, then the guilty has to pay the price.
It is amazing to me at the same time, when the actions of Ohio State, Duke, Kentucky, USC can be overlooked in taking care of power house Idaho State. :twocents:

Bandit said:
Those statements pretty much spell out an admissiom of guilt. If you admit that you are guilty, then the statement of being innocent until proven guilty goes by the wayside :nod: So, Jolley says he acted on his own just to be "cool", but now says he is taking everyone else down with him if they come down on him. That is what I call the 11th comandment- "thou shalt no get caught" or, as a friend says the 11th is- "thou shalt not shit thyself" .
Anyway, now we find ourselves waithing for the NCAA to make a ruling. Not all of us think much of the NCAA, but call it what you want, there has to be a governing body in college basketball and if rules have been broken, then the guilty has to pay the price.
It is amazing to me at the same time, when the actions of Ohio State, Duke, Kentucky, USC can be overlooked in taking care of power house Idaho State. :twocents:

Or, those statements pretty much spell out someone who has been sold out. Trust Mr. Martin, who blew this whistle (only when it no longer benefited his agenda). I could be wrong but Jolley may only be objecting to the duals of a dip-shit bus spinning out on his carcass. Being on that bus makes way too many of you feel good by the way; I'd rather take shots at the bus for now. Not to aggravate you who are now invested in stupid assumptions.

Paupeye,
No one thinks Martin is innocent in this at all, as far as I can understand. I understand how you feel about someone being innocent until proven guilty and going through due process. That's the way it should be, but Jolley admitted his guilt. If he hadn't of been on the bus or standing in front of it he wouldn't have been run over. It's all the O'Brien era like Jolley says, and It is hard to imagine that is doesn't include Tingey.
Seldom do these coverup schemes last over the long haul and I can't think of any that would be more risky than something that included coaches, recruiting, and AD's. A coaches job is never secure, so when he gets the ax, the wheels come off the "bus". There's no doubt that Martin probably squelched his coaching career when turning tattle tail.
No news is good news, and maybe ISU won't have any sanctions placed upon the program. My :twocents: is that Jolley should have no more contact or input as to recruiting, but I don't think he should be banned from attending all ISU events. The athletic department has to take most of the blame for allowing this to happen.
I'm out until the final ruling on this matter.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2012/july/central+florida+cited+for+recruiting+violations%2C+lack+of+institutional+control" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Central Florida cited for Violation: Central Florida cited for recruiting violations, lack of institutional control.

That could be the same letter sent to ISU except they change the names(to protect the innocent). The other exception is that we are assuming the ISU is only faced with basketball infractions.
I know, I said I wasn't going to post till later, but I'm bored. :o

I think the penalties will be light if any.

It's the situation that ISU got itself in that worries me. The booster (former basketball assistant) did not know he broke the rules. Why has compliance not done more to educate boosters on what they can and cannot do? Can the AD handle any crisis moving forward while not coming off as snide and arrogant. Finally, can ISU succeed with so much animosity in the athletic department and thrive in an environment where the President of the University and upper level administration is mired in so much controversy?

I hope so, but I am worried.

I wonder if ISU does anything like this...

Booster Guide
University of Arkansas

Thanks to the support of our many fans and friends, the University of Arkansas family of student-athletes, coaches, and athletics department stand to become a success both on the field and off. This guide is provided to each member of the Razorback Foundation, Inc., by mail during the academic year. We have provided it here as a reference for you if you have any questions about what is permissible as a booster. If you would like to print a full copy of this guide, please click on the link on the left side of the page.

The NCAA defines a booster as:
* An individual who is a member of the institution's athletics booster club.

* An individual who has made financial contributions to the booster club or the Athletic Department.

* An individual who is involved in providing benefits (e.g. summer jobs) to prospects or enrolled student-athletes.

* An individual who has been otherwise involved in promoting University of Arkansas (i.e. buying season tickets).

Remember: Once you are identified as a booster, you never lose that identity.

The University of Arkansas appreciates your interest in our athletics programs. Please join us in our efforts to ensure a successful career at Arkansas for our students and to maintain a high standard of ethical conduct for our athletics program.

NCAA Rules Regarding Student-Athletes

You May Not provide a student-athlete any benefits or special arrangements.

You May Not provide room and/or board or any type of transportation during the summer for a student-athlete with eligibility remaining.

You May Not provide room, board, or transportation costs incurred by friends or family of an enrolled student-athlete with eligibility remaining.

You May Not expend funds to entertain student-athletes, their friends or relatives. Things such as buying a soda or a cup of coffee for them could jeopardize their eligibility.

You May Not use the name, picture or appearance of an enrolled student-athlete to directly advertise, recommend or promote sales or use of a commercial product or service of any kind.

You May Not use the name, picture or appearance of an enrolled student-athlete to promote an educational or charitable cause until it has been approved by the Compliance Office.

You May Not provide any payment of expense or loan of any automobile for a student-athlete for any reason.

You May Not provide awards or gifts directly to a student-athlete or his/her family or friends for his/her athletic performance. All awards financed by boosters must first be approved by the athletic department and meet NCAA award requirements.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who is a prospective student-athlete?

A prospect is any student who has entered the ninth grade. A student who has not started classes for the ninth grade becomes a prospect if the University of Arkansas provides that individual (or friends and relatives) any financial assistance or other benefits the University does not provide to prospects generally.

Q: Can a booster contact a prospect or their parents on or off campus?

Boosters cannot have any in-person recruiting contact with a prospect or the prospect's parents or legal guardian (s) or relatives on or off campus at any time.

Q: Is it permissible for a booster to provide enrolled student-athletes a home cooked meal?

Yes, provided the meal is on an "occasional" basis and any such meal is not at a restaurant. Remember, this is the ONLY time you may transport a student-athlete. Note: All requests must receive prior approval.

Q: Is it permissible for a booster to employ a student-athlete?

Yes. Please remember that compensation must be paid only for work actually performed and at a rate in that locality for similar services. The athletics department should approve such employment.

What Can Boosters Do?
You May speak to a prospect via telephone ONLY if the prospect initiates the call and the call is not for recruiting purposes. Any athletics related question must be referred to the athletic department.

You May attend high school and junior college athletic events.

You May discuss summer employment arrangements with a prospect after he/she has signed a National Letter of Intent.

You May attend a public event (e.g. a high school awards banquet or dinner) at which prospects are in attendance. No attempt should be made to recruit the prospect.

You May send to the U of A coaching staff any newspaper clippings or other information about prospects which you think would be of interest. Your assistance this way is very helpful. The coaching staff will then make the contact with the prospect.

You May play "pick up" basketball or softball games, continue neighborhood picnics or backyard barbecues and engage in your normal activities with prospects and their parents who are family friends. Again, you simply ARE NOT PERMITTED to attempt to recruit the prospect or discuss the athletic program.

PLEASE HELP THE RAZORBACKS

If you have any knowledge of any improprieties either intentional or unintentional, let us know so that we may act immediately to take corrective action. The University of Arkansas and all its constituencies are obligated through membership in the NCAA to report all improprieties. Please understand that violations of NCAA rules by alumni and supporters of the University of Arkansas could affect the eligibility of the involved student-athlete and impose sanctions on the University of Arkansas athletics department.

All student-athlete speaking engagements must be approved in advance by the Athletic Department.

If you have any questions, please contact:
Jon Fagg
Senior Associate Athletics Director
University of Arkansas
P.O. Box 7777
Fayetteville, AR 72702-7777
Work: (479) 575-7953
Fax: (479) 575-5290

'The booster (former basketball assistant) did not know he broke the rules'......?

total bullshit - he knew, he had to know, he should have known... pick one

if the douche 'booster' is claiming he didn't know - then he is a liar

same goes for the athletic director

jmho

Latest posts

Back