• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts, upgrade to remove ads and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your BigSkyFans.com experience today!

@Cal Poly

Chex

Active member
I think Weber State has the potential to win this game on the road, but just not seeing it after Saturday’s performance. I think they make it a game until the end but lose 42-35.
 
Chex, I get it. Weber is competitive, but are the Cats strong enough to pull out a W? This is going to be another one of those close, hard-fought, games.

Weirdly though (I hope this isn't a really bad case of purple tinted glasses syndrome), I feel our defense matches up with Cal Poly fairly well and that our offense will be hard to handle; especially if the Cats can hold onto the ball. Like I said in another thread, love SLO. It is really one of the most uniquely incredible places in the west. Really wish I was in a position to go to this game.
 
This is one game I predicted a W for the Wildcats preseason. But to date, Cal Poly is playing better than expected. The Wildcats can make a fight of it, but they've got to be much better at starting on all cylinders, take care of the ball (TOs kill momentum) & as Coach Kjar mentioned postgame, make better decisions on offensive play calling (i.e. be more thoughtful about sticking with the analytics model's-to go for it- on 4th downs with short yardage instead of kicking FGs).

These Wildcat players & coaches are learning from some hard lessons, tough breaks. Portland St. was a bad loss. Wildcats SB competitive, optimistically make it a close game, but the Mustangs are favored to get the W at home. If so, not necessarily a bad loss. Feel a couple of likely wins still in store for the Cats (home games vs. Idaho & Utah Tech.)🤔
 
I assume we will play a cleaner game on offense. It looks like Dahle is getting the start so hopefully he can settle in early and not have to be such a gunslinger to bring the team back.

Defense needs to start faster and slow down the big play, I would say eliminate, but not sure thats possible with our personnel.

Kjar is a competitor. I think we clean up the turnovers and win another shootout.
 
Apparently all the non-student tickets sold out yesterday. Depending on how full the student section is could be a full house.
Such a great place to catch a college football game. Is there a promotion going on or are fans just jazzed for Cal Poly football? That would be sooooo awesome if that was the case. I've been to SLO for football twice. Weber lost once 47-0 (Sears was given notice after that one) and the other when Hill was coach. Weber won that one. Neither time was the stadium that full. Great fan support, but not a full stadium.
 
Such a great place to catch a college football game. Is there a promotion going on or are fans just jazzed for Cal Poly football? That would be sooooo awesome if that was the case. I've been to SLO for football twice. Weber lost once 47-0 (Sears was given notice after that one) and the other when Hill was coach. Weber won that one. Neither time was the stadium that full. Great fan support, but not a full stadium.

Last time I saw Weber play in person was in 2008 in San Luis Obispo when Weber beat Cal Poly at our opening round of playoffs we were hosting. That one hurt. I wasn't super familiar with your team then, but that was horrible.

As far as promotions for this game: It is parents' weekend which generally is higher attended, but has never sold out so early before that I can remember. The student section is the question mark, whether they fill it up or not.. but it should be pretty full.

They do some other promotions sometimes one is a free semester of tuition for one student they announce the student who won after the 3rd quarter in the game, so generally quite a few students leave after that.

The students have been sticking around longer and are a bit rowdier this year than in the past though. It is starting to become the fun thing to do, when it wasn't so much for a while there..

It should be a pretty good time. Weather looks nice with a high of 90 on Saturday but will cool off a lot by 5 and you'll want a jacket by 7.

I will be watching on ESPN+ with you guys, as I didn't secure a ticket.
 
Last time I saw Weber play in person was in 2008 in San Luis Obispo when Weber beat Cal Poly at our opening round of playoffs we were hosting. That one hurt. I wasn't super familiar with your team then, but that was horrible.

As far as promotions for this game: It is parents' weekend which generally is higher attended, but has never sold out so early before that I can remember. The student section is the question mark, whether they fill it up or not.. but it should be pretty full.

They do some other promotions sometimes one is a free semester of tuition for one student they announce the student who won after the 3rd quarter in the game, so generally quite a few students leave after that.

The students have been sticking around longer and are a bit rowdier this year than in the past though. It is starting to become the fun thing to do, when it wasn't so much for a while there..

It should be a pretty good time. Weather looks nice with a high of 90 on Saturday but will cool off a lot by 5 and you'll want a jacket by 7.

I will be watching on ESPN+ with you guys, as I didn't secure a ticket.
I played in that game. You’re welcome! 😜
Weber’s offense can hang with anyone in the Big Sky this season but they can’t turn the ball over. Our defense is offensive to my eyes. I expect another high scoring affair. Go Cats!
 
Weber can definitely score on CP's defense. That shouldn't be an issue.

The issue is if Weber can at least slow down their running game. They have some small, but fast, RBs. Their passing game is okay, but is prone to giving up interceptions. Stop or slow their RBs and we have a better than 50/50 chance at leaving there with a win. I'm sure that our coaches worked on that all week. We need to get them in 3rd and long situations often. I'm hopeful.
 
I say Poly by 4. Weber has exhibited a lack of ability to close games that go down to the wire. Will this be repeated again? Hopefully I am as wrong with this guess as I was with Portland State game. If they turn the ball over even half as much as they did against PSU they are doomed.
 
The defense came through in the second overtime. Great to see them finally getting it done.

Still too many TOs and 'freshman' mistakes at QB, but got it done with the game on the line.

That game had everything. Now we get UI at home.
 
Good game guys. Cal Poly looked themselves in the mirror this morning and said: "Let's wear white today instead of green, and lose." and that's exactly what they did. Following this team is hard sometimes (most of the time).
 
A back & forth fight to the end. Pulling out a win will help the Wildcats build some confidence & hopefully learn from the mistakes they made, which were fewer than last game. Bet Dahle is feeling sore after some hits, he continues to impress for a freshman.
 
Good game guys. Cal Poly looked themselves in the mirror this morning and said: "Let's wear white today instead of green, and lose." and that's exactly what they did. Following this team is hard sometimes (most of the time).
This is the best CPSO team in a long time. It seems like the Stangs have the guy who can succeed in that community. This is just year one of new coaching staffs for both of our programs. Better things are coming.
 
Wow!! The Cats should have lost that one, but pulled it out. Awesome win on the road. No disrespect to Cal Poly. That program has gotten a lot better and fast. Really admire their run game and their QB. He really did an excellent job running their offense. I feel they could add some option elements. I know Poly fans don't want to hear that, but with their QB, different sized RBs, and mobile line...Poly would be even that much more dangerous as an offense. I'd add some. I'm sure their playbook has some option elements. No matter, that was a fun game to watch.

Weber needs to cut the turnovers and bummer with the injuries. Session was out with a pulled hamstring. Even though they gave up a ton of yards, the defense was stout and made stops when it needed to. The defense is getting better.

Such a weird season for the Cats and for the Big Sky in general. Lots of parity in the league this season. If anything, there are no "off" weeks. Gotta bring it every week. Love how tough the Big Sky is.
 
Last edited:
Good win. Need to keep the momentum going to entice transfers for next season. If we can get a few key positions on defense we could be scary.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top